This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 satellites lost

Anyone still exp this problem? I get a sattelites lost message almost every time I ride under a bridge/road, no matter if it takes me 5 or 30 seconds to get to the other side.

I will try using GPS only or GPS+GLONASS, which will hop help prevent this from occurring again. 

• Going through a tunnel and losing a GPS signal would be a normal experience. Did the Edge regain its GPS signal after leaving the tunnel?

• Dear Matthew, do you already have an idea why the gps-glonass-galileo reception of the 830 is such a hot topic? Do you still believe it is firmware related? 

• All my previous owned devices did not have this issue of failing GPS signal when inside a tunnel this bad. To give an example, it's loosing the signal straight inside the tunnel at the blue mark and only regaining the signal 100 meters outside the tunnel at the red mark. Messing up the data in between with a straight line.

I would not call this normal experience?

Could you also give us some insides on how you're handling all the issues and questions around the satellites lost messages? My local vendor acknowledged the issues with my device and couldn't get it fixed so they swapped it for a new one. So it seems like there are some serious issues going on.  

• Just updated from 5.10 to 5.50 and did a 62km ride. I can confirm that for the very first time it DID NOT give me that usual 'lost satellite' notification  when I rode through a 25m short tunnel. However, I have no idea whether the 5.50 update has improved the satellite reception or it just stops reporting momentary loss of satellite???

• Can you check the tracking like Stelling did? I did a 60km test ride with gps + gallileo, but the tracking was even worse than gps + glonass. Firmware 5.48. Location: western europe. No “lost satelite”, but the margin for that message is stretched I think..

• I also think that the GPS lost message is now forcibly delayed. The GPS accuracy, it's still terrible.

You can see some of my testing GPS + Glonass vs Galileo in this thread below. 

Reg GPS accuracy with FW 5.50,  you can see my comment from today here: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/167882/gps-accuracy?ReplySortBy=CreatedDate&ReplySortOrder=Descending

• When I bought the Edge 830 GPS device for almost 400 euro I wasn't expecting myself to read through pages of customer care threads and finally post a message myself.. but this is frustrating. 

It seems that most people are losing signal temp / on/off? My problem is that the device doesn't even acquire satellites (tried outside, clear view, Gps, Glonass etc). It worked just fine first month, but on May 11th (2 weeks ago) the trouble started. If lucky it only works for a few minutes after re-installing & syncing with connect but then it loses again. Extremely frustrating. 

Is there anyone on this forum that can help me at least acquiring satellites ;). 

Help very much appreciated. 

• First ride with FW 5.50 and same problem... I am planning another complaint about the device.. This is not normal. After 63,1km speed down to zero, and Garmin 830 stopped recording the route.

•  Could you please respond to our questions? This cherry picking of QA is very unsatisfying and frustrating. There are a lot of users complaining about issues in this thread alone and they are ignored completely.