Repeat crashing / rebooting after 16.22 update

Hello, after the recent update to 16.22 my tactix 7 pro ballistics seems to randomly reboot whenever it feels like it. The few times I've noticed it, it also appears to be updating the maps before / after the occurrence. Is this a known issue with a solution or is a rollback required?

Top Replies

All Replies

• dear Garmin, can we go back to previous stable sw version?

• Same issue here for over 3 weeks now. Sudden crashes on my runs!

• i've got the same issue, watch works for a full factory reset for about a day, then freezes on any sports activity. I can't even start the activity, I click on the button to open choose a sport and freeze, totally non responsive and have to hold the light button down till a hard reset.

This was Epix 2 after it upgraded to 16.22.

I spoke to support (I think i was one of the first people) who said they'd not heard the issue so they sent me a replacement. Yup, that updated itself to 16.22 and had the same issue. i didn't install anything extra on the watch.

Tried the beta version of 17.12 - same problem, after install and update it works for a day and bam - no longer a sports watch.

I figured I'd try support on Monday again, but if they can't fix, and a replacement will suffer the same problem, then I'm guessing it's refund time. I've used garmins since my old forerunner 305 - this is the first time I've seen a hard crash that make it useless - and there is no way to get the old working firmware again.

• I've got you, send me a pm with a exact model of your watch.

• Dear Garmin, are you any closer to sorting this issue, as it persists, and is really f-ing irritating. I am concerned that Garmin charges ridiculous amounts of money for their devices, and then goes and breaks them on people, with no recourse to roll back to the previous stable version, when the device actually worked. What are you doing to fix the issue you created, and what are you going to do to compensate people for breaking their devices?

• Hi, can't seem to send a pm (get access denied clicking on your name).

My model is epix (Gen 2), Sapphire, 47mm

Thanks for reaching out, you'll give me my watch back!

It's strange that Garmin has removed the older working firmware and won't supply it anymore.

I work with software development so I understand you don't want every old version around - but if you've got a bug that's affecting a lot of people, a roll back isn't hard.

• Me neither, but here you go, I assume that your watch is non pro

• Fantastic - I'm just installing the update (downdate?) now - I've switched off auto update, and I'll test the watch for a couple of days to make sure it doesn't crash again (should be a full re-install, but just in case it's got some leftover stuff hiding somewhere in there.

Seems like this might be my new way of updating the watch - keep the old firmware handy just in case and only update after a few weeks of testing.

Thanks a lot buddy! hopefully I can use my watch again - I really like it when it's working :-) 

• Yeah, I was happy too when I'm on 15.77, it only have some minor bugs compared to 16.22, and feels like a real stable firmware. Unfortunately I've updated to 16.22 and I have Tactix 7 so there's no way to downgrade for me. Now I'm hoping for a fix, release of Fenix 8 or trade my Tactix and get 7X pro.

happy to help, I know this frustration.

• Out of interest, are you guys listening to Spotify, MP3s, have complex multi-page activities, long routes you're navigating, or custom metrics that you're using when it crashes?

Maybe theres a commonality like a custom data field that you guys are all running which isn't playing with the new CIQ runtime. Maybe a set of actions that you can repeat which would have it crash out? Perhaps you've filled the device with maps and only have a few KB left - not enough for the memory page file etc?

I'm running 6 pages of metrics (each with 8 data fields), Spotify and sometimes routes of marathon length on some of my runs and whilst the watch is slow given all it's running, I can't get 16.22 to crash. It's still able to recalculate new routes on a long runs whilst listening to music, resize the map, search the POI database etc.

Very keen to hear it you guys can zero in on what's causing this on your devices.