This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 955 - Bugs and issues

I thought it might be nice, or usefull, to have a single topic with confirmed bugs and issues with the forerunner 955 watches. Having the solar myself and noticing at least 2 serious bugs, this is good to know for users and Garmin themselves. Perhaps it can be stickied?

People can comment or mention bugs in the comments, or message me directly, and if confirmed by others (or me) I will update the main post. Preferably with as much info as possible.

BUGS

Maps and navigation

• Navigate -> Use map: Impossible to select target location (FW 10.10)
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/296161/can-t-select-target-using-map-to-navigate

Trying to use the map to navigate to a target point doesn't work. Most of the times the crossharis needed to select a location aren't visible and long-pressing start (usually needed to select the location) doesn't do anything. There are also no other ways to select a location on the map. Sometimes they DO appear and selecting the location is possible, however actually starting the navigation reboots the watch.

*Edit*
    This seems to happen when the location you select results in multiple options (in my case for example ', , ') if I somehow am able to select a location with no alternative options it does not seem to crash. Crosshairs still appear only the first (few?) times after a reboot.

• Starting a course directly from the "Navigation" app redirects you to the 'Navigation selection screen' (which  is then a bit hard to get out of)
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/298420/cant-start-a-course-on-my-fr-955/1443050#1443050

When going to the Navigation activity and select a course to follow it seems to load the course but then redirects you to the same selection screen where you get the option to again select a course, point of interest, etc. Pressing back once stays in the navigation screen, you need to press back a few times quickly to exit. When then starting another activity the course selected above IS loaded. Other ways such as selecting a saved location DO work and selecting a course for navigation directly from another activity also works.

• Some custom maps might crash watch?

Hard to verify

• Incorrect/garbled rendering of custom maps
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/301385/rendering-of-custom-maps-broken/

3rd party OSM based maps seem to render incorrectly, while working on the fenix 7 and FR945 watches.

• Autozoom - Map toggles between extremely zoomed out view and normal zoom level (when showing turns/changing view?) during navigation

While using navigation and with map autozoom set to enabled, the map screen switches between a way zoomed out state making it impossible to see context regarding streets, etc and normal view when you switch screens or when an instruction is shown. Again switching screens toggles it back, this actually could be reproduced constently (both during cycling as walking activities). When autozoom is disabled and setting a specific zoom level manually this doesn't happen.

• Map Zoom level reverts back to default (FW 10.10)

When zooming in or out of the map the zoom level is not retained, it however reverts back to the default zoom level when going back to the map/different screen. Scrolling/pannign around IS saved/stored.

Apparently this is by design, and can be fixed by turning of auto-zoom for maps:
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/296512/forerunner-955---bugs-and-issues/1433961#1433961

Touch:

• Swipe from left to right on the map (in order to pan) triggers the menu to open

When making the swip motion from left to right on the map to pan it will open the menu (and exiting can reset zoom on map if autozoom is set). A workaround is to either swipe slowly, or don't remove your finger from the screen right away but let it rest for just a bit longer before releasing the touch screen (might take some getting used to). Not limited to maps, also in other screens.

Fixed in 11.12

• Touch with a map screen in an activity only works when "General Touch" is enabled

When touch is enabled for an activity but not for general use, touch can not be used on the map-datafield for that specific activity. The map touch funcitonality ONLY works when general touch use is enabled, no matter the specific activity settings

• Widgets are not touch interactive

Unlike with other touch devices, trying to use touch to scroll through graphs on widgets does not work.

System:

ConnectIQ:

Widgets:

Activities:

• Configuring data screens from GCM sometimes sets a different data field to what you have chosen.

Edit: It seems to be due to GCM missing some available data fields.

e.g. For Running or Trail Running, in GCM the Graphical Data field options are:

Cadence, Heart Rate, Training Effect, Compass, Total Ascent/Descent

On the watch you have all of the above plus running dynamics.

• wow! if this is correct, that would be awesome. that's my only reason to use touch during a run/hike

• Battery drain super high! 

• something is constantly causing my FR955 to crash. I thought it is my old custom (about 30MB) map which was fine on Epix gen1,FR945, etrex and edge 530. I removed it and had to hard reset. It was fine till i install custom WF - crashes againg. Had to hard reset. Now i am after fourth hard reset and got everything stock. Working for now (but original FR watchfaces are garbage).

Not impresed for now... 

• man:sorry to hear this.

here's a couple WF that work for me: Glance Pro (presumably Glance too which is the free version), Coros Apex Like Plus, Clean HR, Quatro, Minimal Vertical 2 all work fine for me and no crashes. if these don't work and then i think you need to consult Garmin on getting a swapped watch (which may be hard right now with supplies :( )

• From this list, I tested the Glance Pro. It worked for a while and the same. I do not know what's going on. I've never had so many problems with Garmin on the first day before. Even on fenix 2.

• i don't know what to say. I'm usually on the bleeding edge in recent years and adopted new devices during the first few weeks (935, 945LTE, and 955), and there is usually a bunch of problems, but not show stopping crashes like you suggest. (see my other post on GPS issues -- that to me is a showstopper if it continues).

my only suggestion would be to do a full "wipe the watch clean" to factory settings and start from scratch. it's hard to think its hardware related, but who knows?

i assume you are on 10.10? i know there is another thread where some people haven't received the prompt to update to 10.10 (which i got immediately when i started using my watch 3 days ago).

• I've been buying the newest models as well (735xt, 935, 945 and now 955) and I must say the 955 is the most buggy one I've encountered. It's really starting to annoy me...

THe map issues, connectiq field issues (I even had a fit entry recorded from I field I didn't even have added anymore), issues changing hr zones in the mobile app (which is the only way even possible), etc.

I'm pretty tech savvy and now there are bound to be some bugs, but this really feels like an unfinished product pushed out to meet some release date.

• Just wondering if anyone has a working map? Pretty sure I'm going to return this as it's core functionality for me and a 3 month update cadence won't work for me...

• I have already done it four times. Maybe i can delete all content after connecting to pc via usb? 

It been half a day/night without crashes after last reset. I installed glance pro once again and waiting for crash. I would install my favorite maps but dont want to setup everything from scratch five time.

i have a lot of garmins (FR305/Fenix 1/Fenix2/FR230/FR945/EpixGen1,FR245, F5x/F6). There almost always were some bugs but they were STABLE. FR955 firmware looks like in late beta :/ 

I want to add bug: Health stats widget is missing. It is in the pdf manual. 

Also Back Button doesent back to WatchFace screen when in activity.