Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• I'd like to add something I discovered.
    I switched my 645M to Fenix 5+
    Now, when it connect to Stryd both as PWR and as FP, your app shows "Searching"
    When I disable PWR sensor and connect only FP, your app plays OK.
    Is this a known thing?
  • Hi, I have a Garmin 645 Music, I tried using 2 data screens Run Power and Run Power B together, however, only one data screen shows the power number even I have both the apps set with the Ant+ ID. Seems to work fine on my Garmin Fenix 5 plus. Any Idea if this is a limitation on the 645M or is there a workaround for this? Thank you.
  • Can someone help a dumb one over here;loving the app and idea but having a hard time to figure out how to change zone names.
    trying to set up 7 zones as i am usin 80/20 plan, 1,2,x,3,y,4,5.
    but what ever i put under zone name list doesnt change names on the setting screen of the app.
    is there a format how to wright names or i am missing something?!
  • robbyzg the names on the settings screen won’t change, as these are fixed. But the zone name displayed for the Power Zone field should be displayed properly, as long as you have enough names for all your zones.
  • Analogy I’m not sure how the Stryd app calculates lap average power, but my app:
    - ignores power values over 2000, due to a Fenix 5 bug that is supposedly fixed now
    - adds up all the power values seen during the lap (once per second) and divides that by the number of samples
    - any samples taken while the timer is paused are ignored

This is how all the lap averages are calculated, except for lap pace/speed, which is just distance divided by time. It’s not 100% perfect (CIQ data fields “refresh” pretty close to once per second, but not always exactly), but I would expect the numbers to be pretty reasonable. Hopefully I didn’t make a mistake somewhere.
  • jtsang hmm, maybe two apps can’t connect to the same sensor directly, in the same manner? Maybe the only reason the Stryd app and Run Power can work together is because one connects to the Stryd as a foot pod, and the other as a power meter. Unfortunately I can’t test this since I don’t have a Stryd.

Thanks for for letting me know!
  • ge0kas, not sure, I’d have to know more about your exact setup. If you have a Fenix 5+ or any other multisport watch, you don’t need to connect natively as a power meter and enter the ANT+ ID in the app (which makes a direct connection as a power meter). One or the other should suffice (I recommend the native method.)

The ANT+ ID setting for Fenix 5+/5X is sort of useless; it’s only there so you can connect a second power meter, but for normal purposes it’s not necessary. I should really make that more clear.
  • Analogy I’m not sure how the Stryd app calculates lap average power, but my app:
    - ignores power values over 2000, due to a Fenix 5 bug that is supposedly fixed now
    - adds up all the power values seen during the lap (once per second) and divides that by the number of samples
    - any samples taken while the timer is paused are ignored

This is how all the lap averages are calculated, except for lap pace/speed, which is just distance divided by time. It’s not 100% perfect (CIQ data fields “refresh” pretty close to once per second, but not always exactly), but I would expect the numbers to be pretty reasonable. Hopefully I didn’t make a mistake somewhere.

I think the numbers are reasonable. I’m going to test everything today and cross reference the numbers. I’ll keep you posted :)
  • Hi Flowstate,

the numbers are fine. The value is not off by much, compared to the Stryd app. It’s about 4W :)
  • FlowState I am using your datafield quite some time.
    I use a formula at custom field, I am seeing the calculated value during the run (f5x), but I isn't recorded and displayed at garmin connect (lap page). I get a dash (-) for each lap.
    Of course I have selected "record to fit file".
    Is it a bug, or I am doing something wrong?
    ????