Fenix 6 Series - 20.41 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

20.41 Change Log Notes:

• Updated the software update process to allow the user to defer the installation. This replaces the automatic install during the user's sleep window.
  • Improved altitude calibration.
  • Fixed intermittent issue where device would freeze when starting a round of golf.
  • Fixed issue that would cause device shutdown when editing HIIT data fields.
  • Fixed issue where the device would create empty golf scorecards.
  • Fixed issue where the activity timer could be enabled on the Map-App. (Pro models)

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• That's what I'm thinking. I'll try that tomorrow.

• Interesting idea and would explain much.

My history includes 2 X 3HR, 5X+ and 2 X 6X Pro Solar. I have always had altimeter/barometer set to auto for the past several years. No reason to change it.

However, after the flat spots and altitude jumps during my run yesterday, I decided to switch calibration from auto to at night so that the watch would not keep adjusting/correcting in between calibrations. Things seemed ok last night and when I woke, but my watch has now gained 15m in the last four hours as I sit at home on the ground floor.

The barometer is also dropping, which the watch shows, but my altitude should not be drifting ever upwards. It does seem like altitude/barometer auto switching is very broken.

• And according to my altimeter test results, after 19.20 altimeter behavior is disappointing...Of course, Garmin listens only to those who applaud him, and they changed the way the altimeter works because of fenix 7 and epix2, as an experiment ... 

I'd argue with that, there was a bug in Vivoactive 4 a while ago when your watch could hang up during activity and Garmin acted on that and eventually fixed, people certainly didn't applauded them back then.

Same with another case when they changed the way vibro alerts are triggered during activity, they didn't change it to the same behavior but did something in between because there were two crowds who liked the new pattern and a bigger crowd which loved how they worked before.

Another case with backlight which couldn't be turned off from shotcut menu, in fact they even made it better after feedback and added options. It took time, but eventually they fixed it.

I suspect that the flat parts indicate that the watch falsely switches to barometer mode (assuming sensor mode setting is on 'auto'). Maybe they changed something on the 'auto' sensor mode that is not working properly. Has anybody tried a run with sensor mode to 'altimeter'?

nice theory and sounds plausible to me. I injured myself yesterday so have to skip my today's run, but I'll try to test it as soon as I can. it would be interesting to see other's experience.

• Yes, didn't see any flat bits on my run today - but I was out for 4 hours so any pause in altimeter for even a few minutes will not show too well. So I can't confirm or deny unfortunately.

However not seeing any other problems with this version so far, calibration is working well for me but I think I've just found the sweet spot that works for me alone.

• See what I mean - any flat points unless its like ten minutes just won't show.

• This part (about 2 minutes (or miles?) in) seems really flat.

• I calibrated my watch manually to 90m two days ago. Yesterday altitude was 197m, today 47m. And I'm sitting in the same room. I have not used any activity during that time. Perhaps some activity would have corrected the reading, don't know.

• For the first time the altimeter in one of my usual walks in town has gone flat: totally unusable.

Version 20.30:

Version 20.41:

Never been so inaccurate since I purchased my Fenix.
    Is that the fix they mentioned in the release notes? To make the altimeter unusable?

• I didn't have such problems yet, but my altimetry is still unreliable. I think I'll revert to 20.30.

• In the data its 340 then 341 and is on a path on the edge of a moderate size lake. So could be, but is also plausible to be flat