This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

text message notifications not coming through after iOS 13 update

Just updated my software to iOS 13.0 and now my FR635 will not alert me of text notifications. When I receive a text my FR635 does not buzz or even show that I have a notification. When I receive notifications from other apps (twitter, groupme, etc) my FR635 will not buzz but with show them on my notifications widget. The only thing my FR635 will do still is buzz for incoming calls. 

I saw other people with similar problems and tried going to settings -> notifications -> connect -> show previews -> always, but this did nothing for me. I still do not get notifications for texts at all or any vibrations for all other notifications (besides phone calls). I have phone notification alerts set to vibration for both during an activity and not during an activity through the Garmin app.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I called and spoke to Garmin. I work in healthcare and do not want a preview of my texts on the phone screen, but do want to see it on my watch. With the new update this is not possible. It must be set to “always” or “when unlocked” to come across your watch. Unfortunately, this is on Apple’s end and not Garmin. They recommended complaining to Apple in hopes that it will be fixed after the next upgrade.  

• Garmin must make a commercial agreement with Apple to resolve the problem !!!!!!!!!!!
  • One thing is certain.  The Apple Watch still works the same way...   so why can’t our Garmin watches - we don’t want previews on.  You don’t need it on for the Apple Watch!   

• So I changed it to always and it started working. I changed it to only when unlocked and it still works. Changed it back to never, how I prefer it, and it still works. Notifications show on my watch with no previews on the locked or unlocked iPhone. 

• FR938.....tried everything above but it still doesn't work

• Forerunner 935

I tried all all the fixes listed here and non of them work, so I deleted the Garmin Connect App from my iPhone and Forgot My Device in bluetooth settings and re-installed the connect app from the Apple Store.  

The App now asks a series of questions re notifications so I checked yes to these and sent a few test messages.  It now works fine.  

Annoying to have to reinstall everything but it did cure the issue

• This worked for me!  Thanks!

• Go to you settings on your watch. Select phone and then select Pair Phone. Remember to have your phone unlock to be able to allow you watch to pair again. That fixed the same problem for me. 

• Hi. I was frustrated by this as well. I found this worked with my 235 so fingers crossed for you. In:

Settings>Notifications>Show Previews (at top): Select ‘never’

Then:

Settings>Notifications>Messages and Whattsapp>Show Previews: Select ‘When unlocked’

On a locked screen, this will only show the name of who sent the ,but on your Garmin, it will show the full message.

hope it works for you.

• Previous to this update, my settings were set to never display messages. Due to the nature of my work, I can’t have messages appearing on the screen of my phone. My watch is fine because I can’t always be at my phone and can know when it’s urgent or not. So that is not an option.

There needs to be another way to have this resolved then to display messages.