This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Inaccurate gps tracking after update 12.23 on FR 955

Hi guys!

After update 12.23 gps track has been disappointingly inaccurate.

Before update gps track was incredibly smooth!

What do you think?

Maybe opaque autumn clouds?

On pic below: after update and before.

Top Replies

All Replies

• The tracks for the activities recorded with a proper activity profile (Walk, Run, and Track Run), though offset, look great*, nice and smooth.  I encourage you to re-calibrate the Track Run profile using the "How Do I Recalibrate a Track on the Track Run Profile?" section of the FAQ below:

Using the Track Run Profile on My Compatible Garmin Watch

As for using the SUP activity profile to record a walking or (track) running activity, we do not expect that the SUP activity profile would give comparable results (in the GPS track) to the activity profiles designed for that type of activity.  Each activity profile has specific differences built into it to maximize its accuracy for recording the activity in question.

*You can see that Track Run activity profile's GPS track looks the best of all of your examples, which is expected, given your choice to record this activity on a 400 meter track of standard shape.

• To add to this, the offset may not be the watch's fault, but may be a systemic error in Strava's satellite imagery for that area.

• It's not about the track position related to the satellite image. Its about the GPS track itself, all shacky and messed like if I wasn't walking straight and at constant speed.

•  for me the track run line is also bad, just like SUP ones. 

I used the SUP mode while walking in a track for testing purposes. To make it clear! We are doing what Garmin should have done before launching faulty products in the market.

I did this as a final test, to leave no doubt, after so much frustration because all my water activities look crap like this since I bought the 955. It shows like if I wasnt moving straight and creates gaps in speed graph like if I had quick stops in the middle if constant speed parts.

Look at the speed graph (zoomed in). 
    I'm at constant speed, 8km/h, until 8:49. At 8:50 speed goes to zero and at 8:51 it's back to 7,5km/h. Same happens at 8:55 and 9:03. 

This is not what we customers expect when buying such expensive devices. It wasnt like this with any of my previous Garmin watches.

• Going from 11,5 km/h to zero and back to full speed in one second is not even possible in a kayak. My graphs are now full of these gaps in the same places where the line goes crazy.

• I see that you have not given us permission to email you or look into your Garmin Connect account.  For further assistance, please respond to my questions on page 5 of this thread.

• I give permission to e-mail me and look into my connect account and activities. Thank you.

• Hi,

i also have many bad GPS-tracks, since i updated from 11:12 do 12.23. For example:

almost all trainings (running, cycling) look like that. I tryed many settings like recordingmethod "intelligent", "1 second", GPS-mode "only GPS", "all systems", "all systems + multiband", "auto select" nothing changed. Update to 12.27 also had no impact. I mentiones that most trainigs have this on minute 3-6... also i made resets but this also didn't helped.

• 1. yes

2. yes

3. Germany

• I see that you are still running 12.27 sw on your watch, but that you are Beta enrolled.  Please sync the watch with Garmin Express which should push the 13.15 update to your watch.  Let us know how your GPS (not just the GPS track, but the pace and distance as well) looks after a few activities on the 13.15 software.