This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Inaccurate gps tracking after update 12.23 on FR 955

Hi guys!

After update 12.23 gps track has been disappointingly inaccurate.

Before update gps track was incredibly smooth!

What do you think?

Maybe opaque autumn clouds?

On pic below: after update and before.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Running pace as shown on the watch during activity is fluctuating a lot more as before. These are on routes where I run more often. I already changed the settings from auto select to all + multiband, but it doesn't improve. 

• I’ve seen a lot of bad tracks recently and most often I have recorded them using the Stryd App which uses native settings from the watch (mine is set to every second and multi-band gps). I am tired of sending examples to Garmin team and listen to ridiculous excuses such as “there is a problem after you started the second lap in that park, try to run only one lap and see activity track..”. I am using the watch as an accessory, I am not someone testing and reviewing the watch. I wouldn’t adjust my training to random suggestions from Garmin staff. Currently, I reboot the watch sensor every day and try to avoid using the Stryd app for regular runs (only using it for sessions), so I can have a better looking track.

• 1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Poland

For example, today's run looks just... horrible:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9631332411

Same route as yesterday:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9622217721 - this one looks really ok.

Recording set to every second, GPS only.

• In addition to my comment below, we would like to know if any of you are experiencing the symptoms mentioned in:

Not maintaining GPS Lock in GPS Only mode

If so, please comment on that thread.

After reviewing the information provided (in this thread and via email) by many of you, I am having a difficult time finding examples of when the watch is recording a GPS position outside of the 3 meter range of accuracy mentioned in (the "What is GPS Drift?" section of) our FAQ below:

What Can Cause GPS Accuracy Issues on My Fitness Device?

If you have an example of an activity that shows an obvious inaccurate GPS outside of the 3 meter range, please provide the following:

• Have you changed the Data Recording setting at all? (i.e. from Smart to Every second)
    • URL from Garmin Connect Web for the activity recorded on 12.23 software
    • URL from Garmin Connect Web for an activity with the same route that was recorded on 11.12 but did not have the poor GPS data
    • Screenshot (from the Garmin Connect app or Garmin Connect Web) of the GPS track of the 12.23 activity
    • Screenshot (from the Garmin Connect app or Garmin Connect Web) of the GPS track of the 11.12 activity
    • Time during the activity where the inaccurate data was recorded (ex. "between 16:30 and 17:15 minutes into the activity", NOT "the entire activity is inaccurate")
    • Confirm that you grant consent for us to access/view your Garmin Connect account

I do see that some of the examples provided include GPS tracks that are not necessarily as smooth as the pre-12.23 examples.  This added information that I have requested will help us investigate these differences.

• Having ran London Marathon for the last two years, I was disappointed to say the least that the 955 was less accurate than the 945 I wore last year! The 945 recorded 26.60 miles, whereas the 955 showed 26.77 at the finish and was way out from the mile markers from an early stage, not just Canary Wharf where it seems to struggle the most.

Settings were All + Multi band and 1 sec recording. I've now changed to Auto select and smart recording, pointless using the most power hungry if it's not improved anything over the 945's Sony chip.

It all worked out in the end but it did make pacing quite difficult. 

• All,

We have had various GPS improvements since the 12.23 update.  After updating to 13.15 (which is the current beta software), are any of you seeing GPS issues either during your recorded activity or when viewing the activity in Garmin Connect?

Enrolling in Garmin Beta Software Program

• Hi Kevin,

I went on a trail run/walk today with full sun and the track was pretty smooth and flawless, even down in a narrow gorge 300 feet deep. More testing is needed to confirm it’s better, but since going to 3.15 the tracks do seem smoother and more accurate. As I said before though, mine has never really had any bad tracks  I just know it did better before the 12.23 update  

SA

• I'm using FR955 13.15 Beta, every second recording, all + multi band, flat land with no tall buildings around.

GPS line on activities still all crap, shaky. It even make gaps in speed graph. I'm very disappointed, it's much worse that any Garmin watch I've used before.

One thing I noticed yesterday, when did some tests in a running 400m track. When using "run" or "walk" app, its not that bad bad. But changed to "sup" and its all bad again. At the end I ran 2 laps using "track run" app and also terrible line! 

Maybe "run" and "walk" applies some smoothing? 

All the following were done last night. 400m track. I walked in lane 1 (inner one).

Walk (2 laps): 

Run (1 lap each):

Track Run (2 laps):

SUP (1 lap each):

Theres the gaps in speed graph (I was walking at constant speed, it shows like I had stopped):

I authorize Garmin to enter my account and see my activities. .

• Looking at the same activities but imported in strava, the map allows us to see it even clearer: 

Run (+- 4:30 min/km pace): 

Walk (2 laps 9:50 min/km pace):

SUP (walking +- 9:30min/km pace):