HMs DIY #1-6

Store Link

Because I want to keep this datafield and the app free for use I would be very grateful about a small donation to PayPal

A detailed description of how to use it can be found here: 

HMs_DIY_GUIDANCE.pdf
HMs_DIY_ANLEITUNG.pdf

Thanks very much to mcinner1 for putting so much time into this documentation!

Designer download

You can contribute on my github page.
You can upload your layout so others can use it as well.
Also any changes to the fonts.txt can be updated there as well.

Garmin_HMsDIY

=======================================================================
RELEASE NOTES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* switched to new SDK 7.2.1
* added devices: Approach S7 42mm, Descent Mk3 43mm /Mk3i 43mm, Descent Mk3i 51mm, Edge 1050, epix Pro Gen2 42mm, epix Pro Gen2 47mm / quatix 7 pro, epix Pro Gen2 51mm / D2 mach 1 pro / tactix 7
Fenix 7 Pro, Fenix 7 Pro Solar, Fenix 7S Pro, Fenix 7X Pro, Fenix 7xPro Solar, Forerunner 165, Forerunner 165M, Venu 3, Venu 3S, Vivoactive 5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* switched to new SDK 4.2.4
* added devices: FR265, FR265S, FR965, GPSMAP 67/67i, Marq (Gen 2), Marq (Gen 2) Aviator, EDGE 540, EDGE 840, Instinct 2x Solar
* added two new font types GLANCE, GLANCENR (only available if device supports it!)

for full releasenotes see: releasenotes.txt

• mcinner1 :

Hi.Sometimes there is a very minimal delay every 9-10 sec jumps 1 sec further.

• new version 1.3.1 is out!

• I've just tested Gear-Value on my trainer Tacx-NEO which equals a wheel-circumfence of 210 cm and has an old XTR-cassette with 10 gears.

In principle, HM's Gear-Value works well.
      I just have a few comments:

-the value should be available at all times - independent of timer.time. Currently, it is only calculated when the timer is running.

-in my test all gears are displayed correctly, except the last gear. Gear #10 with the smallest rear sprocket is not displayed - stays at #9. This could also be due to me, because my NEO has no rear wheel and the equivalent wheel circumference was determined empirically. (Outside there is unfortunately snow...). Nevertheless, I would like to ask HM to check the formula to see if anything is noticeable here.

-It would be easier for the users if they could enter the actual number of teeth of the rear sprockets and the program calculates the intermediate values.

But all in all - again an excellent job! Thanks a lot!

What I use for testing:

real sprockets:
      Front 32
      Rear: 11  13  15  17  19  21  24  28  21  36

Input-text:  
      210;32;12;14;16;18;20;23;26;30;34;41

EDIT:
      I will do another test with a faked wheel-circumfence of 230 cm to find out if it's me or the formula...

• Just did the test.

I had to go the other way around with the fake-circumfence: 160 cm I used, and so real gear 7 showed #9 and shifting to real gear 8, 9, 10 did no change - stayed at #9.

In "real life" the gear with the smallest sproket is not of interest here - but just to mention it...

• new version 1.3.2 is out!

• I've finally been able to do some testing on the new features I requested. Sorry about the delay especially since I requested some of them. Firstly Thanks for implementing these & the subsequent work you have done

Max Cadence seems to be working spot on. In response to there isn't much other than a bit of geekery that I keep an eye on Max Cadence. Sometimes I do high Cadence reps so it's of interest what the Cadence max's out at as It's just another indicator of my current condition. With me up to a point; having good leg speed seems to correlate with pretty good condition

The NP & Lap NP seem to work in the field & are usually within 1 watt of the native Garmin value. The only thing I find here is that it can take a while for the DIY values to catch-up with the native Garmin values maybe some 10-15 minutes or more. So assuming the Garmin value is correct I would probably use that field if I was doing any sessions with intervals less than 15 min.

I've only managed some cursory testing of the Lap NP as I've been following workouts on my last couple of rides & whereas workout steps trigger laps in the Garmin itself they don't seem to trigger laps in CIQ fields & if I press the lap button it ends the current workout step.

Regarding Power measurement on the DIY field. It works fine when I'm connected to my PowerTap, However if I'm using my Tacx Neo & using power from that I don't get any Power readings. whereas the native Garmin fields display the Power OK. Speed & Cadence from the Neo display just fine on DIY. This isn't unique to the DIY field as I have other CIQ apps that also display power & these don't display anything when I'm using my Neo either. I also disabled (though didn't delete) my PowerTap sensor as a test but that didn't change anything

There's also something a bit strange going on with the GPS accuracy indication in the DIY field. I can't quite explain it & It may be something to do with the recent Edge 1030 f/w 9.10 or totally unrelated. Though I reckon it is more than likely a Garmin issue. What I am seeing is that even when the GPS is set to off the GPS accuracy field initially shows 0, but if my Edge connects to my Neo trainer the GPS accuracy displays 1 my GPS status dynamic colour which is set to display as Red when <= 1 ie Off or no signal is displaying as Green, which as a dynamic s set as >= 10. Quite bizarre as to why a trainer should have this effect!

• I have a Tacx NEO, too - first edition, from some years ago.

I have the NEO connected as sensors to my Edge 1030:
      -combined speed/cadence sensor
      -power sensor
      and I get correct readings of all 3 values! All via ANT+ 
      Maybe check if power is connected as BLE on yours!
      On my Edge there is another power-sensor enabled: Stages (ANT+) which is mounted on my bio-MTB.
      No problem to connect to NEO-power and if I ride with my Scarp-Sonic to the Stages-sensor - automatically.

I can confirm the strange behaviour of GPS. Even if disabled it shows 1 when the NEO was found and the sensors start delivering values at an activity. Must be a Garmin issue.

OT: There are 2 other strange things:
      -Autopause ("when stopped") doesn't work if no GPS signal is available. That's new!
      -When I turn on my NEO an Edge message appears: "trainer found! Connect?" No! I don't want connect my NEO as FE-C!

But in over 10 years of Edge, I've been used to a lot of things!  Slight smile

EDIT:
      Wait!
       :
      HM created a new value "GPS high acc indicator".
      Is it possible that this interferes with the real GPS-accuracy?

• Hi

The new value the GPS accuracy indicator only checks for the current speed, it does not check the gps accuracy value which comes from the SDK. When I added the value I didn't think of bt sensors which send the correct speed (0 km/h) right away.

Maybe I should check first if GPS has highest accuracy and then check for speed getting under 5km/h, this would be more plausible I think.

• Have you found any solution for better battery use on Forerunner 945? Thanks.

• Just tested Gears and Pausetime - all works now as it is supposed to.
      (After finishing a pause and continuing the activity, the pausetime does a contdown back to 00:00 - in big steps. Looks funny and is no problem for me!)

For all who are interested in using Gear-display:
      It can be used only for bikes with one chainring in front like modern MTBs have.
      A correct value for the current gear only is shown if you pedal force-locked like you do when climbing. If you stop pedalling or pedal freely a false value or zero is shown.
      If you are pedalling below 10 rpm, zero is shown.
      The purpose of this gear-value is to see how many gears can still be shifted when climbing steeply without having to look back.
      When setting this value in the Designertool type into the textfield:
      Circumfence of the wheel in cm;Teeth of front chainring;Number of teeth of the sprockets - from the smallest to the largest