Fenix 6 Series - 5.77 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
Fenix 6s Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
Fenix 6 Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

5.77 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed an issue where the device would crash when starting a POI search right after canceling an 'Around Me' search.
  • Fixed an issue where features that auto-enable during the sleep window were not working as expected. (For Ex: Battery Saver.)
  • Made some improvements to the DogTracker widget.
  • Made several other bug fixes and code improvements.

We have temporarily removed in-activity data field editing in this beta. We have identified a few bugs and while they are difficult to reproduce, we do not want our customers to experience these issues. When these bugs are resolved, this feature will be added back in to software.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 2.70
Sensor Hub: 4.20
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 4.30
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 2.10
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• Updated my F6 Sapphire Titanium.

I am curious if this new GPS 2.70 does include a fix for the "little to short gps-distance"-problem on the Fenix 6 also.

forums.garmin.com/.../fenix-6x-sapphire---problem-with-gps-total-distance

• It's funny that the last 3 updates have all included stuff for dog tracking - Does anyone use that? It sounds neat, but the collars cost as much as the watch! Also I don't have a dog, but I do have a kid - unfortunately they don't make a kid tracker, unless you put the dog collar on your kid Smiley

Anyways, to answer the question above - the GPS update I think only addresses the issue where some people's watches sometimes take a very long time to acquire GPS signal. I don't think it addresses the "too short" or "too long" gps distance issues that a few people are reporting. I still don't think there actually is an issue with that. It only seems to be a problem when people run on oval tracks or really twisty/turny trails. Normal trails that don't make tons of hairpin turns are reporting the correct distance for most people. My measured 5k run that I do several times a week always shows me 3.08 to 3.12 miles at the end. So I'm not sure if I'd ever expect an update to address this, and honestly I kind of hope they don't, since it might screw up the measurements for straighter trails that are currently working fine as a result. But that's a discussion for a different thread I suppose.

• Dog Tracking, I assume that is most interesting for people hunting. The expensive collars also sold in "hunting department". Cool feature!

I think you are right with regard to GPS "too short". I only experience this on trail running, and all my trails are so far in between trees in hilly terrain. On asphalt flat roads the GPS is only negligible "too short".

The Forerunner 945 with identical hardware seems to work better, probably due to it's non metal casing.

• I couldn't care less about half the features being worked on like DogTracker, but honestly I really appreciate F6 being the favored Garmin model right now. I'm sure it helps being common HW & features with MARQ, and we're probably beta testers for what should be trickling down to the 945, which might be getting a raw deal on SW. I'd be curious to get internal stats on sales #s, gross revenue and profit by model, as I suspect that F6 and MARQ prices are really incentivizing Garmin to develop for them right now. Maybe competition from Suunto and Coros helps....

P.S. I owned Instinct and then 945 before returning each to buy F6X. The total experience with F6X has been much better (but you're really paying for it).

• Just going off what I've noticed in the Reddit forum for Garmin, it seems to me that most people are either buying the Vivo/Venu series of watches, or the Fenix series. No idea if that's an accurate representation of their actual sales or not - but I know there are definitely a LOT of Fenix owners out there. I think it's their "flagship" watch.

• So I plugged my watch into my PC, and copied the new GPS firmware to the RemoteSW folder, but noticed there was already another file in there called gup3107.gcd. It appears to be the same 2.70 GPS update file as the one I placed there manually, just with a different filename, and I think Garmin Express put it there automatically when I plugged the watch in. So I deleted the one I placed there from the Beta update .zip file, because I don't know what would happen if there were two identical update files with different filenames in the RemoteSW folder. Just a heads up for other people installing this Beta. No idea if it would cause an issue or not, but I didn't want to be the guinea pig Smiley

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to speedtriple99
    I sincerely hope Garmin will pay attention to the problem of measuring distance in poor GPS conditions because it really is no longer funny but tragic for a $$$ watch ....
  • So do I, but I have my doubts if this is fixable with fw-update. Might have to wait for Fenix 7.

If a firmware revision could fix this, I would definitely accept shorter battery life for better GPS in poor conditions if that is the consequence of modifying the firmware.

• And how must Garmin solve this? They need to interpolate when there's no GPS signal. In order to do they need to make a few assumptions. So it is an estimation and not a measurement at cost of accuracy...

• That was also the case with Fenix 3 and 5: there were bugs to fix the whole day long and they had nothing else to do than fix dog track :-D