Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Just to keep everyone updated on the status of Run Power+ (the version of Run Power that will move settings to an external web app so mid-range watches can have more features)

• I'm not actively working on it, although it's still in the back of my mind and I still plan on releasing it when it's ready
    • Few things on Garmin's side I am waiting to see resolved:
      • Garmin Express only supports a max length of 256 characters for string settings, whereas the mobile apps support much longer strings (at least 1024 chars). Run Power+ would need more than 256 characters in some cases; if this doesn't get fixed, there would only be two options, neither of which I like:
        • Tell ppl not to use Garmin Express
        • Split the settings into multiple lines, which would be an issue for app code size and usability
      • The new Connect IQ app (and Garmin Express) do not display help links, which means that it would be tough to direct users to an external website when they are setting up the app.

Those issues have been reported, and I'd like to see them resolved (at least the length thing) before I continue.

• should I replace userweight_raw with a number in kg ? e.g. 81.5
    Or does it know it somehow...

• userweight is your weight from your watch profile, in kg or lbs according to your unit settings. userweight_raw is your weight in grams and (userweight_raw / 1000) is your weight in kg.

I've corrected the RE formula above.

https://ciq-appbuilder.blogspot.com/p/variables.html

• Update 8.9

Add support for 245, 245 Music, 945 and MARQ.

To answer the question I'm sure is on everyone's minds:

• 245 is T2 (equivalent to 645 and VA3)
    • 245 Music is T4 (equivalent to 645 Music)
    • 945 and MARQ are T5 (equivalent to Fenix 5+)
  • dear flowstate,

when i first started using a stryd, the very first question i googled and asked on facebook was "how do i display multiple power fields at once?" back then run power wasn't available, and i wasn't happy with any of the CIQ data fields available. 

super thankful to you for developing run power. it's been a welcome addition to the running power community. i recommend it all the time now. as one way to say thanks, i wrote a tutorial on how to install/use run power. 

https://www.powerpacing.run/display-multiple/

i hope it's useful to others just getting started with run power (let me know if you have any feedback/edits to improve the article). and if you ever provide a way to donate, i'll thank you that way too. ;) 

ps: i'm not sure how i feel about this new "forum" software. Grimacing

• any news on logging LSS, VO, Form Power so we can get rid of Stryd's IQ data field ?

I now get two Power graphs in Garmin Connect

What is this in Custom Field?: Record Power so sites like Training Peaks, Stryd and Smashrun recognize it [AppBuilder5] [CIQ2] 
    record(power, 7, "Power") 

• I reached out to Stryd at the beginning of the year on reading other metrics and they never got back to me. Guess they are not interested. TBH, Run Power seems extremely niche to me, even for a Garmin app, so I don’t blame them.

You can always disable power recording in Run Power. 

The formula you mentioned records power in a format that other sites will recognize as power: 7 is the FIT native number which corresponds to current power, which most sites should be looking at, and "Power" is the internal field label which certain sites are looking for. That formula is meant for users of Appbuilder and is not necessary for Run Power users. If you enable recording, Run Power already records power in exactly the same way. 

• Did you finally test the formula for a full run? Did it work?

thanks

• Due to the fact that this forum does not notify you when someone replies to your, I recommend using @-mentions as above. (Type "@" followed by the name of the user, then click on the username in the popup that appears.) Otherwise your replies to older comments could be missed completely (as soon as someone else posts a reply, it will be almost impossible to find them.)

•  So, based on the fact that Stryd is blocking runs that have power recorded from 3rd party apps (or lacking power from the official Stryd apps), it seems to me that they're not interested in working with 3rd party app developers at all.

See my announcement below