This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 satellites lost

Anyone still exp this problem? I get a sattelites lost message almost every time I ride under a bridge/road, no matter if it takes me 5 or 30 seconds to get to the other side.

I will try using GPS only or GPS+GLONASS, which will hop help prevent this from occurring again. 

• Hi,

My 830 has the 5.10 firmware and the problem exist also on that release. So i think its more hardware related. Tht's why you dont see much official reaction from Garmin. If it was a software problem it would have been solved already a while ago.

• Is it affecting all 830 devices or just some?

I’m wondering if it’s a design fault affecting all devices - major issue. Or if it’s a manufacturing fault that only affects a set batch?

The latter would be easier to resolve. But the first would be a major problem and render the entire 830 range useless. 

I don’t see every owner of the 830 reporting this, so if it is hardware I’d suspect it’s a fault with a batch of devices. But having said that, my 830 was bought last week with 5.20 firmware. So I should have a later made batch than some who reported this problem over a year ago. 

I’m hoping it’s a software fault that can be fixed. But this needs escalating. Maybe some enquiries on Reddit and other popular internet sites with a wider audience would help get proper numbers counted and maybe make more people aware before they buy this model and have the same problem. Could even be worth contacting the usual bloggers on this subject and get them involved. Resolutions seem to be slow or may even have stalled. Making it more mainstream may help speed things up or get more testing done by individuals to find for ourselves if this is a design issue or a fixable software issue. 

I’m going to run the 830 alongside the 530 for a while and compare the two results. 

• All three of the Edge 830 devices I owned had this exact same problem. To me this is very clearly hardware related- I have now gone back to using my iPhone 11 Pro Max for navigation and using my Fenix 6X Pro Solar to record my rides.

• Agree it is a hardware issues I had 2 830s and even the 530 and they had the same problem with losing satellite reception. I have gone back to my 520 which works fine. Will wait when they release the next model. Software updates will not solve this problem unfortunately. 

• Just bought the 830 with 5.20 firmware and I'm having the same problem, very disappointed! My ancient Mio 505 had better reception, that is just inacceptable... Using default setting GPS+Glonass. I have a couple of days left to send it back, but I want to believe it is a software problem. Can you promise me this Garmin? Hope to hear from you soon.....

• Just bought the 830 with 5.20 firmware and I'm having the same problem, very disappointed! My ancient Mio 505 had better reception, that is just inacceptable... Using default setting GPS+Glonass. I have a couple of days left to send it back, but I want to believe it is a software problem. Can you promise me this Garmin? Hope to hear from you soon.....

• Did you use GPS only or Galileo / Glonass?

I’ve owner my 530 for more than a year and never had this problem with it. It’s set to GPS only. 

I’ve now set my 830 to GPS only to test if that stops the problem. 

Glonadd and Galileo cover in my area is nowhere near as good as gps. I tested this earlier in the year for someone on Reddit to help them solve a problem they were having with their watch. 

I’m wondering if the device has issues when glonass or Galileo drops it’s signal and if so, would this be fixed by solely using GPS mode?

It’s a long shot, but it’s worth a try as my 530 ran solely on GPS and never had the issue.  

• I only tried GPS+Glonass, because I assume it is far more accurate than GPS only?

• That’s an assumption many make, but no, it’s often not the best option. 

It very much depends what part of the world you’re in. Some systems cover one area better than another. 

I use an app on my phone to see what satellites are above me and I decide what to use based on that. Time also affects the decision. Sometimes I have more cover than others. 

In the area where I live and train, GPS is best. On its own. So I tend to turn the others off. 

I didn’t get out tonight sadly. But I’m hoping putting my 830 to GPS only may help as on the 530 there are no issues at all and that’s on GPS only.