Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• So...I have some bad news. A few Run Power users have contacted me complaining that their runs no longer show up in Stryd PowerCenter. My worst fears were confirmed when I found the following 2 Stryd support articles:

https://support.stryd.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023029693-Why-is-my-data-not-flowing-into-PowerCenter-when-I-use-a-3rd-party-Connect-IQ-app-

"Only data recorded by one of the Stryd apps will be accepted. A workaround is to have the Stryd power data field active on one of your run data screens"

https://support.stryd.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000952774-My-Garmin-data-is-not-showing-up-in-Stryd-PowerCenter

"Stryd PowerCenter only accept run data that has power metrics coming from your Stryd."

So Stryd has taken the somewhat extreme measure of validating that the power data actually came from a Stryd app (which is impossible to fake from a Garmin watch, which doesn't have completely control over the FIT writing process), and will actually reject your run if Stryd power data is missing.

So now every user of Stryd has to have one of the Stryd data fields installed, using up a precious Connect IQ slot.

To me, this makes Run Power a lot less useful, since now everyone who uses Run Power has to use both of their CIQ slots if they want recording. It also defeats the purpose of the (unreleased) Run Power+ app, which was to bring features such as recording to devices with less memory like 645 and 935. As a matter of fact, I could save lots of memory by just dropping recording (may as well), which would open the door to putting different features in. But I don't see the point if the whole app is not as useful anymore.

I'm considering just dropping development of Run Power, and not finishing/releasing Run Power+. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about this. If you think Stryd did the wrong thing, feel free to contact them, too. I understand why they did it tho. Maybe their apps have a way to validate that they're talk to Stryd and not some other power meter, so that's why they've put this restriction in place, so they can avoid supporting other ppl's apps and running power meters. 

•   

Did you finally test the formula for a full run? Did it work?

thanks

• IMHO, Run Power's value is WAAAAAY more than the ability to record power to FIT files independent of the Stryd Power data field. in facebook groups i'm in, easily the most common use-cases for run power are to display multiple power fields on a single display and power alerts for structured workouts. so i don't think losing the ability to record power to FIT files renders run power useless. i wouldn't be surprised if you'd gain more users by dropping that feature and adding new ones. 

i really hope you don't stop development. run power is indispensable in my training. 

• Thanks for the feedback!

I got some feedback from Stryd, and they stated that the reason for this change is block to junk data from random 3rd-party apps. Which I totally get. They also pointed out that they need to those other Stryd metrics that do a lot of useful calculations. And one problem is that if a data field supports all those metrics, then they have no memory to do anything else that's useful or different than the official Stryd apps.

Having said that, for me it does change the value of "Run Power+", since one of its reasons to be was to bring recording to devices with less memory. As I mentioned in another comment, I am still waiting on Garmin to normalize its app settings across all platforms before I think about continuing work on that.

I'm also curious whether anyone wants to keep power recording, given this development. I guess some people could be using Run Power with RunScribe, or even a bike power meter, but I assume most are using Stryd.

It would be a lot easier to release a "Run Power-" without recording, but with some other added features, although I'd need a better name than that :D.

easily the most common use-cases for run power are to display multiple power fields on a single display and power alerts for structured workouts

But to be fair, other data fields can do that stuff too. I always thought what made Run Power different was having all the features, especially on lower end devices. Then again, most devices don't support recording in Run Power anyway.

• I'll also reiterate that in order to see your Run Power runs in Stryd PowerCenter, you now also have to have an official Stryd app installed, so it's two slots just for your Stryd. It's not just a matter of PowerCenter not showing power from 3rd-party apps, they won't show runs from 3rd-party apps unless a Stryd app recorded power. They did mention to me they have a whitelist for approved 3rd-party apps, although I'm not sure whether this means the 3rd-party app can record just power (as Run Power does today) or whether the 3rd-party app has to record all the Stryd metrics, which is not practical for most Garmins, due to memory limitations.

• Yes, it was great!

- it was exactly what I needed Slight smile

• But to be fair, other data fields can do that stuff too. I always thought what made Run Power different was having all the features, especially on lower end devices.

even without the ability to record power, i still think run power is differentiated from the other data fields. it has more features (especially for lower end devices), is more flexible/customizable, and is completely free compared to similar data fields. while others might have similar features, the overall packaging of run power is better, IMHO. 

and at least for me, it does provide % FTP metrics which i haven't seen in any other data fields. :) 

• Yes, but if you want to use Run Power with Stryd PowerCenter, now you have to also use the official Stryd field, which means you have no free slots.

• 9.0 Fix intermittent issue where Run Power is unable to reconnect to the power sensor (e.g. Stryd) (via ANT+ ID)

9.1 Limit the previous fix to T4 and T5 devices, due to memory constraints.