Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• Sorry, this post is a lil off-topic.

--

Stefe I have a favour to ask. Since you have a VA3, would you mind testing my stopwatch widget? I have some users who say that it doesn't work on their VA3, and others who say it works just fine. The problem is that pressing KEY does not work for some people (it's supposed to start the timer).

If you don't mind, the widget is here:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/3d610a3b-5f4b-4e14-8a30-a7dc7bdc72b8

If you are able to see the same problem, then I would like to ask you to load a debug version of app so I would be able to solve the problem once and for all.

Thanks in advance!

Will do. Downloaded app and will report

• I'm gonna do something a little different with updates from now on. Instead of the rapid updates, which sometimes broke things, I'll be collecting user feature requests in a wishlist, which I will keep updated in the second post:
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/deve...92#post1435192

I'll only put things that are feasible in the wishlist. For example, recording for older watches is not feasible, unfortunately.

Right now, I've got:
    - Intensity Factor
    - User-selectable power alert interval

New items will be added to the post linked above, in addition to any ongoing discussion in the thread.
  • Will do. Downloaded app and will report

Unfortunately, it does not work for me. The app works ok with the va3 button, but the widget just not start on a single or double tap.

Let me know. Should i use another thread from now on?
  • Update 6.9

All devices: Add Running Efficiency metric, as described above.

Speed in m/s / (Power / Weight in kg))

Note that weight comes from your Garmin device settings / Garmin Connect user profile.

woot! thanks for adding this. one note, it's listed in the app as "running efficiency" which is not the proper term. it should be "running effectiveness."

from dr. andrew coggan (who i believe helped develop the metric for use in WKO4) ...

Note that running effectiveness is not the same as running economy or running efficiency. The former is the ratio of metabolic cost, i.e., VO2 or sometimes metabolic power, which accounts for small differences in energy yield per unit of O2 consumed, to running speed. The latter is the ratio of external mechanical power output to metabolic power production.
  • alextran alright I fixed the name and uploaded a new version to the store. See, that's what happens with updates that are too rapid :p.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Just got a response from Kun @ Stryd and basically he said they hope the devs would reach for them for support. I know they offered similar help also to other IQ devs before but for some reason they never added additional metrics. Might be the main reason is the memory cost so you might have to evaluate what to add as it seems there is already a fine line what each tier of watches can support.

So anyway if you need help supporting additional metrics I think you can contact [email][email protected][/email] and I think he can help or forward you to right person to offer the information.

Not sure what is the current situation with offering Stryd to devs but if it would help testing etc. might be a good idea to add in the request.
  • Former Member
    Regarding uphill / downhill power. I did another test run, this time focusing on steady pace throughout the run (12k) while really focusing on steady HR. After evaluating the uphill / downhill sections it turned out Stryd was actually more correct than the correction I had applied based on my earlier runs.

As such I don't feel like there is a need for power correction at this point. Might be for faster paces as early tests might suggest, but this would need more testing, and more stable conditions (it's winter here right now) to be sure.

What is needed though is means to increase awareness for user to better reach this kind of results. I noticed throughout the run, even though the Stryd is clearly more accurate than Garmin altimeter, it's still suspect to some gradient variation, although at lesser state. This is especially noticeable when running uphill at slow pace where your speed is lower and there is less relative distance to calculate the gradient.

One idea to test, with AppBuilder at this point, is to divide average, or lap average power, to uphill / downhill efforts. And see if this helps to better evaluate the difference in uphill / downhill effort.
  • Former Member
    Here's a screen cap of my last run.community.garmin.com/.../1439070.jpg
  • Couldn't fall asleep <_<, so here's...

Update 7.0.2

(***) Added Intensity Factor metric
    (****) Customize alert frequency, alert limit. The default is 30 seconds and 3 alerts, and you can tweak these values to anything you want, including having unlimited alerts (enter 0 for unlimited).

If you want the old non-stop alerting from the FR230 era, you can probably set an alert frequency of 5 seconds and an alert limit of 0.
    ---
    (***) = Fenix 5, 935, 645 and better
    (****) = 645M, Fenix 5X/5+
  • Couldn't fall asleep <_<, so here's...

Update 7.0.2
    (****) Customize alert frequency, alert limit. The default is 30 seconds and 3 alerts, and you can tweak these values to anything you want, including having unlimited alerts (enter 0 for unlimited).

Awesome job, thank you!
    Happy new year!