Repeat crashing / rebooting after 16.22 update

Hello, after the recent update to 16.22 my tactix 7 pro ballistics seems to randomly reboot whenever it feels like it. The few times I've noticed it, it also appears to be updating the maps before / after the occurrence. Is this a known issue with a solution or is a rollback required?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Similar issue here, but strangely it happens only in my living room.

No crashes in office, the gym, my basement, the grocery store, any spot outdoors,  but with a hundred percent certainty my fenix 7X Solar crashes when I start an activity in my living room - or even when I enter my living room with a running activity.

Since ´ve got my spinning bike in there, it`s pretty annoying.

And, btw: I don`t have the solar intensity data on my watchface...

• Try deleting or deactivating all sensors associated with your Fenix and then restart the watch. Try starting a workout in your living room again.

Your experience reminds me of the sensor issues with the Garmin Edge series. However, at the edge only the connection to the sensors is restarted

• Hi Laurie.

Not sure this topic is still open, but I just found this thread.

I have a similar yet different problem with my Fenix 7X Solar. Everything is fine with that watch until I start an activity in my living room or until I enter that room with a running acticity. The watch crashes almost instantly, and I have to do a hard reset with the power button to wake it up again - plus I have to leave that room.

Strangely enough, this never happened outdoors, never in my gym, in the office, grocery store or any other location. I even turned off all my routers to make sure that`s not an interference with my WIFI.

That issue started on my first watch after three days when I updated to 16.22, I had the watch exchanged through my dealer, and it happened again with the new watch after updating to 16.22, and it persists even though I now installed V17.23 as a Beta tester.

Oh, btw: I don`t have that solar intensity graph on may watch face...and never had.

• Hey Nick. Thanks for your advice. However, I have no sensors of any sort attached to the watch…

• Thank you for trying this, and for all of your prompt responses. I am passing along these experiences to our engineers. 

Update April 25, 2024: 

With further testing, it appears removing the solar from the watch face is only resolving the concern for solar Tactix 7 models. So if you are using a Solar edition of Tactix 7, please proceed with trying another watch face that does not include solar. For other watch models, our engineering team are continuing to investigate this concern. 

• That explanation does not make sense. Epix does not have solar yet some Epix users have same problems. Something else is obviously the cause of this problem. Much more effort should be put into solving these issues.

• Yes but, the software is the same, and something could run in the background even for non-solar devices .... developers are imaginative people Robot

• Hi Laurie,

Same issues here with a device crashing mid-activity… Recently, I noticed that the suggested training widget is extremely unstable and can cause the watch to freezes for a few seconds. Maybe the issue is not within the solar widget, but in suggested training.

I am on beta 17.12 by the way. So I am not 100 percent sure that this also applies to 16.22.

hoping for a solution soon!

best regards,

• My Fenix 7S Sapphire Solar has frozen twice during a running activity over the past few months. I can dig up the exact activities if that might help. I think it was enough time between it happening that it might have been on two different firmware versions, not sure.

Both times it froze it was after I paused the run activity to wait for a traffic light. Both times I thought I had started again and only a few blocks later realized the timer wasn't counting and the screen was totally frozen. Only a forced reboot (hold the light button till it shuts down) could un-freeze it.

Both times it happened it was at locations <100m from each other, so I sort of assumed maybe it had something to do with GPS or perhaps GPS auto-select mode. Could also just be a coincidence.

There wasn't anything else special about these two runs. One was using the suggested training and the other was not. Neither was using a planned route, and I wasn't using the map screen on either (or changing screens much at all, for that matter).