Repeat crashing / rebooting after 16.22 update

Hello, after the recent update to 16.22 my tactix 7 pro ballistics seems to randomly reboot whenever it feels like it. The few times I've noticed it, it also appears to be updating the maps before / after the occurrence. Is this a known issue with a solution or is a rollback required?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Update May 14, 2024:  Our engineers are still investigating reports of the crashing, freezing and rebooting since the 16.22 update. If you are experiencing this concern, and have not already, please feel free to reach out to me directly via Private Message, or contact Garmin Product Support. We would like to collect specifics from what you are experiencing, to hopefully expedite a solution. 

• Hi 

Not sure how to send you a DM, when I click on your name I get a permission denied.

I have a Fenix 7x SS that I updated to 16.22. after the update the watch restarted into a infinite boot loop, starting up, loading maps, crashing, starting up, etc. I resolved this by doing the multi button reset sequence and going back to factory settings.

Since then I have had several freezes while doing a cycling activity. When I pause the activity after a while the watch becomes frozen unseen, not responding to any buttons anymore. The only solution is to hold the top left button for 10 seconds until it turns off and restart the watch manually. I can continue the activity after the Trevor fortunately.

I am using a default watch face, have 0 extra apps installed from connect IQ, have turned off the touchscreen and updated from 15.77.

I can't believe you don't just rerelease the previous super stable software version for my Fenix. All good and well to have new features but reliability is waaaayy more important for a €900 watch!

• I can't believe you don't just rerelease the previous super stable software version for my Fenix.

Completely agree... It's a big mistake to introduce new firmware with these important bugs. But it's way worst to not fix it immediately! If it is not easy to fix, then let the people downgrade to the lastest stable software

• I figured out most of my crashes seems to be related to the map data screen in activities. At the moment I seem to have 100% crashing when going to the map screen, even after updating maps through Garmin Express.

Have sent more detail and memory dumps from the watch to Laurie in DM.

• I had an unexpected crash today during a warm-up on treadmill. One moment I was tracking my run. Then next time I look at the watch I see it showing the watch face and there is no trace of the activity.

This was the second one I experienced with v16. 22. I've never had crashes before. Considering how buggy my Fenix 7X has become recently, Garmin seems to be intent to make me never want to buy another Garmin. 

• Yesterday i tried following a course for the first time during running, about after 30-40 minutes i stopped the activity and when i wanted to continue the Fenix 7x pro just restarted. Luckily it comes up the same status as before restart, so resume/stop/ activity menu, i could continue my training.

• In this case the training effect starts from zero and incorrectly calculates the score in the training status. You can check out a similar run and notice the discrepancy. I set up a page where I view the training effect in real time and when a Garmin device restarts, it goes back to zero aerobic and zero anaerobic (even if it restarts from the same km)

• I have a Fenix 7x solar and am experiencing crashing. The watch keeps cycling thru the initial startup and connection to the app but won't get past the basic setup before re-booting.

• Update May 17, 2024: 

Garmin engineers believe they have identified the cause of the crashing, rebooting and freezing some have experienced since the 16.22 SW update. They will be releasing a fix with the next Public Software update, available as early as early June. 

This will also be released with an early BETA software update. So if you would like to, you can enroll in BETA, and you will have earlier access to this fix.

*Reminder Tactix 7 series is not able to use BETA software. So for those with a Tactix 7 solar model, a work around for this concern will still be to remove the Solar graph from the watch face. 

• How do I remove the solar graph from a non standard watch face on my Tactix 7?  I don't see any options for it?