HMs DIY #1-6

Store Link

Because I want to keep this datafield and the app free for use I would be very grateful about a small donation to PayPal

A detailed description of how to use it can be found here: 

HMs_DIY_GUIDANCE.pdf
HMs_DIY_ANLEITUNG.pdf

Thanks very much to mcinner1 for putting so much time into this documentation!

Designer download

You can contribute on my github page.
You can upload your layout so others can use it as well.
Also any changes to the fonts.txt can be updated there as well.

Garmin_HMsDIY

=======================================================================
RELEASE NOTES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* switched to new SDK 7.2.1
* added devices: Approach S7 42mm, Descent Mk3 43mm /Mk3i 43mm, Descent Mk3i 51mm, Edge 1050, epix Pro Gen2 42mm, epix Pro Gen2 47mm / quatix 7 pro, epix Pro Gen2 51mm / D2 mach 1 pro / tactix 7
Fenix 7 Pro, Fenix 7 Pro Solar, Fenix 7S Pro, Fenix 7X Pro, Fenix 7xPro Solar, Forerunner 165, Forerunner 165M, Venu 3, Venu 3S, Vivoactive 5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* switched to new SDK 4.2.4
* added devices: FR265, FR265S, FR965, GPSMAP 67/67i, Marq (Gen 2), Marq (Gen 2) Aviator, EDGE 540, EDGE 840, Instinct 2x Solar
* added two new font types GLANCE, GLANCENR (only available if device supports it!)

for full releasenotes see: releasenotes.txt

• …maybe hundsmiachn is on vacation already… so, I will answer.
    STAMINA is not available in IQ SDK. It‘s not possible to use it for IQ datafields.

• THX for your answer. another question : Is it possible to share our custon data screen as a IQ datafield, so other can use it? something like convert HMs DIY  to IQ APP, in a simple way? I've made several data screens and maybe it can be usefull to others.

• No, that‘s not possible.
    You can share your XMLs on hundsmiachn‘s Github - see header of this thread. (But I have to admit - I don‘t know how this works…)

• Does anyone have a working example of code used to represent Wind bearing and speed?. Thanks!

• For over the past 12 months since creating a datafield, I have noticed an oddity, the "Distance to Coordinate" can be innacurate for some unknown reason.

I have a "Direction Arrow"  set up for the "Start Coordinates" as well as the "Distance to Coordinate" which I presume points to the "Start Coordinate", but at times when following a course, the "Distance to Destination" following a course can be less than "Distance to Coordinate" which in reality cannot happen, it could be equal if the road I was on was a straight road to exactly the start location, but it should never be less than.

Before commencing rides, I have checked that I am in the correct location for the start point of the course which is alongside the house and also I always turn on the Garmin for no less than 15 minutes before I commence a ride to ensure a good GPS fix.

Here are some screenshots of todays ride, the black arrow points to "North" and the red arrow points to the "Start Location". Above the two arrows is the "Distance to Coordinate" which can be compared to the numeral to the left of it "Distance to Destination: - Note top left, I have only rode 4.6 miles on bendy rodes (Top Left), but the "Distance to Coordinate" is already displaying 5.8 miles which is a direct line to where I started from?

At the point where I head for home, 11 miles following the course but 11.5 miles as the crow flies in a straight line.

Closer to home, things look better, "Distance to Coordinate" is less than "Distance to Destination" as it should be, but I have a big dog leg of about a mile to the West to come.

I am now doing the dog leg to the West, but the "Distance to Coordinate" is now 1.5 miles greater than Distance to Destination, How, that should be impossible????

Three miles from home following the course, but "Distance to Coordinate" showing 4 miles as the crow flies

And finally as I am about home, it is correct, my start location is just to my right in the next street after I do a short U turn from the street I am in at present.

It does not cause a problem this issue whilst cycling, but if I was walking etc, then it might, but it is confusing with what is happening.

• To be honest, I have not used DIY for a long time, but I remember: it‘s a little bit tricky to use the direction element.

Have you studied page 16 of the manual?

• Over the year, I have read that page looking for an answer but I cannot see anything wrong.

The app seems to work sometimes, but then for some unknown reason it does not, especially that 1.5 mile error that appears in my example when I do a dog leg. I did think that does the distance back to start logic follow the contours of the land especially when the error is only about 100 to 300 metres out, but an error of 1.5 miles dispells that theory as there are no hills or deep valleys etc of that height.

Also I have thought is there a GPS error as I ride. But as I have "follow roads" enabled in the Edge, I always appear in the edge on a road, a GPS error would put me anywhere on the map were the GPS thinks I am.

Maybe there is map errors and coordinates are wrong, but even so if there was, the error would be constant.

One thing that I am planning on trying is enter my start coordinates into Garmin Connect to get uploaded into the app to see if that makes a difference.

It does not cause major problems following a course as Distance to Destination is always correct, but anyone "Free Riding" etc, which I rarely do apart from on club rides etc, could have issues if they always want to check on how far away they are from the start point and the error causes them to wander too far away.

Anyway, thanks for your help, the answer might be just a simple error somewhere or a clash of logic or an issue with the Garmin Edge itself.

• Good news, after a lot of messing about, changing settings in the Edge, changing maps etc with no answer to the problem, I may have found the answer to the problem.

The "Distance to Coordinate" data field, only displays units in Kilometres, so basically if your riding the "DIY " app in statute miles and the Edge settings are in miles etc, everything in the "DIY" app will display everything in miles, except "Distance to Coordinate" which only displays in KM's.

I took a few screenshots today, but this one is the best example, the point I turn for home: -

Note the 11.2 above the two arrows which is the distance to the start location, but its only 10.8 following the course, an impossibility.

But, when I go into Garmin mapsource, I find if I convert 11.2 KM (suposedly miles) into miles it comes to just over 7 miles and that is the exact distance (Green Route) from the screenshot location to the Start Location. There is a slight error in my screenshot of mapsource but that is because it was just a quick rough attempt at getting the exact positions.

On checking other locations where I took screenshots, I find the same error, the "Distance to Start" is always depicted in KM, so now I have to find where is the setting to change it to miles because as of yet, I cannot find one? 

And this might be why, I cannot recollect having an issue when I ride events, as they are always in KM.

Tommorow I will ride with everything set to KM and see what happens to confirm what is the probable cause of the issue.

• If it turns out, that‘s the reason, then you cannot change the output value from km to miles yourself.

must be asked to check if „distance to coordinate“ is prepared for output in the device‘s distance settings, and if not, to be so kind to add it.

• Seems to be a bug on my side. Will fix that in the next release.