This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 satellites lost

Anyone still exp this problem? I get a sattelites lost message almost every time I ride under a bridge/road, no matter if it takes me 5 or 30 seconds to get to the other side.

I will try using GPS only or GPS+GLONASS, which will hop help prevent this from occurring again. 

• I did a short ride with GPS only and I had zero drop outs! I have the feeling the navigation arrow lags more on turns, but it definitly makes a difference.

• Yep, I used GPS only too today and had 0 drop outs. 

Considering I’ve owned a 530 for the last 12 months and only ever used GPS only and never got any drop outs, I’m hoping that putting my 830 to GPS only will do the same for it and prevent drop outs. 

More testing required, but considering my last 3 rides had drop outs when using 2 satellite technologies and today’s ride didn’t, when using just GPS I think that’s a good start, when added to my 530 experience that has the same chip installed. 

• Do you think Garmin support will read our findings?

• Another ride today. GPS only. Worked perfectly again. 

I took the 530 out too. That also worked perfectly with GPS only activated. And has done for the last 12 months as I never used anything other than GPS only. 

If I use anything on top of GPS then my track had errors. This doesn’t happen with GPS only. 

So the workaround appears to be use GPS only. 

I’m on 5.20 firmware on the 830 and 5.10 on the 530. 

• I have a 530 with 5.20 and have no problems with GPS+GLONASS. today i did a 90 km trail in holland and had zero dropouts.

• Your glonass cover is probably better than mine. 

I use an app to check what coverage I have, as in what satellites are above me. Glonass isn’t the best here and as such something seems to upset the 830’s tracking. Switching to GPS only - problem fixed. 

I did another ride today. Perfect track again. 

• What application did you use? I will try it too.

• I did a 2nd ride yesterday with gps only, had 3 drop outs....Cry

• There seem to be a lot of people with the same problem, but still no reply from Garmin. Could you please give us some insights if this problem is going to fixed in an upcoming release?

• Got my Edge 830 two weeks ago. On the first rides I noticed the GPS lost message once riding under a small bridge.

After that I updated to latest beta and did not see that message again. 

However, after several comparison tests with my old Fenix 3 device I can say that I am disappointed by the Edge GPS tracking accuracy. 

In my opinion, the Fenix 3 is not a very precise unit either (I compared it with other friends watches like 735xt). 

Some testing done with both devices side by side (10cm apart) on the handlebar. 

As I said I'm disappointed to see that Edge, latest generation, more powerful and larger antenna presumably is almost on par, if not below, a smaller device from 2015. 

TEST scenario

Fenix 3 = GPS + Glonass all the time

Test1 Edge = GPS +Glonass - I think this is the best result 

Test2 Edge = GPS Only

Test3 Edge = GPS +Galileo

Filename in the screenshot reflects GPS Settings.

Edge Firmware 5.44 Beta

GPS+Glonass

GPS Only

Parts from a ride I did yesterday with latest beta firmware 5.48 and GPS + Glonass for both devices. I selected only few examples but there other similar ones in my ride.

First screenshot is in the city, passing under a railway bridge but the Edge got scared and went off road 100 meters before the bridge. No issues for Fenix.

Next two images with Edge going off, on a cycle path no more than 2.5 meters wide and with some trees on one side. If you look at the scale I would say its about 15 - 20 meters deviation.