App : Badminton Score Tracker

Hello! I am the creator of the application "Badminton Score Tracker".

Here is the link https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/51606451-57e2-4f99-9420-2ba5a80b5df6.

Please use this thread to report bug, for feature request of any other question.

• I think that the default behavior of a long press on the back button is to go back to the main screen (at least it's what it does on my Fenix 3). I read that in other watches, this behavior can be configured (hot keys). There is nothing in my app that catches this event.

The thing is that going back to the main screen while running a native app (developed by Garmin) is not a problem because the app (and its activity) can be resumed afterward properly. Unfortunately, the Garmin Connect SDK does not offer this possibility for non-native apps (see here 
    https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/f/discussion/258752/fit-file-saved-over-multiple-app-exits). It's possible to restore the state of the app, but the activity is lost (I have already done that here 

I could try to catch the "long back press" event to prevent the default behavior, but I'm not sure that it can be done reliably on all watches.

It's just another limitation of Connect IQ...
  • Yes, I have a pending development branch that does this, but I'd like to be sure to understand how this feature works before releasing a new version of the app (and I have other things to include in the next version anyway). They added the badminton sport type as a "subsport", but there is nothing new for the "main sport". I still don't understand how they handle their Fit activities.
  • Yes going back to the main screen is what I like, checking data on the watch face or even widgets during an activity. 

I tried on my F6, there the IQ app stays active and can be resumed. 

Only on the F7 it's ended when going to the watchface. 

• Thanks for the report. It's a general issue then. I will not implement the workaround.

By the way, I just bought a Fenix 7. The ecosystem is full of bugs. I have problems with the Wi-Fi (it seems the watch does not support long passwords with spaces or accent), with Garmin Express (it does not see my watch every time) and with the maps on the watch (I'm unable to manage them properly using Garmin Express). Moreover, I'm unable to transfer my saved locations from my Fenix 3 because it seems BaseCamp does not support the Fenix 7. What a mess!

• I completely gave up on Garmin Express because the bug that messes up my settings (widget order and folders) keeps reappearing. And it resyncs old activities I did not deleted from the watch. I just get my map updates by Wifi when charging the watch.

At least it seems they fixed the issue that IQ widgets without location permission resulted in a GNSS signal loss when used during an activity (took them only 16 months).

I think there is also some issue with the number of saved places on the watch that's being worked on currently (but i'm not using that feature).

• Thanks so much for adding support for the 265. I tested it the other day and whilst it works great, I found that at least a couple times I inadvertently touched the screen whilst playing, therefore adding score without realising.

Is there any way to disable touch screen for the app? 

• Hi there, thanks for the app. Just recently picked up the Venu Sq 2. Tried to use this app but was presented with the orange exclamation mark after I entered my match type/sets/player etc. Please can this be looked into as I’m keen to use this app. Thanks 

• Hi there, just picked up the Venu Sq 2. I was presented with the orange exclamation mark upon setting game type/player type etc. Please can this be looked into as I’m keen on using this app. Thanks 

• Hi,

According to the error logs I have on my side, it seems your watch is not up-to-date. Could you please update it to the latest version? This should address the issue.

For more information, you can read the following:

The Venu Sq 2 supports Connect IQ SDK version 4.2.0 (as specified here developer.garmin.com/.../) and, therefore, supports the new Badminton activity type (see here developer.garmin.com/.../Activity.html), used by my app. However, according to the logs, yours is still running Connect IQ v4.0.0.

It's not possible to do feature detection properly, so my application relies on the ConnectIQ version string to use (or not) the new Badminton activity type. However, the API provided by Garmin seems to return the version supported by the device instead of the actual version installed on the device. So, on your watch, the Badminton activity type is selected, but it's not actually available.