Fenix 6 pro green light sensor and heart rate not working consistently

I have read all of the threads for when the green light and/or heart rate from the watch is not functioning... trying everything suggested:

• Restart the watch
  • Clean the back
  • Tighten the strap
  • Make sure software is up-to-date

I have done all of these!!

Occasionally when I restart the watch (several times in a row!) I can get the heart rate readings back, not always with the green light though (more often it does not turn on? Not sure if this is problematic).
It then might last a few hours, before dropping out again.

It also seems that even when the heart rate monitor is "functioning" the stress and body battery readings are completely thrown off. 

I have invested a lot in garmin over the years, but I am very disappointed with this current lack of performance.

Please help, before I am forced to start exploring the world beyond Garmin! 

Top Replies

All Replies

• Thank you for this, I'm waiting for your message.

• I have a similar issue with the light not on and the heart rate not working.  Seemed to be an issue that started 11 days ago from looking at my heart rate data chart.  i am also having trouble in general keeping it synced to my iphone.  It is dropping out frequently.

• I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a heart rate sensor failure. For this, I would recommend trying the following troubleshooting step:

• Ensure the HR sensor is enabled in the watch menu. Menu, Sensors and Accessories, Wrist HR. You can also try toggling this off, then on again. 
    • I would also recommend a hard reset. For this, hold the Light button until the watch shuts off, as opposed to selecting power off. Then power this on again. 
    • Check for the sensor software versions in the watch menu: Menu, System, About, Scroll down. Look for the Sensor Hub, WHR, and BMX versions. If any of these show as 0.00 the sw needs to be reinstalled using Garmin Express.
    1. Download and launch Garmin Express http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
    2. Connect the device with the USB cable
    3. Click + to add a new device
    4. Once found sign into the Garmin connect account
    5. Register device if needed
    6. If software update is found, click install
    7. Select Tools and Content
    8. Select the Utilities tab
    9. Select Additional Updates
    10. If the sensor versions are available to install, do this
    11. Disconnect the device and power on to complete
    • If the sensor is still not responding, you can also try a factory reset with these steps: 

If you have tried the steps above, and are still not able to use the wrist HR, I would recommend contact Garmin Product Support, as the device may need to be replaced. 

• I have the same issue with my Forerunner 935. 

I bought it in 2020 and the green lights stopped working 2 months later. Tried everything (hard reset, Garmin Support, etc). When I was about to return it, it just started working again without explanation.

Now 4 years after, the green light is not working again. The last day it worked ok was 2024/02/28. During some activities, the watch appears to read a few heartbeats, but it doesnt work at all while on rest. 

2024/02 Wokring ok during an activity

2024/02 Working ok during activity

2024/03 Not wokring during an activity

2024/03 Not Working during activity

2024/02 Green light was on the whole time while using the watch (blue line HR on rest)

2024/03 Green light is off. It appears to work briefly during some activities.

• Now 4 years after, the green light is not working again.

In your place, I'd try resetting the watch to factory defaults. If it does not help, and if you do not want to buy a new watch, using a cheap HRM strap for a few bucks, would resolve the problem, at least during the activities.

• I have the same problem as well after updating to 26.00

• @Garmin: I have Garmin 6 Pro Saphire. Software 26.0 (c7a16d5) currently. I face similar issue: battery drain (going from 100% to 0% within several hours), watch working very slowly (taking several seconds to go from one screen to another), sensors not working. It all started after one of updates. I see software version 0.0.0 for BMX and WHR in System->About. Garmin Express is not providing any updates at any it's tab/settings.

What I tried:

- soft reset

- hard reset

- factory reset

- multiple resets,

- turning sensors and other options on/off

- beta program: forums.garmin.com/.../how-to-enroll-for-public-beta-program

What I am not able to do:

- software downgrade 

- force system reinstalation as stated for Fenix 7 (Menu->System->About-> 8 times click "Light"). I do not see such option within "development" menu in my Fenix 6 (this could solve issue) - is it possible to somehow reach it?

How can I make my software re-install in order to get the proper drivers for all hardware (not 0.0.0)? What I can do to make my watch running properly?

This watch is not cheap (and unfortunatelly already out of warranty), I was planning to buy other Garmin products to prepare full environment but in such situation I don't know if I can trust Garmin... help!

BR,

Szymon

• This is exactly what happened to my Fenix 6 Pro Solar!  battery drains in a day, BMX and WHR are at 0.00.  went through Garmin Support and tried everything you mentioned and still not working.  Support told me to send it in for a replacement for $180.  I've had the watch for almost 18 months so it's out of warranty.  The "replacement" only has a 90 day warranty and I'm afraid this same exact thing will happen to me again.   I like the watch but I don't know if I can throw down that much money for a watch for 1.5 year at best.  

Let me know if you find a way to resolve it.

• Oops I did it again;) Today my sensors stopped work. Again. Reasembling the watch helped. Obiously there is a loose ribbon/conector. I dont know which one (there are 2 ribbons) but i will verify it next time. Anyway - if your watches are not covered by warranty anymore - you can try my solution. Helped for me twice.

• sounds like your issue was physical? or were you getting 0.0.0 for BMX and WHR also?