HMs DIY #1-6

Store Link

Because I want to keep this datafield and the app free for use I would be very grateful about a small donation to PayPal

A detailed description of how to use it can be found here: 

HMs_DIY_GUIDANCE.pdf
HMs_DIY_ANLEITUNG.pdf

Thanks very much to mcinner1 for putting so much time into this documentation!

Designer download

You can contribute on my github page.
You can upload your layout so others can use it as well.
Also any changes to the fonts.txt can be updated there as well.

Garmin_HMsDIY

=======================================================================
RELEASE NOTES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* switched to new SDK 4.2.4
* added devices: FR265, FR265S, FR965, GPSMAP 67/67i, Marq (Gen 2), Marq (Gen 2) Aviator, EDGE 540, EDGE 840, Instinct 2x Solar
* added two new font types GLANCE, GLANCENR (only available if device supports it!)
* switched to new SDK 4.1.5
* added devices: Edge Explore 2, Venu Sq 2, Venu Sq 2 Music Edition
* switched to new SDK 4.1.3
* added devices: Instinct 2S / Solar / Dual Power, D2 Air X10, D2 Mach 1, Descent G1 / G1 Solar,
Edge 1040 / 1040 Solar, Forerunner 255, Forerunner 255 Music, Forerunner 255s, Forerunner 255s Music, Forerunner 955 / Solar, Instinct 2 / Solar / Dual Power / dezl Edition
* fixed crash when windspeed was not available from device
* switched to new SDK 4.0.9
* added devices: D2 Air, Descent MK2/MK2i, Descent Mk2S, Enduro, epix Gen2, Fenix 7, Fenix 7S, Fenix 7X, Forerunner 55, Forerunner 945 LTE, Venu2, Venu2 Plus,
Venus 2S, Venu Sq, Venu Sq Music,

for full releasenotes see: releasenotes.txt

• I was really pleased to have found this "App" and what it is capable of doing and loved mastering it, but sadly the main thing I would have liked it to have done was give me "Name of next Coursepoint".  There is "Name of Next", but sadly that just gives the name of every junction and turn and road and lots of other thing that is irrelevant but does not include coursepoints. Also, there is "Name of Destination", but once again that is pointless as I know where I am going to.

The reason I would like "Name of Next Coursepoint" is because I do a lot of long-distance endurance events and it is handy to know what the next one is or it may be something that I have entered into the route as a Checkpoint as a reminder, ie maybe a shop, or a hazard etc. But, end of the day, I can toggle to the GArmin Coursepoint page to get the info but it would have been nice on my main datapage.

Aside from that, which may be of interest to users of the app and may improve on it, one of the ideas that I came up with to create and basically it was just a for a bit of fun, was some rectangular data fields for heart rate, cadence and speed, but instead of having Numerics in them, just coloured rectangles. These coloured rectangles would change colour based on various heart rates, RPM or speed. It is a bit similar to what people do now, but these colour changing zones are based on my own fitness performance of how I ride.

These figures I would extract from past rides and see what I was doing at a particular point of a ride, ie cruising, climbing a moderate hill, or climbing a very steep hill 20%+.

So, what would happen would be, if I was cruising along and I looked at the data fields and saw "3 Greens" I knew that I was in the zone for heart rate, cadence and speed. But, if there was a "Red or Yellow or other colour" amongst them, then I knew there was something amiss, ie, my speed may be green, my heart rate is green, but the cadence is yellow or red, it means that my RPM is too fast, too low a gear or too slow, pushing a big gear, which means a quick gear change is in order to get into the "green". My speed may be green, but the other two fields could be yellow or red, that means I am either spinning too fast or pushing too high a gear so once again, it's a gear change. My speed may be yellow (slow), cadence green, heartrate green, that could mean I am pushing a very low gear at my normal cadence but riding slow, this usually happens after a climb and forgot to change up with my gears.

For the extremely steep hills, I have got the info from past rides where I have had to bail out and walk and set it so that just before that point, the coloured rectangles start flashing, cadence too low about 25 rpm, speed too low about 3 mph, heart rate about 190 bpm, that is a warning that I am close to cracking point so if I can, ease off pedalling if possible to get the heartrate down. If they go back to a solid red, I may be able to keep going.

It sounds complicated, but I was amazed at how good it was actually and found it far better than looking at "Numerics" and suddenly realised that it is not a gimmick and the system actually works extremely well. A quick glance and you have the info, no figures to take in etc. "3 greens and it's all systems go", "3 flashing reds, you could end up dead" The coloured rectangles though have to be modelled on how you ride, ie not heart rate zones, changing colour for speed every 5 mph etc, but what you like to cruise at and climb etc, your comfort endurance zones and your burn out zones

I did try doing it with coloured figures that change colour, but they do not stand out very well. Even black figures over the coloured rectangles also are not very good. I actually have 3 data fields above the coloured rectangles giving the numerical info, but I don't look at them anymore, no need too. The coloured rectangle system works really well, far beyond what I expected.

Sadly, it is at a prototype stage, and after using it for a few trials and one long distant event where it was its worth its weight in gold at keeping me in my comfort zones and keeping a steady pace without burning out, I sadly got covid and suffering the long term affects for past two months, so development has not progressed. Maybe bars next? (Edit, in fact I turned down the use of bars etc, they take up too much space when A small rectangle will do the same job)

I did take some screenshots, but sadly I cannot add them as the Garmin forum will not give me the upload option to add them, a bug that I reported a long time ago.

Hopefully, others may get inspirational ideas from it.

• Hi

Thanks for detailed insides of your configuration.

As for "Name of Next Coursepoint": I cannot add it, because it is not provided by the SDK! Only values which the SDK provides can be displayed.

regards

Erich

• What I did to get distance to next coarse point was to create a screen that had two small Garmin data fields and two large data fields which I populated with HM DIY.  it is not Ideal but comes close to giving me what want.  If you remember that you do not need to use DIY to fill the whole screen, there are options of having both Garmin an DIY fields.

• It is not a case of wanting "Distance to course point" that I want, HM DIY has that in the SDK and I have a data field set up for it so it is not an issue. "Distance to next course point" is also readily available in Garmin data fields as well so it's not just unique to HM DIY.

It's a case of wanting "Name of next coursepoint" in HM DIY which the SDK does not have.

• Thanks for the reply, it was as I feared. But, I have since had a thought that even Garmin themselves do not have a data field for  "Name of Next Coursepoint" and just having been looking in the "1040" forum, and reading it briefly someone has queried similar that they too want it so that seems to confirm that it does not exist in Garmin Edges and also their dislike like me of "Name of Next" which is a pointless datafield.

Maybe one day

Regards
    leginswal

• I don't know if I understand you well, but I can confirm that WPT NEXT data field can now be populated with custom course point names.

• Unless it is well hidden away somewhere,  "WPT NEXT" is not in HM DIY and is not even available on a Edge 530 and presumably as well, the 830 or 1030. 

I have a feeling that is only available on the newer 1040 and some of the Garmin watches at the moment. Maybe it might be released in a future SDK.

So that is not a solution to the issue.

• Hello;
    I am going to install some tire pressure sensors on my bike. Specifically the sram tyrewiz.
    Do we have that option? I can not find it. Thank you

Sram Tyrewiz
  • No, its not possible, value is not available in the SDK.

• I have known this app from a Spanish forum and I find it amazing,

I have not built a layout yet, but I have read the whole manual before asking and my first doubts are the following:

I see that initially the simulator screen is black..., is the first step to build a white rectangle with the exact dimensions of the screen?

How to delete a loaded design?