Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• FlowState thank you for the great work on the Run Power app. It really is very polished and feature rich!

I have the following problem when using the app in tandem with the Stryd Power data field on the Vivoactive 3 (T2):
    When starting a run one of two situations happens:
    • Both apps show the correct power (and all the metrics produced by the Stryd are correctly recorded in the FIT file)
    • Only the Stryd Power data field shows a value for power, while Run Power shows searching (the other fields like time, HR all work)

I have yet to determine, why this setup only works some of the times (roughly 1 in 5 times) and fails otherwise.
    I have both data fields set up with the correct id as shown in the Garmin settings.
    I also tried only providing Run Power with the ID, which did not change anything.
    The Stryd is paired with the watch as a foot pod (remember that on the VA3 it’s not possible to add power meters).

Any suggestions on what might be the problem? I hope I did not miss the solution when skimming the thread.

edit: It also does not seem to make any difference whether I wait for the foot pod to connect in the pre-run screen or whether I start right away.
    edit2: Not sure if this is relevant: For now I use the default data fields in Run Power without any complicated averaged ones.
  • kiudee sorry you’re experiencing issues. I have heard other reports of intermittent connectivity issues. Since I don’t own a Stryd I can’t test these scenarios. My own testing with an HRM and modified code did not produce such issues.

I have heard that it takes the Stryd 30s to a minute to enter “power meter” mode, so I’m not sure if that has something to do with it. I have also heard that the Stryd field is able to send a special command to “wake the Stryd up” earlier, which my app is unable to do (because I don’t know what the command is,)

Your choice of fields should not make a difference.

I can only recommend closing the Run activity completely and opening it again, if you have issues. This would completely restart Run Power and any other CIQ data fields.

EDIT: Also, what happens if you don’t use the Stryd field? There’s a limit on ANT connections, but you should see “ANT Busy” in that case.
  • FlowState as soon as I am home, I will do more tests. So far, everytime I exclusively used the Run Power data field, it was showing power (no problems).
    So far I never saw an "ANT Busy" message.

I will try waiting for a longer time, before starting the run. When starting the run, the Stryd field pretty consistently starts to show values after a few seconds (nothing in the range of 30s).

Is there a way for me to activate debug output, which could be helpful?
  • kiudee sorry, there's no debug output. The best I could do is if I could figure out the general ballpark of the problem, I could add debug statements in a private build for you.

In general I can't add debug statements or any unnecessary code for the normal version of the app because memory is very tight.
  • Update 8.6
    • Reduce memory usage
    • T3 (e.g. 935, Fenix 5):
      Allow NP/IF and Lap NP/IF at the same time
    • T2/T3 (e.g. 735XT, VAHR, VA3, VA3M, 645, 935, Fenix 5):
      Add options to disable HR/Power colors. Add options for alert frequency, limit
  • Hi flow, i just buy the new Fenix 5+. The app doesn't show/record power ig there isn't stryd power data field in use. Please check it and let me know. Thank you
  • Michele17 unfortunately I unable to check it as I neither own a 5+ nor a Stryd. Having said that, please:

1) Pair your Stryd as a power meter with your watch (using the watch settings, not the Run Power settings) as noted in the manual
    2) Wait at least 30s after starting to move, but before starting your activity

Let me know how it goes.

EDIT: For recording, make sure the “Record Power...” checkbox is checked in the app settings.
  • Michele17 unfortunately I unable to check it as I neither own a 5+ nor a Stryd. Having said that, please:

1) Pair your Stryd as a power meter with your watch (using the watch settings, not the Run Power settings) as noted in the manual
    2) Wait at least 30s after starting to move, but before starting your activity

Let me know how it goes.

EDIT: For recording, make sure the “Record Power...” checkbox is checked in the app settings.

OK, i will try and let you know.
    Does Stryd must be pair only as power meter or it can be pair both PM and FP?
    Do you know, if i don't use Stryd power field, all datas such leg stifness, verticall oslillon, ground time contact, will record?
  • Michele17, great questions. I should probably add a FAQ to the manual, since these questions come up quite frequently.

- The Stryd can be paired as both a power meter and a footpod. Unlike most sensors, it can connect multiple times
    - The Stryd running dynamics such as leg stiffness, vertical oscillation, ground contact time, etc. will not be recorded by Run Power. Run Power cannot even read this data. I don't know of any app that can.

Right now, afaik, the Stryd apps are the only ones that read/record this data. Especially because Stryd transmits standard running dynamics data such as VO and GCT in a non-standard way, instead of using the standard running dynamics profile. (This is my educated guess, based on the fact Stryd running dynamics show up as IQ fields, rather than native data, and also based on the fact that you pair the Stryd as a footpod and not an RD-pod)

At this time, I don't even have the information that I requested from Stryd to read this data. But even if I could read this data, I'm not sure if I can/should record it all, given that there's a limit on how much data fields can record. See below.

What Run Power does record:
    - Power (activity graph)
    - Average Power (activity summary) (*)
    - Max Power (activity summary) (*)
    - Lap (Average) Power (*)
    - Lap Max Power (*)

(*) My understanding is that the Stryd data field does not record this data.

So if you want your Stryd running dynamics, you would still need the Stryd data field.

It's possible that one day in the future, Run Power (+?) could record all the Stryd fields, at least on the top-tier watches, but then I would probably have to sacrifice some of the additional fields listed above. I suppose it could also be an option, although I hate making things even more complicated.

This can only happen if Stryd decides to get back to me, tho.

I guess another way would be if I actually owned a Stryd, but I don't.
  • Michele17, great questions. I should probably add a FAQ to the manual, since these questions come up quite frequently.

- The Stryd can be paired as both a power meter and a footpod. Unlike most sensors, it can connect multiple times
    - The Stryd running dynamics such as leg stiffness, vertical oscillation, ground contact time, etc. will not be recorded by Run Power. Run Power cannot even read this data. I don't know of any app that can.

Right now, afaik, the Stryd apps are the only ones that read/record this data. Especially because Stryd transmits standard running dynamics data such as VO and GCT in a non-standard way, instead of using the standard running dynamics profile. (This is my educated guess, based on the fact Stryd running dynamics show up as IQ fields, rather than native data, and also based on the fact that you pair the Stryd as a footpod and not an RD-pod)

At this time, I don't even have the information that I requested from Stryd to read this data. But even if I could read this data, I'm not sure if I can/should record it all, given that there's a limit on how much data fields can record. See below.

What Run Power does record:
    - Power (activity graph)
    - Average Power (activity summary) (*)
    - Max Power (activity summary) (*)
    - Lap (Average) Power (*)
    - Lap Max Power (*)

(*) My understanding is that the Stryd data field does not record this data.

So if you want your Stryd running dynamics, you would still need the Stryd data field.

It's possible that one day in the future, Run Power (+?) could record all the Stryd fields, at least on the top-tier watches, but then I would probably have to sacrifice some of the additional fields listed above. I suppose it could also be an option, although I hate making things even more complicated.

This can only happen if Stryd decides to get back to me, tho.

I guess another way would be if I actually owned a Stryd, but I don't.

What about NP? does it record also this value (both lap and total NP) when you mean Power?

Can i use cutom metric field tu put in the same space NP + IF and in the other LAP NP + LAP IF ?

Can you write me the both formulas and formulas for time,laptime,distance and lap distance?

thank you