Fenix 6 Series - 20.41 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

20.41 Change Log Notes:

• Updated the software update process to allow the user to defer the installation. This replaces the automatic install during the user's sleep window.
  • Improved altitude calibration.
  • Fixed intermittent issue where device would freeze when starting a round of golf.
  • Fixed issue that would cause device shutdown when editing HIIT data fields.
  • Fixed issue where the device would create empty golf scorecards.
  • Fixed issue where the activity timer could be enabled on the Map-App. (Pro models)

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• Fenix6X Pro

Calibration auto

Sensor auto

Same run

Elev correction disabled 

Elev correction enabled 

• I'm going to reboot my watch before tomorrows run and see if I get any flat bits. One issue is it looks like if there is a 'pause' is that I'm hoping to be out a fair while tomorrow and so if its a pause of a few minutes it may not be seen too well if the timescale is short. But hopefully if there is an issue more people will see it and there will be more reports here

• It started a golf activity autoatically -  weird - I thought Move Iq was only run and walk - and normally only a Move Iq detection would do something like that

• Elevation is utterly broken and its been hopeless since 19.20

This is the elevation plot from my local parkrun - its an out and back 1.56 miles each way so the elevation plot should be reasonably symmetrical

With 15.20

From 20.xx

Why are Garmin not testing this internally as this beta program isn't working if it's going out with huge bugs like this? 

A few un-demanding users saying 'it works fine' in these beta threads clearly is NOT sufficient testing to justify rolling this out. It's completely broken - even in my house which is around 180 feet, I am seeing regular drifts down to 130 feet during the day. And with activities it's worse.

Garmin - you have tried to 'fix' something that was never broken - what is the motivation behind this bonkers change?

• Been reading the Fenix 6 forum for more than a year now. I must say, my Fenix 6S Pro has been working with almost no issues. But I DID notice that altitude gains when going on hikes are significantly less than what the official hike (tour) description says, and also around 10% less than what a friend of mine is recording with his Forerunner as we go together on the same hike.

So any improvements to altitude measurement / calculations would be hugely welcome IMO. When the SAC (Swiss Alpine Club) says that this climb is 1,250m and my friend with his much less expensive watch records just about that +/- 2% and my Fenix 6S Pro records 10% less, I think that Garmin should go back to its roots and FIX THIS.

I don't care about 70% of the other functions of this watch. I just want to go on hikes and ski runs and get the data recorded and calculated properly. Is it too much to ask?

• Is it too much to ask?

When you have 'sycophants' thanking Garmin for these rubbish updates as soon as they are posted with no time to actually test the damn thing, then why would Garmin fix it?

• I just checked my runs and now got flattened parts as well for yesterday's run, but surprisingly elevation averages is the same. I see no issues with elevation in the mornings, not that I saw them before switching to beta.

• When you have 'sycophants' thanking Garmin for these rubbish updates as soon as they are posted with no time to actually test the damn thing, then why would Garmin fix it?

I can't say for others, and their reasons for "thanking Garmin" but personally I always thanked either for working on improving things or for fixing something, any job should be appreciated.

Sometimes it's not as easy as it may seem to fix some nasty bug in a complex system, especially for such big amount of people which wear their watches in various scenarios.

And I'm really happy that they have open BETA testing, it may save the trouble for a larger audience. I'm quite sure that small scale alpha testing is happening internally before a beta released.

Also, it's called BETA for reason, people who don't want to have issues with unstable software could follow the warning on the top of the thread and wait for the release.

By no means I think that Garmin is ideal, but I've used other brands and know their limitations, so far Garmin with its openness to community and long support for their devices suits me the best. If that changes, I'll just switch to other brand  and wouldn't waste my time

• And according to my altimeter test results, after 19.20 altimeter behavior is disappointing...Of course, Garmin listens only to those who applaud him, and they changed the way the altimeter works because of fenix 7 and epix2, as an experiment ... 

• I suspect that the flat parts indicate that the watch falsely switches to barometer mode (assuming sensor mode setting is on 'auto'). Maybe they changed something on the 'auto' sensor mode that is not working properly. Has anybody tried a run with sensor mode to 'altimeter'?