Data Field: GRun

Forum for GRun Data Field:
GRun: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/bf56e088-aefe-4fb4-8f16-b2e136b996a9
GRun More: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/63cba559-b7a2-446a-afa1-51a4680f88e1

Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
Feel free to ask and remember the code is open source, so feel also free to contribute.
https://github.com/gcormier9/GRun
  • Hi Jonescx,

I do not fully understand. Are you saying you configured "Lap Distance" to 1000, but are running 200 meters lap?

Thanks,

GCorm

• Hi GCorm,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I config the "Lap Distance" to 1000 and running at 200 meters field for 50 laps (=10KM).

I setup the watch as manual lap and press the lap button when I finish one loop.

The watch will show the lap time for example 60 secs then I know if I keep in the target speed.

It's because the GPS has some distortion in this kind of small loop field.

And I need to know the correct seconds I spent in each lap to control the accurate speed.

Usually it shows around 10.5K when I finished 50 laps.

In this case, the "distance" field will be reset to 1.0km when I press the lap button everytime.

I didn't see the distance in the first 5 laps. I guess it keeps accumulating because the distance is less than 1.0km.

After about 10 loops, I wanted to check the total distance and found it shows 1.x km. I knew something wrong.

Although the GPS total distance is not accurate but I can use it to know roughly how many loops I finished.

Sometimes I forgot or missed to press the lap button, I cannot use the lap count to calculate the total distance.

Then I check the GPS total distance and total time to know how many loops I did.
    Most people will do the similar trick in a 400m standard field for speed workout running. They will get the same problem.

How about the idea to turn on/off the lap calibration? Keep the "Lap Distance" as 1000 for ETA lap usage and there is an option to enable/disable calibrate function when lap button pressed.

Thanks,

Jones

• Every time you press the lap button, the distance is rounded to the nearest lap distance. So if you press the lap button and the distance is above 500 meters, the distance is rounded to 1000 meters. If it's lower than 500 meters, the distance is round to 0. In your case, you seems to press lap button every 200 meters, which will set the distance to 0 every time. I believe what you are looking for is to set the lap distance to 200, so every time you make a loop, the distance will be round tho the closest 200m value. For example, if you have done 7 loops (1400 meters) and the watch has calculated 1430 meters, pressing the lap button will reset the distance to 1400 meters.

• Thanks for your explanation and I understand I can set the Lap distance as 200m to solve the problem. Sometimes I will go to 400m field and sometimes I run on the road. It not easy to change the lap distance for every case and it needs a PC or App to do the lap distance change. So I prefer to keep the lap distance at 1000m for common usage.

• Got it! I am a bit limited with memory on vivoactive3, but I'll see what I can do to add the "uncorrected distance" field. 

• Thanks a lot for your effort. Slight smile

• Today I found another thing I don't understand. The 4A (bottom left) field is ETA 5K. It showed 27:xx in the first 5K that's correct and then it showed 55:xx when I was running around 8K. I thought it shows the 5K+5K estimate time, it's also kind of reasonable. However it showed 2 hours after I ran over 10K and I was confused. If you need other information, I can collect it when I run next time. Cheers~

BTW, I stopped to take a picture that's why the pace and cadence are zeros.

• ETA auto increments, meaning once you reach 5K, it automatically changes to "ETA 10K", then "ETA Half Marathon" and finally "ETA Marathon". 

• I got it. Now I know why it shows 2 hours. It shows half marathon but not 15K. Thanks.

• BTW, what will the ETA field happen when the total distance is over a Marathon? Also is there an option to disable ETA auto increment, it means it keeps showing the ETA 5K? Thanks.