Fenix 6 Series - 20.41 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

20.41 Change Log Notes:

• Updated the software update process to allow the user to defer the installation. This replaces the automatic install during the user's sleep window.
  • Improved altitude calibration.
  • Fixed intermittent issue where device would freeze when starting a round of golf.
  • Fixed issue that would cause device shutdown when editing HIIT data fields.
  • Fixed issue where the device would create empty golf scorecards.
  • Fixed issue where the activity timer could be enabled on the Map-App. (Pro models)

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• I agree, a limited number of repeats or maximum repeat time would make sense.

Also, engine bay environment sounds cool, like you build rockets at SpaceX.

• I think the whole aspect of synchronising the watch via DEM at night is wrong for so many reasons.

a) Many people probably don't want Garmin to synchronise their watch position in the background while they are sleeping. It's a privacy invasion. Also, many people use their watch offline, anyway.

b) The synchronisation will not be very exact. GPS often doesn't work in a bedroom, so Connect will have to resort to Wifi or the mobile mast position. And using the last GPS position could mean some point at the beginning of a mountain trail, far away from home.

c) People don't usually sleep on the ground, only when they are tenting. Otherwise, there can be an offset of up to dozens of meters, in some cases.

e) Don't break what wasn't broken. Nobody expected the algorithm to be perfect, but it worked well enough. Calibrating via GPS, DEM or manually did the trick. DEM is usually precise immediately before you start a run or hike, because you are on the ground level then.

f) The dither and drift introduced in the new calibration algorithm make the new measurements useless anyway. Before, it usually was good to a few meters, which was impressive, considering that it only used pressure, movement, time, and some clever assumptions based on those. Now, it's off by dozens of meters, which you can well see when you return to your starting point after an hour or so.

• Super totally agree ! I reported many of those items in the past but we never now if/who/how is catching our comments that are like messages in the bottle.... Probably the Alti should consider the Baro + Wifi + BT connections + DEM to "understand", multi-gulation. Fenix has got WiFi BT and other so why don't use them all for the scope. If it connects to my WiFi and at XX meters when it is connected it should self-adjust ! It is matter of using AI. So simple. Also, Auto should "check" every 1 or 2 hrs by polling GPS and all the above to "understand" the Altitude and keep it more or less updated during the day. And of course continuosly when training.

• Yep - I think the 'calibrate before activity start' makes a lot of sense. For the majority of people, the altimeter reading outside of an activity is pretty meaningless. During an activity sure, calibrate at start and auto calibrate throughout. But for 24x7 general health tracking I don't think it matters hugely and for the cases it would matter an option to periodically calibrate and check during the day would probably work just as well.

• This time, I changed the sensor mode to "Altimeter only" and guess what? The flat parts in the graph are gone. Auto sensor mode is borked. 

• So it seems like Garmin is still fine tuning the auto mode. Before, people were complaining about altimeter drift while not moving,, which would mean 'auto' mode is balanced too far on the 'altimeter' side (slow pressure changes are attributed to altitude change). So they changed the balance more to the barometer side, and now altimeter is locked in baro mode even when moving (slow pressure changes are attributed to the weather). Seems to be difficult to find a good compromise. 

• No argument with your assessment, but when somebody it's recording an outdoor activity such as run, trail run, bike, walk, hike, ski etc is it not reasonable that altitude should take priority over barometer?

Obviously things like paddleboard, track run, tennis, swim and so on should assume pressure variance to be weather related, since altitude really shouldn't be changing (should it?).

I get that some activities might be more ambiguous about pressure changes, but I would think that those I've mentioned above should be pretty cut and dried. So when people are seeing flat altitude sections in runs and walks when the terrain is not pan flat that just has to be wrong, right?

Could it be that Garmin has taken a one size fits all approach and is ignoring some basic logical assumptions about some activity types and how to handle pressure changes?

• Ok then the altimeter seems sorted out!

Garmin people, please:

Add option to completely deactivate auto calibration for the altimeter, even during night time!!

Add option to lock altimeter mode in activities (while continue studying a working algorithm to switch between modes if set to auto)

Issue a new beta including the above 2 points plus health snapshot and run-walk-stand detection (which I am freaky curious to try but can't afford a Fenix 7 as of now). Would be nice if also real time stamina is added, you would get a huge f6 beta testers base wich would help you improve F7 performances Smiley

Anyone on board?

• Sensor setting on the activity level is indeed a nice idea. For some activities, it should be clear that there cannot be a altitude change. 

What I did lately is to set a hotkey to the sensor mode setting. So setting it as required is at least quickly accessible. (Too bad there is no hotkey for altimeter calibration :) )