Watchface: Glance

NEW: Just published a new app - EASY Round. Give it a try!

apps.garmin.com/.../9a619d99-3e5b-4eec-81e7-006655d797cc

EASY Round

GLANCE WATCH FACE app won THE BEST NEW WATCH FACE APP OF 2022 ! At the Developers conference Garmin announced nominees and winners for the best apps in different categories. Glance Watch Face was nominated and won in the best new watch face category Slight smile! Garmin didn't post the video from the conference yet, but it was already reported by other websites: https://the5krunner.com/2022/10/12/garmin-app-watchface-of-the-year-2022-ciq-winners-and-nominees-announced/

The idea for this app is simple:
- Use only large fonts, so that all data are visible at a glance (hence the name of the app: Glance   )
- Put as much data on the screen as possible, without sacrificing font size above
- Make all data fields customizeable to your needs
- Make colors customizeable as much as possible, so users can create their own design

The "Glance Watch Face" app is 100% FREE - no hidden restrictions, nagging, or expiration:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/07ae ... 07e8035fae

There is also a mostly free app - BIG EASY: apps.garmin.com/.../86ec352b-da01-4806-8972-770c6d32a5e8

There are also two paid versions of this app - "Glance Pro":

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/ac4be3ce-f0f3-4c49-be01-5fa52614ab2b

and "Glance Dual Screen":

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/5c0fe72b-f045-4366-a878-d3e67c600868

Paid versions are identical to the free version (so no worries, FREE doesn't mean bad!), but have a lot of extra features features:

• Open Weather Map support
  • Setting for TIME font weight
  • New way to use shared color themes
  • Support for many new metrics (like Body Battery, Stress Level, and lots more)
  • Extra progress bars and Graphs (in Dual Screen only)
  • Two separate data screens (in Dual Screen only) 
  • A lot more - see apps description for the full list
  • You have an opportunity (and a small incentive) to support the development Slight smile

Unique feature of the Glance apps - you can save your own Color Themes and quicly switch between them righ on the watch.

NEW: Now you can SHARE your Color Theme! You can also quickly apply Color Themes shared with you. Here is a full description of how it all works: https://www.mobiledriveway.com/glance.html#color

Here is the current Color Themes Gallery: https://www.mobiledriveway.com/glance_gallery.html

Color themes are compatible between "Glance" and "Glance Pro" (except for "inactive status icons color", which became obsolete in "Pro").

I'd love to see all color combinations you came up with. Please post your themes in the Reviews and I'll add them to the gallery!

Questions and suggestions are welcome!

• To be honest, I also noticed a relevant battery drain increase since your latest update on the BIG. I noticed that you changed the rendering of the move bar. I got the update of both Glance and Big via Garmin Connect (computer app). Nevertheless I use only the Big, and I noticed a battery consumption increase of around 0.20% each hour, and 5.9% on a daily basis, except the sleep time where the watch is in power saving mode ( sleep mode). Sleep mode for me is from 23:00 till 6:00.

• To be honest, I also noticed a relevant battery drain increase since your latest update on the BIG.

I think that observations like this are most likely erroneous. Users often inclined to think that app updates causing something to happen - like Weather stops working, or more battery drain. Fact is, most updates have nothing to do with it. Main reason I did the last update, is to add a few recently released watches (the app stays exactly the same when you just add a watch). The code changes I made were purely cosmetic and wouldn't result in any extra battery usage. My 2 watches (Epix 2 and Fenix 7) did not start to use any more battery than before.

Even though it is impossible to say exactly what is happening with your watch, but it could be coincidentally related to the recent Garmin firmware updates. My watches recently received an update that was said to be fixing some battery issues introduced in the previous update Slight smile. I didn't notice any significant changes myself, but it could be based on the watch setting or something else.

Something similar could be happening to your watch too. It is always a good idea to at least reboot the watch after it receives a firmware update. I can't promise that it will fix your issue, but it might.

• Former Member
    Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to MobileDriveway

FYI, HR always ON setting is not applicable to watches with AMOLED screen (like Venu 2s). It is impossible to update AMOLED screen every second when the watch is in a AOD low power mode (that is why you don't see seconds there either). This is for MIP displays that can update a small portion of the screen every second.

So, enabling HR always ON setting on Venu 2 will have no effect - visual or battery.

I see. So the setting has no effect, I can turn it OFF on the Venu 2s. The update rate is quick enough for me (when not in low power mode, which I assume is for the "always on" setting, which I don't use)

• Non mi si aggiorna più con  il meteo! Come mai!

• Did you read the link the developer posted?

• Non mi si aggiorna più con  il meteo! Come mai!

You posted the same question 3 times. Not only your question is answered in the FAQ, but I also already replied to you in the forum here.

• Several Questions:

What do the diagonal lines over the hours portion of the time mean?

On https://www.mobiledriveway.com/glance.html#bars you mention seven different arc bars (battery, step goal, floor goal, active minutes, Sun Position, Moon Phase, Move).... but on the illustration at the top of the page only shows a "top arc bar.   Is it that the top arc bar can be programmed to show one (and only one) of the seven, and the (unlabeled) bottom arc bar can be programmed to be another one (and only one) of the seven?   or can multiple arcs be shown, or multiple metrics on one arc (for example, battery on left half of upper arc, and moon phase on the right half of the upper arc....

Is there any way to put an icon next to the arcs, to help me remember what it stands for (battery step goal, etc.?

• Several Questions:

It will be easier if you install and test the app (it is free to do so) - all your questions will be answered there.

• I've had the app installed for quite some time.... at least 6 months.     I like it, but I never was able to find an explicit answer to those three questions. I can't see any way to SEARCH just this thread of questions and answers related to JUST your excellent watchface, nor do your explanations at https://www.mobiledriveway.com/glance.html cover my questions.

My GUESSES are that

1) the hash marks across the hour of the time mean it's PM...though I don't really see the point of it since I use 24 hour military format time,   I can see in Garmin Express a way to turn Hour Stripe on and off, but there is no statement of their purpose or what they signify..   Can you at least answer that?

And,
    2) since I don't see any options for icons, I'm GUESSING that  there is no way to put any kind of graphic next to the top arc bar or the bottom arc bar to indicate what is being measured.   But maybe I'm missing something....?

However, in light of your previous comment, I did simulate reinstalling the app, and you are correct in that when I went back into Garmin Express as if I were setting up your app for the first time I can see that the seven "arc bar function" (battery percent, step goal, etc) are selectable in a pull-down list for the top arc bar and the bottom arc bar, and only one is selectable for each, so that answers my second query with regards to the arc bars..

• It may also be a weird partial calculation of the widget I use, due to particular sampling of the values detected between 2 subsequent readings. Globally, the battery life predictions of the watch software and of the widget as well, seem to converge and agree more or less on the same target time limit, as it should be. Sadly I can do these measurements only after several samplings and readings over many days after the last charge. But generally you are right: maybe the old values I saw were a bit wrong because of updates issues, it's not said that those values were right only because they were lower. Maybe the values I get now are simply the right ones. Do you think that installed apps, even if not used but simply kept in memory (like old watch faces), may affect the battery life? Is it possible that uninstalling them will save a bit of power?