Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• alextran alright I just changed the stars to T1 through T5. For various boring reasons, I think that's the scheme I'll stick with for now.
  • For those who haven't looked at the store page or first post recently, I've updated the "feature/device tier list" as follows. No substantial changes, just easier to look at and hopefully a clearer explanation.

In this thread I'll try to list the devices in full anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

---

Feature/Device Tiers: [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]T5[/TD]
    [TD]Fenix 5X / 5 Plus / 5S Plus / 5X Plus, D2 Charlie/Delta, Descent MK1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]T4[/TD]
    [TD]645M[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]T3[/TD]
    [TD]735XT, 935, Fenix 5, Fenix 5S[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]T2[/TD]
    [TD]645, VA3/3M/HR, Approach S60[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]T1[/TD]
    [TD]Fenix 3, 920XT, D2 Bravo[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]T0[/TD]
    [TD]230, 235, 630, Vivoactive[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Unless otherwise noted, devices on higher tiers also support all features from lower tiers. e.g. Fenix 5 Plus supports everything.
  • I've posted a full manual for Run Power here:
    https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be updated at that location.
  • FlowState i just tried using 3s RE on my run and found it crashes the data field? instead of the normal run power preview fields i get before starting a run, i get a CIQ logo with an exclamation point on it. changing 3s RE to total distance made the data field work again. but current and 3s RE displays the CIQ error screen. i've got a 935.
  • alextran, thanks for the bug report. I don't see an immediate crash in the simulator with similar config. How many zones and alerts do you have? Do you have high/low alerts or zone alerts? What other metrics do you have configured?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just tested with 10 zones and 5 alerts without a crash. But 10 zones and 10 alerts produces a crash. Sorry, I'll have to see if I can reduce the memory usage somehow.

I have the following metrics:
    Power, NP, Timer, Distance, 3s RE and RE

However, I don't see a crash until after I start the timer. (Which has to do with the way I alllocate memory for rolling averages like NP.) Is there an update available from the store?

I would still like to know what your config is.
  • alextran Is it possible that your weight is not set in Garmin Connect or on your watch?

To save memory I am not checking that case. I assumed that weight would always exist, but maybe that was incorrect.

I can push an update to the store with a fix for that, but first I want to verify that's the case.
  • alextran, thanks for the bug report. I don't see an immediate crash in the simulator with similar config. How many zones and alerts do you have? Do you have high/low alerts or zone alerts? What other metrics do you have configured?

All settings default with the exception of: 6C layout, FTP 190.

Fields: 3s %FTP, lap average %FTP, lap time, time, lap distance, 3s RE.

And weight is set to 115lbs.
  • alextran, thanks. I tried the same config in both the simulator and my real 935, without a crash.

For background, although I would not like Run Power to crash under any circumstances, the only way it should be able to crash right now is if you have too many alerts/rolling metrics on the T3 watches, due to running out of memory. I've put a quota on the rolling metrics, but not on number of alerts, so there's room for things to go wrong, unfortunately.

Anything else has got to be some kind of bug and/or unforeseen circumstance.

If you have time, could you:
    1) Connect your 935 to PC/Mac with USB
    2) Copy the file /GARMIN/APPS/LOGS/CIQ_LOG.YML

If you could PM or post that file I would appreciate it. There's no personal or watch-specific information in there, except for:
    - The part number of your watch
    - The name / store ID of any other apps that may have crashed recently
  • alextranIf you have time, could you:
    1) Connect your 935 to PC/Mac with USB
    2) Copy the file /GARMIN/APPS/LOGS/CIQ_LOG.YML

PM'd!
  • alextran thanks a lot for your help.

I've fixed the problem and uploaded version 7.0.6 to the store.

There was a very subtle bug which caused a crash with RE when Power is equal to 0.

Since I don't own a Stryd I usually only test:
    - Power not equal to 0 (in the simulator)
    - Power not available (on the real watch), which is not the same as 0

Sorry about that. I'm writing the code in a very sparse way that tries to save as much memory as possible, but this always leaves the possibility for things to go wrong. I'll have to do a better job of testing.