Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Hi,

this data field seems to have everything I want :). One thing though, I can't seem to get it working with my Stryd. For some reason i don't get any power readings during my runs.

Setup: Garmin Fenix 5X with Stryd footpod.

The Stryd is working fine, afterwards i get to see all my powerdata in the Stryd app, if I use the standard stryd powerfields i also get power data. When using the Run Power field i don't get any power data. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards,
    Pieterjan
  • Hi,

this data field seems to have everything I want :). One thing though, I can't seem to get it working with my Stryd. For some reason i don't get any power readings during my runs.

Setup: Garmin Fenix 5X with Stryd footpod.

The Stryd is working fine, afterwards i get to see all my powerdata in the Stryd app, if I use the standard stryd powerfields i also get power data. When using the Run Power field i don't get any power data. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards,
    Pieterjan

Never mind: I seemed to have the Stryd footpod only active as footpod and not as powermeter.... Enabled the powermeter and it seems to work fine... ;)
  • influenza cool glad it's working for you now. Let me know if there was anything unclear or incorrect in the setup instructions.
  • Update 8.0

For T2 and T3 watches:

- Add Power, HR field coloring
    - Power colors supported for 5 power zones only
    - Remove theme color setting
    - Remove HR %Max, HRR% metrics
    - If you change units (distance, speed, pace) or tones/vibes during an activity, Run Power will not pick up the changes until you start a new activity.

--

T2 watches: Vivoactive 3, VA3M, VAHR, Approach S60, 645 (not music)
    T3 watches: 935, Fenix 5, Fenix 5S, 735XT
  • alextran thanks a lot for your help.

I've fixed the problem and uploaded version 7.0.6 to the store.

There was a very subtle bug which caused a crash with RE when Power is equal to 0.

confirmed everything is working properly!

also, is last lap, ..., power/RE/pace/etc the same as last lap, average, power?
  • alextran thanks for the confirmation.

Yes, (Last) Lap, ..., X just automatically picks the "right thing", depending on the metric. Because in plain English, most people will say "Lap Pace" or "Lap Power", and not "Lap Average Pace" or "Lap Average Power", even if that's what they really meant.

For example:
    (Last) Lap, ..., RE, is (Last) Lap Average RE.

But:
    (Last) Lap, ... Time is (Last) Lap Total Time.

Basically, it figures out what you meant in "plain English" and translates it to either (Last) Lap Average or (Last) Lap Total where appropriate.

In other words, if a metric X can be averaged (most metrics), then picking Lap ... X will give you the lap average. If a metric Y cannot be averaged (e.g. Time, Distance), then picking Lap .... Y will give you Lap Total Y.

IOW, when you say "Lap Pace", you really mean "Lap Average Pace", and Run Power knows that. When you say "Lap Time", you mean "Lap Total Time" (and not Lap Average Time), and Run Power knows that too.

The only grey area is elevation, which I have defined as not able to be averaged, although you can argue it could be....
  • FlowState, first thanks for the great app!

For some reason it is broken on my FR 935. It looks like it happened in one of latest releases, because I used the data field last week.
    When I start it, I get IQ logo with an exclamation mark.
    If I reinstall it, it works, but if I go to settings on my phone and save them (without changing anything), the field stops working again.

Here is the log from CIQ_LOG.YML:

---
    Error: Unhandled Exception
    Time: 2019-01-07T20:57:36Z
    Part-Number: xxx
    Firmware-Version: '12.10'
    Language-Code: eng
    ConnectIQ-Version: 3.0.7
    Store-Id: a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1
    Store-Version: 83
    Filename: xxx
    Appname: Run Power
    Message: 'UnexpectedTypeException: Expected Number/Float/Boolean/Long/Double, given null'
    Stack:
    - pc: 0x100009cc
    - pc: 0x100012c2
    ---
    Error: Unhandled Exception
    Time: 2019-01-07T20:58:16Z
    Part-Number: xxx
    Firmware-Version: '12.10'
    Language-Code: eng
    ConnectIQ-Version: 3.0.7
    Store-Id: a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1
    Store-Version: 83
    Filename:xxx
    Appname: Run Power
    Message: 'UnexpectedTypeException: Expected Number/Float/Boolean/Long/Double, given null'
    Stack:
    - pc: 0x10000bb3
    - pc: 0x100012c2
  • genarius thanks a lot for the bug report and sorry for the inconvenience. Sorry, I removed the theme color config from 935 and similar devices to make room for HR/power colors, and forgot to test a certain scenario. As always, testing is something I need to work on.

I have updated the store with a fixed version. Please note that in the future, it isn't necessary to redact the Part-Number from the YML file. That is just a generic part number which identifies your exact model (there's more than one 935, for Asia vs. rest of the world), and allows devs to make use of the other information. There's no information which identifies you or your watch in that file, except possibly for the other apps that you are using, if you leave that in.

Thanks!

---
    Update 8.1
    Fix crash for T2/T3 watches (e.g. VA3, 935), on new install or changing settings.
  • Hey everyone, this is just an idea I am floating, so please don't take it as concrete indications of future plans.

Right now I'm happy with the feature set for Run Power for the top tier devices like 645M and Fenix 5 Plus. However, I wish I could bring more features to those of us who have older / less expensive watches. I don't even own a watch that supports all of Run Power's features....

How would people feel if I moved the settings for lower-tier watches such as 935, 645 and 235 to a web app?

It could mean 935 and 645 could have: recording, cadence colors, and colors for more than 5 zones. (Again, no promises). For 235 at least I could try to put in some sort of alerts (tones + vibes if not visual), if not recording as well.

The issue is that Garmin settings take up a lot of space in the app which could be used to bring you guys great features.

Please vote / reply to the following linked poll topic if you have an opinion. Thanks! There's also more information in the same topic:
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/deve...-more-features
  • genarius Please note that in the future, it isn't necessary to redact the Part-Number from the YML file. That is just a generic part number which identifies your exact model (there's more than one 935, for Asia vs. rest of the world), and allows devs to make use of the other information. There's no information which identifies you or your watch in that file, except possibly for the other apps that you are using, if you leave that in.

Thanks for fixing, you are faster then any professional user support! :)