Run Power: Data Field

A single run field...with power.

Works with standard power meters, including running pods such as Stryd. [Garmin Running Power not supported.]

Supported devices
- All Garmin Connect IQ watches except Epix

Get Run Power from the app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a054f515-576a-4a28-b8e5-87987ba737e1

Full Manual
Everything you need to know and all the latest info will always be here:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki

Please use this thread for questions, comments and suggestions. I'd love to hear whether this field is useful and how it can be improved!

Features:

• Power Zones
    • All watches support 5 zones
    • Most watches support up to 10 zones
    • Customize zone names
  • Power Alerts
    • Lap Power Alerts
    • Structured Workout Power Alerts (not 735XT / VAHR / Approach S60)
    • Custom Power Alerts (high/low)
    • Zone-based Power Alerts
  • Color-coded Power/HR/Cadence (optional)
  • Custom colors for Power
  • 6 fields
  • Literally 100s of metrics to choose from, especially variations on power (and normalized power)
    • Easily select metrics by choosing phrases from 3 short lists. e.g. "Lap", "Maximum", "Power"
  • Define custom metrics with formula like "Power/HR"
  • Optionally records power to activity FIT file:
    • Graph
    • Lap Average and Maximum
    • Activity Average and Maximum
  • Filters abnormally high power values [above 2000] to get around Garmin firmware bug which messes up your power stats

Feature support varies by device. For more information:
https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/Features

Available Metrics:

Any meaningful combo of:

• Overall [current/total], Lap, Last Lap
  • Average, Minimum, Maximum, 3/10/30 second average, or none of the above
  • The following "base metrics":
    • Time, Distance, Pace, Power, Power Zone, Efficiency Index, Efficiency Factor, Power/HR, Running Effectiveness, Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate
    • Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent
    • HR Zone, HR %Max, HRR%, %FTP
    • Normalized Power, Normalized Power Zone, Intensity Factor

For example, if you're interested in power, you've got:
Current Power, Average Power, Minimum Power, Maximum Power, and 3s/10s/30s Power
Lap / Last Lap: Avg, Min, and Max Power

Full Change History: forums.garmin.com/.../51997

• @flowstate any short term updates planned for the latest series of Garmin wearables - Fenix 7, Epix 2 and Garmin 955a?

• @flowstate any short term updates coming for the latest Garmin wearables? Looking for Fenix 7/Epix 2/FR 955 Thanks

• Hello! Thanks for the app! But I can't figure out how to set up an alert that I've gone out of the zone. For example, if a workout involves 25 minutes in Zone 1, 5 x 1 km laps in Zone 4 after 2 minutes of rest in Zone 1, after 3 laps in Zone 5 after 400 meters of rest, and 5 minutes of cooldown in Zone 1. How do I set up alerts so that I on accelerations, did you know that you had reached the desired zone and did not leave it, and after accelerations, did you know that I was in the rest zone?

• Hello! Thanks for the app! But I can't figure out how to set up an alert that I've gone out of the zone. For example, if a workout involves 25 minutes in Zone 1, 5 x 1 km laps in Zone 4 after 2 minutes of rest in Zone 1, after 3 laps in Zone 5 after 400 meters of rest, and 5 minutes of cooldown in Zone 1. How do I set up alerts so that I on accelerations, did you know that you had reached the desired zone and did not leave it, and after accelerations, did you know that I was in the rest zone?

You need to set up workout-based zone alerts manually, and this feature is only available for "T2" devices and above.

Here's the docs for alert settings:

[https://github.com/flowstatedev/ciq-runpower/wiki/2.-Settings#power-alerts--zones-t2]

Power Alerts — Zones (T2)

Set Power Alerts based on zones.

• Leave blank to use low/high alerts instead.
    • e.g. Use zone 4 for whole activity: 4
    • e.g. Lap 1 → No Alert, Lap 2 → Zone 4: 0, 4

So in your example, the alert setting would be

1, 4, 1, 4, 1, 4, 1, 4, 1, 4, 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 1

The way this works is each number corresponds to a lap or a workout step. You either use a programmed workout on your garmin, or you press the Lap button to take manual laps.

You'll get an "alert" in the sense that the watch will beep and Run Power's data page will change to something that looks like a full-screen alert, but note that it's not a native Garmin alert (meaning that you can't see it when you're on other pages).

Sorry it's not super intuitive. At the time run power was created, CIQ apps didn't have access to native workout details. Even to today, you need a fairly new watch for CIQ to access workout details, and an even newer watch to have a run workout with power (if I'm not mistaken - please correct me if I'm wrong) And if your watch supports run workouts with power, it's probably more convenient to use the built-in functionality (especially now that the beta firmware for these watches allows you to select your power source, including external sensors like Styrd.)

• thanks for the answer. I have a Forerunner 945. I wanted to clarify if for a long run I set 1 to control the first zone, will the alerts stop after the auto lap of the watch itself (I set it to 1 km)? And what about auto lap and set training steps?

• thanks for the answer. I have a Forerunner 945. I wanted to clarify if for a long run I set 1 to control the first zone, will the alerts stop after the auto lap of the watch itself (I set it to 1 km)? And what about auto lap and set training steps?

If you set 1 value, it uses it for the whole run (all laps). If you want to set a value for only first lap, set two values instead (the 2nd value can be set to "0", which means no alert)

And what about auto lap and set training steps?

The start of a manual lap, auto lap, workout training step, and multisport leg should all be treated as a "new lap" for the purposes of run power alerts. So I would recommend disabling auto lap if you need to use Run Power alerts with a workout.

Sorry, I know all of this isn't great. There's a lot of limitations here due to various reasons.

• I got it, thanks! It turns out that for complex workouts, you should use the Stryd Power App. But if I'm planning a long workout with one target zone, I can either turn off Auto Lap and put a single number with the zone number. Or leave the auto Lap, but put the number of numbers of the target zone according to the number of sections.

• Hi FlowState,

This is really a great app with great instructions. Impressive, thank you for that tool!
    But I also have a question; is there a way to display the power also with only one screen in the style of a speedometer as it is also displayed with the pulse in the photo below?
    l‘m using the Fenix 5X Plus. 
    I would be very happy to get an answer.

Best regards
    Stan Ley

• Stan, since you got no answer for 6 months let me hijack you and and make you land at https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/597586ff-128f-46ca-a896-1679f8c10d1a

Choose power than and you will get the speedometer style with power, although not exactly with the same colouring.

Or look for the simplified version, called 80/20 power zones.

But I suggest you using the former, because you can opt for a dual screen including pace+hr, power+hr, or power+pace.

• Which power sensors would this work with?. Im thinking about a stryd but i was wondering if it would work with a garmin run dynamics or coros pod 2 because they are less expensive?