This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 satellites lost

Anyone still exp this problem? I get a sattelites lost message almost every time I ride under a bridge/road, no matter if it takes me 5 or 30 seconds to get to the other side.

I will try using GPS only or GPS+GLONASS, which will hop help prevent this from occurring again. 

• Great work! I see the same sloppy tracking on my 830 with 5.48. I really hope Garmin will take this seriously now......

• I think Garmin will consider the issue serious, if we start to downgrade the products rating where its being sold. Having unsatisfied customers expresisng their complaints on Garmin forums is in Garmin`s interest. 

• Just got a message from my local vendor. They investigated my device and had to admit it was having GPS issues which they couldn't get fixed. They are going to send over a new device. I'm very curious if this new Edge 830 is going to have the same issues as well. Will do a test spin later this week and keep you posted.

still no response from Garmin, this silence is getting rather embarrassing...

• I think that will not resolve the issue, only when they make a hardware change in newer versions.... I really hope firmware can take care of it..

• I got a replacement from Garmin- it was the exact same. I ended up selling it

• That's a bad conclusion for us, the remaining owners of 830.

• And that is an understatement, it would be nuts if that is the only solution... Dit someone test the tracking results of gps + galileo in the Europe region?

• See my post below. Testing was done in Brussels. 

Tough it;s not an extensive testing, one of the test scenario I did with GPS+Galileo (terrible results if you ask me) .

• I have/had many Edge and FR/Fenix units, my Fenix3 (very first batch, there were many releases from it and some of them was worse then the very first) has the best GPS accuracy with handlebar mount (with GPS+Glonass setting),  i always record my rides with dual devices, my Edge 1000 (GPS+GLONASS) or Edge 820 (GPS+Galileo, this is very accurate and consistent with clear sky vision but if the signal reflection /multipath/ is bigger, in forest, or next to a forest or on narrow streets between taller buildings the track is getting inaccurate, but this 820 is also from very first batch, i dont know how good is the very last ones, a better antenne and/or PCB design can reduce the signal interference near to the mainboard ) are much worse, and as i experienced this new Sony GPS has worse GPS accuracy also  than the old F3..., especially they (Sony chip, so Polar devices are also affected from this issue) dont like the quick acceleration/braking with cornering for example  Of course there are more revisions (redesigned PCB, different ICs/transistors, they are continously changing the manufacturing process if they found a design flaw) from 830 for 100% sure just they (Garmin) never tell it to the customer.

• So I've received a new device from my local vendor and took it out for a 47 km spin today. I first upgraded to the latest official firmware version with Garmin Express and it's now on 5.00. I don't know why it's not upgrading to 5.10, but that seems to be a Garmin Express issue? Also the device is telling me it's on software version 5.20, but that version doesn't exist I think.

Anyhow, the ride recording was spot on! Just a single loss of satellites when I was underneath a quite large bridge. I've tested it out in the open, underneath trees, bridges and took it to my local park where there a lot of roads next to each other. The 830 recorded it all perfectly. I also recorded with my old Mio 505 just to see the differences afterwards and the 830 looks like it's a lot more accurate. Recording was done using GPS + GLONASS setting.

Not sure if the issues are really resolved, because the first 20 rides on the previous device were spot on as well, thereafter the problems began. Hope that's not the case right now. I'll keep you posted if the problems return.