Battery drain after update to 8.10?

Battery drain after update to 8.10?

Do you have any experiences with the same after update to 8.10? With 6.10 everything was OK.

• Hey guys, first I want to say Thank You to everyone for all of the extensive testing and troubleshooting you have done. I have been adding these details and they will be helpful in resolving this battery drain issue. We do have a new 8.75 beta that was released, if anyone is able and willing to test this that would be great.

Please know that the 8.10 battery drain has been escalated and our engineers are working on resolving the issue as quickly as possible.

• Thanks Nate. I will be moving to 8.75 now. My findings since my last full discharge and charge are actually not bad for smartwatch mode. For the past 2,5 days I was at (less than) 0,2%/hr (6x). The activities still seem to be on the high side, but I do see improvement after the full discharge/recharge.

Moving on to 8.75 now. Thanks for your continued support Nate!

• Hey there, 

if it helps any further to have increasing number of issues, I'm experiencing high battery drain in activity too:

- Indoor bike training (HR belt connected, no GPS, no music, no pulse Ox): around 15 % battery drop in 1h 30 min.  

- Strength training with the oHR (no HR belt, no GPS, no music, no pulse Ox): 15 - 20 % battery drop in 1h 40 min.

That was for sure not happening with the previous firmware version. Out of activity seems reasonable, barely 1-2 % over 8 h.

If you need any log file please let me know and where/how to send it.

• Agree the same as you.

Smart watch quite ok, but activities are very bad. Then takes lot of time, after stop activity, to get to normal low battery consumption.

• Yeah, I just charged my watch..  ended at 75% (as I normally do)..  and the first drop was about right.. 4hrs later to 74%.. then, 2hrs went by.. another drop to 73%.  THEN.. within an hour, the next drop to 72%!  I did hard reset at 73% to see if that would slow this back down.  Nothing.  Its falling so fast.  It has never done this until this stupid update

GARMIN FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    SO ANNOYING

I just wanted to be fair here.. and report that here I am 24hrs later.. and the watch is at 68% (actually 25hrs later)  Now, I do use the overnight low power mode (but I did that too before 8.10) so thats not a factor.. just wanted to share.  Anyway, this now reflects a normal usage based on what I have seen in the past.  (0.28%/hr) for a 6s I am told that is good.   So, if anything the % dropped fast after removed from charge.. and then stabilized over time I guess.  Which..  has been the opposite of what I have seen in the past where it will hold a high % after charge, and then as time goes on will stabilize.  Interesting.

I wanted to update my own posts / situation with my 6s.

Here I am now on day two from this charge..  and I will say that there is nothing wrong with my daily, "smartwatch" battery drain vs. what I have seen before v8.10.

My posts from before were because 1. I did see a weird drop in % after the first few hours off the charge (which is in fact different on v8.10 than before) and 2. I was following this thread and of course assumed I also had a battery issue.  So, I dont want to "cloud" the space here and everyone should know that my normal drain rate is totally fine.

I have not been able to do any GPS activity's (COVID-19) and where I run its on a path, that now has been taken over with everyone looking to get outside (too crowded now).  When I bike, I use the EDGE, so I cant say how the drain is with GPS and tracking.  I did do some home strength workouts and used music.. and this was about a 6% loss in 45min, which again I initially thought was way too much.. and in fact its right on spec. (12hrs max on a full charge)  So, that all lines up.

But some of you definitely have reported other drain issues.. so who knows.. there still is something going on.  HUGE shout out to Nate who really has been great with all of this.  Thank you.  It's worth saying BTW, that I dont think anyone will find people from Apple, or Samsung, or the other manufactures in forums directly trying to help people ;-)

Stay safe everyone!

T

• I am on version 8.74 (fenix 6x pro) and I also noticed abnormal battery consumption after activity but I don't have it during activity.
    For example. Yesterday's 40 minute run (GPS - on, WHR - on, Stryde - for pace, music - as a phone control) - a drop of approx. 1% and that's OK.

Then in the next 4 hours - a drop of another 4% (after 2 hours I turned off BT to check if it will help - no improvement).
    After this 4 hours I did a hard reset because I noticed that the WHR is lit steadily instead of blinking. This is odd because the pulse was then low (between 45-65) and earlier after running I took a shower and took off my watch and WHR behaved normally.

• Hi all, just to share my battery drain. I somehow strange that only the non GPS activities are mentioned... My current status is after a week in smartwatch mode (OHR and BT always on, several notifications with vibrate, no backlight, Infocal watch face with 1minute update and battery widget) + 9 hours of biking activities with GPS and external HRM sensor + Speed and cadence sensor... the current battery shows 52% charge, which is similar to last 2 charging phases (13 and 12 days between charges with 16-18 h GPS). This battery phase is with 8.10 version on F6X.

• Confirmed again that i lost 9% per hour while Road cycling, about double what it was prior to 8.10. For me all other activities are normal with gps, cad, hr ANT, etc. By process of elimination the only difference when i Road cycle is varia radar and varia vision and i use nav and follow a course.  Just to be clear, the exact same road cycle config prior to 8.10 was about half battery usage. I really hope the next version fixes this. 

side vent. this is what i hate most about garmin. things can be perfect but with every sw release i bite my nails and wonder what will be broken that was perfect before. They really need to figure out how to make continuous improvements without breaking  other things.  ok i feel better now

• I tried this yesterday, depleted battery until the watch shut down. Left on charge until 100%. Now with no activity, only Smart Watch settings with Pulseox off and its worse!!! I now have according to my battery app 1.5%/hr battery drain. 

• Edit to add I did a soft reset as well