Battery drain after update to 8.10?

Battery drain after update to 8.10?

Do you have any experiences with the same after update to 8.10? With 6.10 everything was OK.

• What is everyone referring to as "smart watch" mode?

Smartwatch mode : activity tracking and 24/7 wrist-based heart rate monitoring. 

pulseox = OFF

GPS, and connected sensors = OFF 

watchface = built-in watchface (no watchface downloaded from the store). 

Pulseox is a big burden on the battery. The battery life specified by Garmin in the specifications is without pulseox measurement.

• Yeah, I just charged my watch..  ended at 75% (as I normally do)..  and the first drop was about right.. 4hrs later to 74%.. then, 2hrs went by.. another drop to 73%.  THEN.. within an hour, the next drop to 72%!  I did hard reset at 73% to see if that would slow this back down.  Nothing.  Its falling so fast.  It has never done this until this stupid update

GARMIN FIX THIS! SO ANNOYING

• Well I got 4 days on a full recharge. I use the watch about once a day for an 1.5 hr activity, with only one of those using GPS. The rest were either indoor cycle or strength training. 

The thing that is most annoying to me is I am getting significant drain not during an activity. Last night sitting on the couch with nothing running other than the standard Garmin watch face, I lost 3%/hr! I have the HR and VO2 sensors on all day, but that is just too high. Anyone else getting big drains even outside of an activity?

• Here's another status update from me, trying to make sense of this problem.

• 2 days ago I completely drained the battery, fully recharged it in one go, inspired by one of the comments in this thread.
    • Watch is in normal smartwatch mode, no CIQ installed except a battery widget (battery gauge).
    • The first day I did nothing. Usage was below 0,2% per hour as it should be.
    • Today I went for a 45 min walk with GPS on. Power usage was around 3% per hour. The watch itself says it should run for 57/58 hours on a full charge with this activity, which is 1,7% per hour.  So, there is too much, almost double battery drain during my walk.
    • After my walk, power usage went back, but to a higher level; 0,3% per hour. This kept on going for a few hours
    • After this. power usage dropped further till normal levels again.

My interpretation of this is that:

a) the problem is not always consistent

b) power usage during activity is too high

c) power usage after activity is too high, but not consistent.

I'm really interested to hear about 's progress.

• 1h 44 min cycling, gps, vector 3s , HR strap, 7,8% battery

• But always the battery usage is very high using activities. I suspect the GPS is causing some trouble.

• Yeah, I just charged my watch..  ended at 75% (as I normally do)..  and the first drop was about right.. 4hrs later to 74%.. then, 2hrs went by.. another drop to 73%.  THEN.. within an hour, the next drop to 72%!  I did hard reset at 73% to see if that would slow this back down.  Nothing.  Its falling so fast.  It has never done this until this stupid update

GARMIN FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    SO ANNOYING

I just wanted to be fair here.. and report that here I am 24hrs later.. and the watch is at 68% (actually 25hrs later)  Now, I do use the overnight low power mode (but I did that too before 8.10) so thats not a factor.. just wanted to share.  Anyway, this now reflects a normal usage based on what I have seen in the past.  (0.28%/hr) for a 6s I am told that is good.   So, if anything the % dropped fast after removed from charge.. and then stabilized over time I guess.  Which..  has been the opposite of what I have seen in the past where it will hold a high % after charge, and then as time goes on will stabilize.  Interesting.

• from my experience it's not gps. i noticed my issue with 8.10 while road cycling (several ant devices and following course) with a draw of 10% per hour on the 6x pro, no music in all cases. then on a run with gps + glonass, no ant devices  3% per hour which is ok with me. then mtn biking,  same gps config, HRM strap and a Speed sensor, also 3% per hour, also okay with me. so for me,  the only variables left that caused my road cycling to draw 10% is either the several ant devices (hr, cad, spd, varia radar and vision) or the navigation

i see that 8.75 updated the ant, bt so iam hopeful 

• With running it used more than 10% per hour with only HR strap. Indoor bicycle used much less with the old garmin speed/cadence sensor and HR strap.

• Today I've done some testing with the external sensors for Nate, but no luck.
    I've deleted all my external devices (hrm belt, footpod, headphones).

Here is my day:

12:26 - 12:56
    Indoor running
    30 min treadmill - 6 km
    All external devices deleted.
    GPS: OFF
    WHR: ON
    PulseOX: OFF
    Airplane mode: ON
    42%->36%
    That's 12%/hour without any device, music or GPS, just wrist HR. I've even turned on airplane mode to cut the phone.

---

12:56 - 16:25
    Idle
    36%->28%
    That's about ~1,5%/hour in idle mode.

---

16:24 - 17:41
    Outdoor running
    75 min - 15 km
    All external devices deleted.
    GPS: GPS Only
    WHR: ON
    PulseOX: OFF
    Airplane mode: OFF
    28%->12%
    That's again 13%/hour without any device or music, only GPS and wrist HR. I can't turn on airplane mode, but I turned off phone connection.

---

17:41 - 18:54
    Idle
    12%->12%
    Somewhere below 1%.

No CIQ apps, watchfaces, widgets installed. During the runs I was using stock garmin 8 block datafield.

Firmware: 8.10
    GPS: 4.10
    Wi-Fi: 2.60
    CIQ: 3.1.7
    BMX: 0.5.2
    WHR: 20.04.70
    ANT/BLE/BT: 5.04
    Sensor Hub: 5.06
    ETE: 6.6.1.0
    THA: 2.1.1.0

I've never used wrist HR for training before, so I decided to test this part to while I was running on the treadmill and I've to say it was pretty spoton. In the first km it was way much high, but then it catched my pulse and with a bit of delay it was always in +/- 2BPM range with the treadmills HRM belt. I was positively disappointed in it!