_

Who is still interested about, please switch over : 

forums.garmin.com/.../after-update-to-5-0-whr-is-trash

• Sorry to hear you continue to have HRM troubles.    The steps  above are quite involved.  If those steps lead to trouble, then perhaps dont do them.

For anyone running a Windows PC.  If you take a USB device and plug it in, unplug,  and repeat.  Its guaranteed that you'll end up with some USB/device conflicts.  How long has window 7 and 10 been around?  

If you continually switch devices connected to a watch, its complicated.  And these watches have an ever growing array of not only supported devices, but interfaces (wifi, BT, ANT+, usb).

This does change that the watch isnt working to your expectations.    Again sorry to hear that.   Hopefully you can find a work around.

for BT headphones we all had workarounds

for RD pod, we had workarounds

for Ski activity crashes, we have workarounds

Maybe needing workarounds stinks.  Maybe its good enough to have them until updates comes.   Or people are free to select other devices if they suit their needs better.    

Here's to hoping for OHRM updates soon for those have observe issues..

• sorry, but no problem with any connection. Don’t need any workaround. We need a Garmin fix. The software code is faulty. I never have any device connected to the watch. Only one time a day for a few minutes with connect mobile to sync the device. I am also not running windows. I am on mac, and no connection problems.

heartrate with optical sensor is correct, if you start an activity, but drops suddenly when you stop the activity. it make absolutely no sence, what you’re talking about. 

the watch firmware is faulty. 

and again: Garmin is aware of this issue since month. See the ticket number.

• My 6x Sapphire is on:
    sw 5.00
    gps 2.60
    wifi 2.60
    ciq 3.1.6
    bmx 0.5.1
    whr 20.04.50
    ant/ble/bt 4.30
    sensor hub 3.10

I'm would like to report that the OHRM readings that I've taken in numerous conditions (sitting idle,  during activities, post-activity) are all very reasonable and accurate.  Especially compared to prior Fenix models I have had.

I dont "check" or verify against other hand held HR monitors (such as a rowing machine or treadmill).  I check my  pulse as a doctor or PA would do.  I count heart beats for fixed interval of seconds.   Each time I've done that check, I've personally been impressed how accurate it has been.

therefore,  HRM an ORHM is not universal to all the fenix devices.     (stinks its not working as well for everyone)

• This is hardly a normal use case is it? Why would I or anyone do this? When I want to do a sport, I’ll start an activity. I can’t see any reason to do otherwise. So yes, this might well be a bug. But it’s not one that appears to affect how normal users would normally use the watch.

Under normal use conditions outside of an activity heart rate should not go that high. If it does the individual has a problem and should see a doctor. And of course, that’s the reason for the abnormal heart rate setting.

Feel free to educate me otherwise of course. I’d love to know what important functionality I might be missing by using the watch in the manner you describe.

I can see why this is not a priority fix for Garmin

• So, you can confirm you did the test like at i titled? Your widget shows up to 150 ? Without starting an activity and without connection to a strap ? Only using the optical sensor?

• If you make following test with optical heartrate sensor  at this condition: do sports WITHOUT starting an activity (and whithout a strap connected)Your real heartrate should be above 150. THEN switch to the build in heartrate widget to check what is displayed. What does it show live at the moment you should be above 150 ?

Quick question: What use case does this test reflect? Why would I have a sports watch that has tons of different activities to cater for a lot of sports and then won't use any of those while getting my heartrate above 150? 

In my personal use -
    I most of the times use a chest strap and start an activity when I intend to get in this region of heartrate and so far did not encounter a problem.
    When I forget a chest strap, I still start an activity and did not encounter a problem as of today. 

• So, you can confirm you did the test like at i titled?

I read in another post where someone conducted your test as described, had no issues and posted pictures for you . What is it your looking for?  Do you believe all watches on this FW have this issue? You say Garmin acknowledged the problem and is working on it. It is an odd case use and in my opinion not of high importance. 

• Thats a normal use case for people like me, having a hard job, and getting 8 hours a day higher heartrates. So all the stats become rubbish. I.e. calories burned over the day become to low. Maybe its a not a normal use case for table jobs. But i make around 12000 to 16000 steps at these 8 hours.
  • If you don't mind me asking, what is it you do where you'd have such an elevated HR for 8 hrs a day?