This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mushy/sticky buttons

Trying to get a feel from others if the buttons on their 945 are as bad as mine are. The UP/DOWN buttons in particular seem to get stuck and, while they work, they don't fully actuate with the normal 'click'.
  • Mine are mushy too, I feel they have gotten worse. I have to push hard and always have to visually confirm whatever I was trying to do is actually happening. Very disappointing.

For reference: serial number 5Z6000xxx

• Well, now my replacement watch is starting to "smush" when I press the up/down buttons. I'm holding out hoping that it's not another defective watch, but time will tell. Definitely not as nice/tactile as my 935 buttons regardless.

Former Member is there any update? I'm hoping I don't need to send in a second 945 device to just receive another potentially defective model. Unacceptable (and moreso, disappointing) for a $600 device. I literally love everything else about the 945. I'm only having an issue with the buttons, however, since that's the only way I can actually interact with the device, it's troubling. 

• Former Member 

My first 945 serial is in the 5Z6002 series, second is in the 5Z6018 (potentially starting to show the same issue)

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to adamdehaven

sorry to hear about the second watch

I can not fathom some users mindset Rolling eyes

As for the buttons? That to me is a matter of perception and has nothing to do with functionality. Yes the build quality of the 935/945 is less than that of the Fenix but what do you expect? I expect a device that works but I also do not have expectations that are unrealistic. You pay a lot less for it...........
  • A $600 watch should have buttons that respond in a way in which the user can tell that the press was registered, whatever that means. In this particular case, if I'm running and press the lap key, I shouldn't have to lose stride or visually double-check the watch for something so simple. I think the same expectation applies regardless of price or model. 

• For another reference, I purchased my 945 about 8 days ago at REI but I suspect based on the serial number and the fact that it had 2.10 firmware it that it was sitting there for a month.  All buttons worked great out of the box EXCEPT the up button.  The up button felt like the others for the first click or two and then got sticky.  After waiting a bit (minute maybe?) I could click it again and it work work again for one or two presses before getting sticky.

I was about to try to get it exchanged, but reading the thread below and the support page on Garmin's website I decided to try to clean it and see if that worked.  While wearing it in the shower, I let it get wet and then aggressively pushed the up button about 10 times while under spray of the shower head.  Since then, it was worked just like the others - what I would consider perfectly responsive and clicky.

Pretty sloppy quality control on Garmin's part, in my opinion, to let these units out like this, but for me at least I was able to make it work without having to go through the hassle of replacing my 945 and go through all of the setup and customization again.

Hopefully this helps someone else in this group.

For reference: serial number 5W900xxxx

• I'll be interested to hear if this actually resolved the issue (permanently). Post back in a week and let us know...?

• Just returned also this unit to Garmin , waiting for replaced unit, i'll let you know...

• Just exchanged original unit with retailer for this issue. Original unit was as follows in the end:

Power/Light: Good

Up: Sticky/Sometimes Stuck/Inconsistent

Down: Sticky/Sometimes Stuck/Inconsistent

Start/Stop: Okay (Sometimes stuck initially, but fine after I get it going)

Back: Stuck

New Unit had a couple buttons that were a little stuck out of the box, but they now seem okay. After one hour of usage here's the status:

Power/Light: Good

Up: Good

Down: Good

Start/Stop: Good

Back: Good

Fully expect things to go downhill from here , but at least for now I have a "normal" 945. I'll update this thread as I start to use.

• My units start to have problem after about 2 days...