Absurd speeds and distances

Hi all, 

Lately my wife's vivosmart 5 is calculating absurd intervals and statistics.

Recently we went on a walk where she apparently walked vastly libger than I did. Inspecting the data she apparently managed to walk 4.63 km in 1.1 seconds. Or minutes? Both pretty astonishing. 

Today we went biking. Again, she achieved inhuman feats:

She is getting pretty serious with her biking. But I'm fairly certain she did not go 237 kph on her bike. Even better, she did manage to achieve this 5 kilometers of this interval in just about 300 meters.

This may be related:

Pretty sure her bike isn't rated for this speed. I plan to do a full inspection on her bike just in case she did achieve 0.2 percent of the speedbof light on her bike.

Jokes aside this is a recent development and we are wondering if this may be related to the update about a week ago. GPS is done on the phone, we know, but it does seem illogical that there are no safeguards against data or GPS issues when calculating speed or distance. I have had flawless GPS reception during the same ride. On my 955 as well as the phone. She and I both use a samsung s23 in case that is something you are interested in.

Any tips how to improve the situation?

• The same problem here. Yesterday a bike ride of around 21 km, what came in the app as 91,12 km, max. speed 7730935,3km/u. In the speed graph, there was indeed a spike. I was not able to save changes for this ride I made in the app (comment), until I corrected the max.speed in the website.

Today a bike ride of 20,65 km (according to the meter on the bike), what was registered as 69,76 km. The speed graph was as expected. 

In both cases the rides look good on the map, I haven’t looked at the actual dump from the website.

I restarted the Vivosmart as well as the phone. Using 3.13 on the Vivosmart, since Aug.17. The Connect app on the iPhone has been updated automatically a couple of days later (4.70.0.25)

• I guess we got the point across. But I have two new gems :-)

This was an about 800 meter walk. 20 minutes look fine though 

And then this one 

Pretty sure this was about 13 kilometers. Mostly down hill, so we actually were kind of quick. But definitely not THAT far and quick Grinning 

• same problem, did 37km ride, count as 148km. at least in strava I can correct distance..

• The bike ride I did this morning gave correct results. Before, I stopped the Connect app and restarted the iPhone. I also restarted the Vivosmart.

I had a look at the actual data of the faulty bike rides, exported from the website. This is the distance column (in meters), it is correct in the beginning, than changes to 91119,34 until the end of the data.

And this is the speed (m/s):

For the other ride the same distance problem, but it changes to 69761,99. 

Hopefully this is an incident, we'll see.

I corrected the distance and the speed in the website (connect.garmin.com). Select the activity, press the wheel icon (top right) and select 'Change' in the pulldown menu.

• I'm having the same issue. This started about 2 weeks ago. I walk 2 to 3 times a day. The last time I wore the watch 2 of the 3 walks were 40+ miles. This in 30 minutes of walking. What is weird is that the map looks correct. The time is correct, but the distance is incorrect.

• The reason for this behavior is that you start recording an activity before the GPS has determined the coordinates of the start location with sufficient accuracy. After the bracelet reports that it has received the coordinates from the phone and is ready to start recording the activity, just wait 10 seconds before pressing the Start button.

To correct these jumps in speed and distance in already recorded activities, you need to trim them. Just remove those same 10 seconds from the beginning of the session.

• no, triming doesnt help, not in garmin connect nor strava.

• This all started after the latest software update. This morning I tried as suggested. I waited 20 seconds after the start button appeared. When I hit the start button right away lap one came up with the time being 00:00. By the time I realized that it was displaying lap one I hit the display, and it came up with 17 seconds on it and running. The distance as already 22.?? mile.

• Try to restart bracelet - this works for me.

• , This is not (always) true, look at my reply above, where the distance is correct from the beginning and changes to nonsense all of a sudden. My last ride was correct, by the way.