Fenix 6 Series - 5.77 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
Fenix 6s Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
Fenix 6 Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

5.77 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed an issue where the device would crash when starting a POI search right after canceling an 'Around Me' search.
  • Fixed an issue where features that auto-enable during the sleep window were not working as expected. (For Ex: Battery Saver.)
  • Made some improvements to the DogTracker widget.
  • Made several other bug fixes and code improvements.

We have temporarily removed in-activity data field editing in this beta. We have identified a few bugs and while they are difficult to reproduce, we do not want our customers to experience these issues. When these bugs are resolved, this feature will be added back in to software.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 2.70
Sensor Hub: 4.20
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 4.30
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 2.10
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• Yes. just do not start the activity on the F6 and be sure BT connection is off to be sure that the chest strap is not connected. I made this mistake once and the HR was great :) because it picked up the strap.

• I remembered reading your post. I will wait for a full release as i do not like beta and my 3.0 firmware is fine. Other users reported that 5.74b did not fix it either. So i am just watching.

• Oliv, that looks great.

What's your firmware?

• I've got a feedback from Beta team that the issue is now fixed: "" Thank you for E-mailing in and thank you for the feedback. We are aware of this issue and it should now be fixed to display the device information.""

I also started and saved a dummy indoor cycling activity and it seems the device information is really shown

• I agree with @gaijin 

I will make a reply and try to elaborate my thoughts about it. Regardless I realize that the activity I used as an example, with pause and resume later, was a really bad example :-)

But... about GPS accuracy your track is perfect!!! 

Which is your secret? Could you share with us your settings?

I have no secret recipe but I will gladly share my way of using it. First of all I have those awful examples as well, especially when walking in tough conditions but one thing that I can't complain about is distance accuracy (that's another story and is covered in many other threads).

I think that there are a lot of things that affects the accuracy; One device is not equal to another, the geographic location, current weather conditions, surroundings and how you wear the watch. I generally get good to acceptable accuracy when running and one thing is that I have a running style were my arms always puts the watch face towards the sky and I always wear it outside of my clothes and gloves. I think that is one of the reasons. For the specific run that I posted a link to I was running with my child in a running stroller which will keep my arms and hands very stable and always upfront.

For settings I use GPS+GLONASS, did some tests with Galileo but I find GLONASS a bit better. No 3D stuff or power savings and 1s recording. I let the watch get a fix (green signal) and depending on the situation I wait another second or minute but never more than that. Here is where I can see the biggest difference between GLONASS and Galileo, Galileo requires much more time to get a good fix and I've noticed the same on my Android phone using GPSTest. 

• I use FW 5.77 but it was the same with 5.76 and 5.75

• Not solved for me : 

I always find it amazing that my $ 30 optical finger sensor immediately shows the same values as the trainer with the chest strap. 

• Have you tried to wear the watch higher on your forearm ? This morning i did a test. I was on the elliptical too swinging my arms. I had the garmin a little higher on the forearm and the whoop close to my elbow. On the other hand, i had the polar vantage V also a little higher on the forearm. All 3 of them were showing only ohr not in an activity. I had the chest strap connected to the elliptical and all the watches have connection off not to grab the strap. Garmin was a beat or two difference. I went up to 130. It took 5 seconds maybe to get a good lock. The polar was also very close. The whoop was not and i am surprised. I am still running 3.0 and until i do not get a thread saying that your watch is finally working, i will not upgrade. I made the mistake with my first watch to upgrade and it behaved like yours. The concern is that some users are saying 5.77b fixes that. if it is the case then some hardware may not be compatible with some firmware.

• Yes, no matter how I wear it. It doesn't bring good data.

• Ok, i had a feeling too. I keep watching the thread about the next firmware relesae. That is strange that in the beta log, nothing is mentioned about bad HR.