This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Inaccurate gps tracking after update 12.23 on FR 955

Hi guys!

After update 12.23 gps track has been disappointingly inaccurate.

Before update gps track was incredibly smooth!

What do you think?

Maybe opaque autumn clouds?

On pic below: after update and before.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Above it was SUP activity (renamed). But it's happening to other outdoor activities profiles.

Yesterday I went sailing, using "other" profile (also renamed). Lines look similar.

DPSK, I mostly use "all system", but I've tried all the options with similar results.

• Hi all,

Just to update the matter. 

I did a full reset/restore in the 955, to see if that would help. The bad thing is I lost my HRV database. FW was already 13.21.
    I'm sad to inform that nothing changed, and the problem persists. 
    Yesterday I went paddling and used the Garmin FR955 and the Garmin Vivosport for comparison. Both were in my left wrist (and properly configured for left side). 
    - 955 was set to All+Multiband and Every Second Recording - SUP activity (copy)
    - Vivosport was using activity Other - Outside
    HRM-Pro strap was paired to the 955 using bluetooth to avoid footpod functions interference. But I had used it without HRM pair at all in the day before and made no difference.
    Vivosport track line is smooth. 
    955 track line is messed, and speed graph has gaps.
    The total distance also has a 70m difference. Vivosport: 4.37 km. Forerunner 955: 4.45 km. That may be within the error margin, not sure.
    Vivosport:

955:

Gaps in 955 speed graph:
    Like I said, it was neves like this in any of the previous Garmin devices I had before, including a Fenix 7. 
  • Hi Kevin, after updating to 13.21 nothing changes:

Run on 22.11.22 at 19:08 SW:13.21 GPS: Smart; GPS-mode: auto-select, Problem at Minute 1:30-2:00

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/10020434781

Run on 27.11.22  at 12:19 SW: 13.21 GPS: 1 Second; GPS mode: AutoSelect, Problem at Minute 7-8

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/10045049871

This is very frustrating :-( Please give me a tip to solve this because it getting worth. To hope every Uptate fixes something, but nothing changes, for a watch that costs 600 € this is not acceptable. At the moment i think it was not worth to bought this watch :-(

My 935 doesn´t had any problems like that, on the same route.

• Have you tried any of the other GPS settings: GPS Only, All Systems, All + Multi-Band.

Maybe the problem is only with Auto Select (especially with that second route which looks to be in an urban canyon).

I only ever use Auto Select for walking activities. For runs I use All+Multi-Band, mainly because some of the routes I run go along paths between rows of trees. Wet leaves affect the GPS signal a lot.

• Hi, yes in this threat i posted many examples. But i wil try it with 13.21. The route is in a park open to the sky.

• Have the same problem. Before last FW upd was a terrible tracking. After 13.21 it appears only within 1-3 first minutes of every running, as u told. Tried to use different gps variants. Every time same result. By the way, that problem came when device was updated from 11.12 to 12.23.

Created topic about month ago. But didn’t find any solve of that problem. It looks like we should just wait another FW upd and hope this bug will be fixed there…

forums.garmin.com/.../incorrect-distance-tracking-with-fr955

• This is making me so stressed! I'm traveling and doing competitions and I don't have decent register or my performances and courses. 

any updates on this matter?

Any response from the engineering team if this is a software issue or if we got defective units?

• I don’t think that we got defective units. I hope that. I've purchased my watch with FW 11.12. So in that period everything was perfect! Next update crushed track recording…

Actually I found one more interesting think – if you start you exercise than waiting till crush and normalize gps, and then start again so u will get normal tracking. Why it couldn’t start from the first time, idk…

• That would be a workaround. But for me the the issue persists all over the activity. 

Yesterday I was paddling a canoe in the sea for 4h - 25km. Using all + multi band. Recorded track was  terrible and speed chart full of gaps to the very end. 

I'm at a different region and altitude now, so it's also not related to my city location.

• Hi, today i tried All + Multiband and GPS-mode: 1 Second. It looks always the same, i tested the same route. This is since update 11.12 changed to 12.xx and so on.

Run on 29.11.22 at 18:53 SW: 13.21 GPS: 1 Second; GPS Mode: all systems + multiband Problem at Minute 1:55 - 3:00

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/10057808147

So nothing changed.