Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Michele17 thanks for the bug report.

I've fixed Lap NP and Lap IF -- these were the only affected metrics AFAIK, as the code for them is a bit special. Please update from the store.

I've tested IF, NP, Lap IF and Lap NP so all should be well now. I also fixed the quota for mid-tier devices (T3 e.g. 645, 935, Fenix 5) so that you can have either NP/IF or Lap NP/IF, but not both (because Lap NP is not the same thing as NP).
  • michele17 thanks for the bug report.

I've fixed lap np and lap if -- these were the only affected metrics afaik, as the code for them is a bit special. Please update from the store.

I've tested if, np, lap if and lap np so all should be well now. I also fixed the quota for mid-tier devices (t3 e.g. 645, 935, fenix 5) so that you can have either np/if or lap np/if, but not both (because lap np is not the same thing as np).

thanks man! Will test it as soon as possible!
  • FlowState just to let you know I’ve raised an idea with garmin about changing the need to use clones
  • Matt_Barrett Thanks. I have also raised the issue in the bug report forum and a Garmin employee responded that an improvement request was filed.

I want the CIQ ecosystem to get better for everyone.
  • Hi again, as I mentioned, your app is the only one that works with Stryd and FR645m so I am continuing bothering you.
    I love your app but I don't use zones. All Palladino's plans use percentage of FTP
    So when I saw Power Colors like Green, Orange and then Red I thought it was the alerts I had put in the string.
    Then I realized, it was the zones.
    Please can you make it selectable, like "No zones, colors are for alerts)
  • ge0kas with 645m, simply uncheck “color power fields” in the settings. Same with HR or cadence if you like.

This setting is missing from some other watches (935, 645) due to memory constraints but will be added to Run Power+ for all devices that support field colours.

If it bothers ppl I’ll have to look to squeezing it in to Run Power as well.

I currently have no plan to use field colours to signify alerts, tho.

EDIT: On watches that currently lack the ability to turn off Power colors (like VA3, 645 and 935), one workaround would be to set your Zone 1 Min very high (like 1000). This assumes that you don't use zones at all, of course.
  • Michele17 thanks for the bug report.

I've fixed Lap NP and Lap IF -- these were the only affected metrics AFAIK, as the code for them is a bit special. Please update from the store.

I've tested IF, NP, Lap IF and Lap NP so all should be well now. I also fixed the quota for mid-tier devices (T3 e.g. 645, 935, Fenix 5) so that you can have either NP/IF or Lap NP/IF, but not both (because Lap NP is not the same thing as NP).

Hi, i've tester today the update, lap if Is now ok but normal if (of the entire Activity) shows %FTP.
    I know it's the sane but It doesn't seem ok.
    Check It please and let me know. Hope ti help you. Thank You
  • Michele17 if you have a mid-tier watch (935, Fenix 5), then there is a quota on metrics.

You can only have ONE of:
    - A 30 second metric
    - Activity NP/IF
    - Lap NP/IF

If you have more than one, it will be changed to something else, as you have seen.

This is because of memory constraints. Otherwise the field would just crash. To calculate any of those metrics, the field needs to store 30 seconds worth of recent data, which for the the 935/etc. is a lot of memory. To put it in perspective, a typical smartphone app is maybe 100 MB in size. Garmin data fields on 935 are allowed 32 KB of memory. That Garmin app has to squeeze into memory equal to 1/3200th the size of that smartphone app. And smartphone apps can probably use much more memory than 100 MB (maybe hundreds of MBs).

In my upcoming app Run Power+, I will be saving lots of memory by moving settings from GC to a web app. However, I'm also adding new features, so I can't say whether I can ease the quota. However, I should at least be able to display a user-friendly message about the quota, at the time you select your data fields.

So I'm afraid you'll have to choose between IF or Lap IF.

Sorry about that!
  • Michele17 having said all of that, I can think of a way to use the same data to calculate Lap IF and IF without doubling the memory usage (i.e. without storing 60 seconds of data versus 30). But it will require a rewrite and it will still take slightly more memory. I can't make any promises and I can't give you an ETA, but I'll look into it.