Data Field: GRun

Forum for GRun Data Field:
GRun: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/bf56e088-aefe-4fb4-8f16-b2e136b996a9
GRun More: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/63cba559-b7a2-446a-afa1-51a4680f88e1

Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
Feel free to ask and remember the code is open source, so feel also free to contribute.
https://github.com/gcormier9/GRun
  • Hello GCorm, wow this is superb! Just please make sure to use the same colours for HR zones as Garmin does, i.e. gray = zone 1 or bellow (possibly no zone could be black as well), light blue = zone 2, green = zone 3, orange = zone 4, red = zone 5. I am not sure from your picture - HR 148 would hardly be Zone 5 for anybody, but maybe it was just sample ;)

This would make your datafield the best on earth datafield for Garmin. Thank you very much for the datafield and ongoing support!

BTW: I have Fenix 6X Pro.

• Hi ,

I have been able to added HR Zone for the Forerunner 645. It is implemented in version 1.25

• , I just released version 1.25 with support to background color.

• Hi ,

Good news! Now we have to wait for the moment to run up the mountain and test GRun on the ground.
    Thank you for implementing the heart rate zone.

• Hello GCorm! Thank you for the release! I could not wait yesterday and I went for a bike test ride immediately. The background colour for HR on combined row 5, 6 works flawlessly and it looks very nice! It is exactly what I had in mind! I also liked that now my average speed stays black.

I do not want to bother you, but if you would want to do some additional finetuning, here are my ideas:

1. the blue colour for zone 2 is too light, in fact it is cyan. It makes it difficult to read the white digits of HR values - could you please do it a bit more dark/saturated?

2. brown colour for zone 4 is difficult to differentiate from red for zone 5. I would suggest for zone 4 you would use saturated orange instead of brown, which would also make digits more readable (same as the above point)

3. when I upgraded the version, the app in the watch did not start. I had to go to seetings in Garmin connect and save the settings, then it was OK. This is not a big deal for me - I figured out quickly / just to let you know (maybe it is some Garmin issue - due to updated settings).

FYI: I have sapphire glass, which means a bit less contrast for the display and it was very sunny yesterday.

Thanks a lot!

• Hi ,

This is really good feedback. I believe colors might displayed differently on the different devices. I'll see if I can add an option to override the default colors, so people can use whatever they'd like...

• Hello again GCorm! I did not know you use the default Garmin colours for zones of HR. If this is the case, I would suggest you do not do colour customization in the settings - this would be too complicated. And I think it makes no sense to set HR zone colours too differently than Garmin did ;) I think the better solution would be to try to have HR value foreground colour black for HR zones 1 - 5 (background grey, cyan, green, orange, red) but white for zone 0 (no zone - black background). I am not sure how it would work for red, which is quite dark, but for other colours the black foreground would work better than white. But I think it would work even for red. I think you do not have to do this in settings, you could put it fixed.

Thanks a lot, I will send some donation, your datafield is the greatest!

• Thanks ,

I like the idea of chaning the foreground color. I'm thinking I can use white foreground color when the default background is black (for people running at night) and black foreground color when the default background is white. So, HR foreground color will either be black or white depending on the default background color defined on the watch.... I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome.

• Hello GCorm! I am not sure what you mean by default background defined in the watch. I think it could be fixed - if the background of the field is black, the foreground is white. If the background of the field is grey, cyan, green, orange or red - than the foreground is black. It needs to switch dynamically, because in zone 0 the background is black so the foreground needs to be white. For zones 1-5, background changes colours and the foreground would be always black. You do not need any settings, because this variant will for sure be more readable and even nicer than the always-white foreground.

Second thing, I did a run today so I had little bit more time to focus on the watches and I noticed there is a small bug - zone 1 should show grey background, but it shows black (same as zone 0). Could you please fix it? (it is not a big deal, because zone 1 is not used so often, but if you also would change the foreground color to black for zone 1, it would look nice - white foreground means you are not in any zone, black foreground - you are in zone 1 - 5).

Thanks a lot in advance!

• Hi ,

I just released version 1.26. I followed your suggestion to use black foreground, except for red background, which still use a white foreground. After testing it, I found it was really difficult to read black on red. I've also added Zone 1 for HR. When I initially developped this feature, I though Zone 1 was much important so I skipped it. However, adding it wasn't much difficult, so here it is now!

Hope you'll like it!