This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mushy/sticky buttons

Trying to get a feel from others if the buttons on their 945 are as bad as mine are. The UP/DOWN buttons in particular seem to get stuck and, while they work, they don't fully actuate with the normal 'click'.
  • Trying to get a feel from others if the buttons on their 945 are as bad as mine are. The UP/DOWN buttons in particular seem to get stuck and, while they work, they don't fully actuate with the normal 'click'.

935 syndrome!
  • are you comparing it to another watch? not sure my 935 ever "clicked"

Yes, I am. The 935 sitting next to me is perfect in this regard. All the buttons immediately pop back out and have a very tactile click.
  • Well, my 935 also never really clicked... Maybe only really shortly in the beginning, but never since. Was kinda hoping this was fixed, although it's more a 'feeling issue' as they keep on functioning fine. Ah well.
  • Well, my 935 also never really clicked... Maybe only really shortly in the beginning, but never since. Was kinda hoping this was fixed, although it's more a 'feeling issue' as they keep on functioning fine. Ah well.

So, I also owned a Fenix 5 and another 935 (the first 935 was returned for a different issue). It wasn't until the second 935 that all the buttons worked flawlessly. So I know that Garmin has been struggling with this for years -- but I also know what a properly operating unit is supposed to be.

My issue is that this 945 has the worst performing buttons out of all the Garmin watches I've owned. So bad that I'm considering returning it for another but I'm trying to gauge if this first batch all suffer the same problem. Like I mentioned the UP/DOWN buttons are really bad, but the LIGHT button is perfect. The other two are somewhere in between.
  • I know exactly what you're talking about. I am actually returning mine for a new one because of this as soon as the retailer gets another shipment.
  • I returned a 935 for this reason. My buttons were 'soft' and I didnt really care until one stopped responding unless I properly pushed hard on it. A friend's 935 was totally different - a definite tactile click (although not audible). My current 935 is 80% ok. Most buttons are fine, but the up button is a little soft - and its a reasonably recent garmin refurb.
    Garmin quickly closed the other thread on this - lets hope its not a common issue and they can get it sorted. I was very close to jumping on board, but may hold off a few weeks now. On the plus side, the garmin customer service has always been excellent, and I expect they would swap out effected devices very quickly.

Yes! The 935 had numerous complaints/issues exactly like this! Just goes to show Garmin must have had tons of 935 hardware in reserve. Appears changes from 935 to 945 are 'primarily' software oriented.
  • Not noticed any button issues with my 935 in 2 years. The 945 obviously early days but no issues either so far.
  • I sure hope I am wrong, but I am seeing an parallel with the Vivoactive 3 roll-out in November 2017. I had a VA HR but wanted the VA 3. Amazon & Garmin was stating availability 3 to 4 weeks out -- THE SAME as the case with the 945 today. But, it was available, earlier, from the likes of HRM USA. After talking with them I bought one. Died completely (dead as a doornail) after 15 days. HRM USA, to their credit (and my steadfast loyalty since), replaced it immediately. 51 days later the barometric altimeter died. Garmin said: 'Yep. We know. You are the 10th case'. Because it was over Christmas I was just within 4-days of the HRM USA return window. They 'replaced it' again -- BUT I said give me a Fitbit Ionic. That was a mistake. But, for my penance I wore it for exactly 3-months. Then bought a F5 from .... Then upgraded, via the VIP program, to F5+. Got a VA 3 (against my druthers) for my 18-year old daughter last October. That seems fine. Appears that first 'batch' of VA 3s had issues. That Amazon and Garmin stayed away from that batch makes me -- NOW -- SMILE. So .... SMILE.