Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Thank you man, once again thank you and congratulation for this Amazing appMuscle

• Glad you like the DF! (Also, thanks for the Lap+ shout-out. I use it every day myself, haha.)

3s pace is the moving average of instant pace (as reported by the watch), over the last 3 seconds. Note that while the watch reports pace rounded to the nearest 5 seconds (due to inaccuracy of speed from GPS), Run Power doesn't do any rounding. However, Run Power is still receiving instant speed from the watch (and not calculating it from raw data), so the instant pace that Run Power uses for calculations may still be subject to any smoothing algorithms/filters that Garmin decides to use on pace data, whether it comes from the accel, GPS or Stryd.

Lap pace is lap distance divided by lap time. It is *not* the average of instant speed over the entire lap. The two approaches result in different numbers -- the former seems more intuitive and is in line with the lap pace that Garmin reports. However, for the first 10 seconds of the lap, Run Power reports instant speed for the lap speed, because the average isn't useful that early. (This is similar to what the Garmin native Run app does.)

Since you're getting both distance and speed from Stryd, I can't really explain the discrepancy, unless it's something on the Stryd side.

Hope that helps!

• Hi,

After recent updates on forerunner 945 (3.30 and now 3.90) run power is not working well with stryd running power meter. Stryd connected and works good, but run power always showing any busy or “searching”. Can you please fix it, it’s very convenient data field.

• Forerunner 645 music (software version 6.50) doesn't seem to work with run power. ID entered as mentioned in getting started and Stryd zones works perfectly. Nevertheless, run power still searches for coupled for Pod.

• Hello,

Just wondering if you can help with STRYD setup on my wife's Vivoactive 3 Music (I've been using STRYD for 3 years on Garmin 735XT then 935 so quite used to setting it up).

I have 1 field screens :

SCREEN 1 is RUNPOWER with ANT ID of the Stryd entered in the app and 6A with both running power and running power lap average on that screen.

SCREEN 2 is STRYD ZONES.

STRYD ZONES indicated power no problem there, it also saves everything in the fit file so we are good there.

But the RUNPOWER screen stayd in "search PWR" mode... it never seems to find the ANT ID of the Stryd.

I understand on my 935 I use Foodpod Stryd for STRYD ZONES and Powermeter Stryd for the RUNPOWER app since it is a multisport watch and on Vivoactive 3 Music everything is supposed to come from the footpod connection since it is not a multisport watch... but how do I get it to transfer information on RUNPOWER app/sreen ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help.

• Is there any way to set up zones as % of FTP? I'd like these zones to match up with my Stryd ones, and am trying to avoid changing every zone when my FTP changes.

• Sorry, FTP isn't available to Connect IQ apps.

• I meant percentage of FPT that is entered in the run power settings.

• Right, sorry!

I'm not actively developing Run Power at the moment, but your feature request has been noted.

One problem is that for a lot of the watches, Run Power has absolutely maxed out the available memory for those devices. Configuration actually takes up a significant amount of the memory for data fields (memory is used up even by things as mundane as text labels that are displayed in Garmin Connect / Connect IQ app).

At one point I was considering moving the configuration out of Garmin Connect and into a dedicated web app to save a lot of memory, but a few considerations made me shelve that idea:

- Not all users want config in a separate app

- Currently, the Connect IQ app won't allow special characters in the config, which is important for this kind of thing. Another concern is a length restriction on strings which varies across the different platforms for configuring watches (Connect IQ, Garmin Connect and Garmin Express.). Even if these were all resolved, the overall user experience would not be great if users have to copy-and-paste settings from one place to another.

There's a lot of things I would've have liked to do with Run Power (and data field apps in general), but there are a lot of restrictions and limitations in the Garmin ecosystem.

• Hey everyone! I've seen that several people are having issues with connectivity between Run Power and their Stryd lately.

I'd like to conduct an informal poll in the following few posts to see what the current situation is. Please upvote the appropriate post to indicate your current Run Power experience.