This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 955 - Bugs and issues

I thought it might be nice, or usefull, to have a single topic with confirmed bugs and issues with the forerunner 955 watches. Having the solar myself and noticing at least 2 serious bugs, this is good to know for users and Garmin themselves. Perhaps it can be stickied?

People can comment or mention bugs in the comments, or message me directly, and if confirmed by others (or me) I will update the main post. Preferably with as much info as possible.

BUGS

Maps and navigation

• Navigate -> Use map: Impossible to select target location (FW 10.10)
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/296161/can-t-select-target-using-map-to-navigate

Trying to use the map to navigate to a target point doesn't work. Most of the times the crossharis needed to select a location aren't visible and long-pressing start (usually needed to select the location) doesn't do anything. There are also no other ways to select a location on the map. Sometimes they DO appear and selecting the location is possible, however actually starting the navigation reboots the watch.

*Edit*
    This seems to happen when the location you select results in multiple options (in my case for example ', , ') if I somehow am able to select a location with no alternative options it does not seem to crash. Crosshairs still appear only the first (few?) times after a reboot.

• Starting a course directly from the "Navigation" app redirects you to the 'Navigation selection screen' (which  is then a bit hard to get out of)
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/298420/cant-start-a-course-on-my-fr-955/1443050#1443050

When going to the Navigation activity and select a course to follow it seems to load the course but then redirects you to the same selection screen where you get the option to again select a course, point of interest, etc. Pressing back once stays in the navigation screen, you need to press back a few times quickly to exit. When then starting another activity the course selected above IS loaded. Other ways such as selecting a saved location DO work and selecting a course for navigation directly from another activity also works.

• Some custom maps might crash watch?

Hard to verify

• Incorrect/garbled rendering of custom maps
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/301385/rendering-of-custom-maps-broken/

3rd party OSM based maps seem to render incorrectly, while working on the fenix 7 and FR945 watches.

• Autozoom - Map toggles between extremely zoomed out view and normal zoom level (when showing turns/changing view?) during navigation

While using navigation and with map autozoom set to enabled, the map screen switches between a way zoomed out state making it impossible to see context regarding streets, etc and normal view when you switch screens or when an instruction is shown. Again switching screens toggles it back, this actually could be reproduced constently (both during cycling as walking activities). When autozoom is disabled and setting a specific zoom level manually this doesn't happen.

• Map Zoom level reverts back to default (FW 10.10)

When zooming in or out of the map the zoom level is not retained, it however reverts back to the default zoom level when going back to the map/different screen. Scrolling/pannign around IS saved/stored.

Apparently this is by design, and can be fixed by turning of auto-zoom for maps:
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/296512/forerunner-955---bugs-and-issues/1433961#1433961

Touch:

• Swipe from left to right on the map (in order to pan) triggers the menu to open

When making the swip motion from left to right on the map to pan it will open the menu (and exiting can reset zoom on map if autozoom is set). A workaround is to either swipe slowly, or don't remove your finger from the screen right away but let it rest for just a bit longer before releasing the touch screen (might take some getting used to). Not limited to maps, also in other screens.

Fixed in 11.12

• Touch with a map screen in an activity only works when "General Touch" is enabled

When touch is enabled for an activity but not for general use, touch can not be used on the map-datafield for that specific activity. The map touch funcitonality ONLY works when general touch use is enabled, no matter the specific activity settings

• Widgets are not touch interactive

Unlike with other touch devices, trying to use touch to scroll through graphs on widgets does not work.

System:

ConnectIQ:

Widgets:

Activities:

• *sigh*

Had contacted garmin support on the map bug (nopt being able to select a location) and finally after some back and forth mailing the response is: "It seems you have a defective device and we suggest to replace it".

Which will take 5-15 working days and they only send the replacement after getting my device.

As I am 99.99% sure it's simply a firmware/software bug I'm not going to do that (and let them know that as well) but disappointing to get that in the end...

• No, reverse. Readyness is available on my phone, and on the connect.garmin.com-site in the browser. But it does not work on the watch, when I look at the glance.

• Did someone try to add shifter like sram gx asx? 
    I can't set the upper tooth range to more than 45. On EDGE it is not an issue

• that seems to be the knee jerk response of support that i encountered with my 945LTE. when i reported the backlight issue and battery drain issue on my 945LTE they wanted me to swap my device even though i know multiple other owners experienced the same thing. i refused to do it because i had already swapped once to get a unit with decent enough buttons.

they did, however, offer to send me a new watch and put a hold on my credit card for 2 weeks (?) so i could not be without a watch while the exchange occurred. they should be able to do that for you if you push them on it.

• HR zone type workouts don’t align results to actual HR zones as set up on the watch. Even when using a custom HR workout, the resulting HR zones in the activity (when run is complete) bears no relationship with the defined HR zones

Link:

forums.garmin.com/.../bug-in-heart-rate-zones

• Does anyone have the same problem as me - the watch after more than 3 days still does not display readiness for training?

• Is the field missing from glances or is it blank?

• THerę is no data in the dream field. No data in the resting time field. Recent workload, sleep level history and stress is not enough data. I sleep with my watch, trains regularly 4 times a week. Separate widgets display everything, only training readiness alone does not work.

• This seems like exactly what I am seeing. Although I have only had the watch for three days/ two nights.

• Yup. I am waiting for tommorow. If it does not work, I will file a complaint.