Fenix 6 Series - 5.77 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
Fenix 6s Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
Fenix 6 Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

5.77 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed an issue where the device would crash when starting a POI search right after canceling an 'Around Me' search.
  • Fixed an issue where features that auto-enable during the sleep window were not working as expected. (For Ex: Battery Saver.)
  • Made some improvements to the DogTracker widget.
  • Made several other bug fixes and code improvements.

We have temporarily removed in-activity data field editing in this beta. We have identified a few bugs and while they are difficult to reproduce, we do not want our customers to experience these issues. When these bugs are resolved, this feature will be added back in to software.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 2.70
Sensor Hub: 4.20
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 4.30
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 2.10
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• I have the same "problem". After upgrading to 5.77b, no device shown from todays run. But all the others back in time still shows the Fenix 6.

• But do you only do steady starte running. Mine is fi e for that and always has been. Its exercise where the heart rate fluctuates that causes the problems. 

• And that has generally been the case for most. OHR will struggle too keep pace for changes in exercise intensity. It's fine for steady state but for activities where there is rapid intensity changes it will struggle. However, even using a strap will not provide a complete solution as heart rate always lags intensity and can lag by up to 30s in both directions.

This is not something that can be 'fixed' as in part it's physiological and in part detection.  

• Not you again! The Samsung galaxy watch can handle this and the Vivoactive 3 too. I don't care how many times you keep repeating your point across the many posts about this issue. There is a clear issue with the sensor/software for some users. 

• Indeed. I think most of the users do not know or they have no way to compare. Or they just do not care. I was in the same boat when I got my 6S. it upgraded to 5.0 right away. i thought everything was great and had no complaints. until i went up/down the stairs and my HR could no go higher than 80 while my whoop and polar were above 100 and matching. I did more checking and a few times, it was fime. made no sense. I returned it and got another one with 3.0. No issues. all the same test i did before with the other watch now gives accurate data. Could it be in the hardware ? maybe but i am not taking a chance right now. I have a friend that told me his 6X worked fine until yesterday when he stopped the chest strap and the HR went from 140 to 70 for 3 mn.

• I think that for most of the users the fenix 6 is just great and works perfectly. That's why you don't hear from them. 

• Does this resolve the "loading maps" delay that some people including me have when loading up "around me". I've tried going through and gradually reinstalling the maps but it takes hours and I don't seem to have gotten anywhere

The problem exists with the DEM maps and that is why it’s taking forever to load. To resolve this, you must delete the DEM maps in /Garmin folder and then reinstall the TOPO US maps (or whatever your region is) maps via GE.

You’ll find that it will now only take 10 seconds to load.

On a side note, when you open up Maps and you “Pan” in or out, it’s in “Yards” and not “Feet” as my system settings are set at.

• Yep. I and others will keep saying the same thing again and again and again. OHR has issues with rapidly changing pulse rates. Straps have issues with rapidly changing intensity. OHR works for some and doesn't work for others.

There is a clear issue with the sensor/software for some users. 

And we agree on this.

• I had 2 odd things happen to me today while snowshoeing.

The first thing was that my real-time distance was measuring WAY short for the first half. Since it was an incredibly steep uphill, and I was wearing snowshoes, I thought maybe I was just moving really really slow. Well, I was moving slow... but not THAT slow. When I reached the summit, my watch showed 0.79 miles, when really it was 1.3 mile. So it was really off by a lot. (I had 3d speed and distance turned on, if that matters). But then something strange happened - when I used the "back to start" function, the watch recalculated everything and displayed the correct distances, and at the end my total distance was spot on. So why was it SO far off on the datafield for the first half of the hike?

The other weird thing that happened, I was almost to the top of the 2000ft mountain, and looked at my watch and it said I had climbed only 600 feet. Obviously not right. But then when I got to the summit 400 feet later, it said I had climbed 2000 feet, which was correct.

So something really bizarre is happening with the real-time datafields for elevation and distance, that's not actually affecting the recorded distance and elevation data.

This snowshoeing activity was done using the Hike activity.

• I noticed (with an earlier firmware) that when snowshoeing the Garmin is pretty confused.  I think the slow pace messes with the filtering algorithms.  I did a 2 mile snowshow where I broke trail out and retraced my steps back, on the recording, it shows me at zero miles per hour with the dot skipping forwards every 20-30 seconds and it significantly under-recorded the distance.  On the way back with a faster speed, it is a normal track.