This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can I turn off the 530 Power Menu? Just want 1-click power down

I don't want to use sleep.

I don't want to use bike alarm.

When I am done with my sync, I just want to hold the power button down for a few seconds and have the device completely power off, like my 510 used to do.

Why is this so hard? While many people hated the touch screen, the buttons are a horrible UI and I really refer the way I would stop a ride and click on the screen to save, it would auto sync and then shut down. This 530, with all of its great new features feels like a real step back.

• Oh man, I had the same thoughts about finish the ride, safe the activity and shut down the device. I can not understand why the turn off button does not directly turns off the device, like after pressing the button a few seconds.

Finishing a ride with the 530 leads to the firstbeat metrics and a lot of scrolling pages and confirming, till the device finally shuts down. This experience was much more enjoyable with the 510, which has a awkward touch screen. Not much of a touch screen like the smartphones these days, but hey. Are the buttons really a progress?

The need of both hands to scrolling pages and confirming every single step is equally frustrating  as the painfull amount of steps from stoping the ride to shut down the device.

However once the data  is collected, the software with all its predictions and metrics is a joy. Definitely no need for a third party software, like goldencheetah, garmin summit or others.

Up to now, I would be perfectly happy by rather paying for upgrading my old 510 with the new software feature provided by firstbeat, than switch to the interface that is shipped with the 530.

• The buttons are a horrible UI? Can you suggest how else is Garmin supposed to implement some of these functions then? Why did you not get the 830 instead?

I think Sleep is important - not everyone is a boy racer. There'll be times when I will stop (drink, pee, admire the ocean, whistle at the girls) and want to save on battery power but don't want to lose the metrics of the ride....this is where sleep comes in. 

Bike alarm....hmmm.....well lots of cyclist are buying the Garmin just for this feature alone. Whether you like it or not it's already implemented. 

What Garmin implements let no one dismantle. If you're successful at getting Garmin to remove the bike alarm feature please also get them to remove the virtual partner and change the route coloring at the same time. 

When i have to stop the Garmin - i don't mind a few key presses to ensure that i really want to stop it.

Basically i'm OK with the stop button functioning the way it is.

• Four button presses spread over three different buttons is ridiculous.

They could easily make it more user friendly. Power + Down together = sleep and Power + Up together = alarm. Then holding the power button could turn it off with one press as it should for those who don't want to use the other features and just want to turn the stupid device off.

• 2 buttons pressed at the same time - That's a 2 handed operation !! good suggestion but i don't like 2 buttons simultaneous pressed functions - my timing is always off by a few milliseconds. Definitely not something you'll want to do on the bike. I thought we were going for simplicity. As it is now i can still shut the unit down while cycling......Anyway.....it doesn't matter. The functionality is already installed - if you know a bit about tech and programming you'll know that it'll be 3 times more trouble to remove a function than to install it.

There are bigger fishes to fry with the 530 !!!!!

• It seems like 'off' should be the first choice. I use sleep (although usually just auto sleep, but sometimes on the menu), and occasionally alarm - but every single ride ends with an off. Perhaps the thought is that we'll sleep device after rides, but I've not had great luck with sensors working correctly after doing so (particularly my lights). 

• Sorry to rain on your parade guys -  i prefer what Garmin has done with the Off button funcion. They have chosen to play it safe. I stop the bike and pause more often than stopping the 530. I only stop the 530 at the end of a ride. In my books the stop function is not my frequent usage function.

I sure hate to mistakenly lose the ride metrics and my routing by accidentally going into the stop function due to it being the first option to drop into. Being tired and thirsty and hungry from a long ride can be a very distracting thing. 

As it is now it's much safer for the stop command to be at the end of the choices.

• Everyone has a different usage model, it is fine that the Garmin menu works the way you want it to work. The reality is that your usage model is different from others' and what we are not asking for is for Garmin to change their model for everyone, but instead for them to offer the option for people to customize it for their usage.

This is not a zero-sum game. Today I can turn off nutrition and water notifications and they no longer show up when saving a ride. Why is there not an option to turn off the power menu? You use it. Others don't. Why is this forced on everyone, Garmin should offer choice.

• I prefer Garmin to be more productive resolving / removing the larger problems first before getting into something as petty as this. 

As i mentioned earlier - once the codes are in - it's a ben hur of an effort to remove it and ensure everything else still runs smoothly. 

And besides - i do like how easy it is to put the 530 to sleep mode via the Power button. I don't want it anywhere else - it's the perfect place for it.

• I disagree. (I spent 20+ years in tech including a lot of development and project management.)

There are easy things and simple things. Both you and I are not in a position to knew whether what I am asking for is easy or hard.

Again, if they can make the nutrition prompt optional, there is reason to believe that they could make the power menu optional. As well they could make the emergency alert optional (ideally only showing up if you have bothered to select a contact for notification...)

One should not rule out doing easy things just because difficult things also exist.

Let's not ignore solving the common cold because cancer exists.

If Garmin has the ability to make some customers happy, easily, then they should do that. Just because you don't see the need does not mean that the need does not exist. Please don't use your time here to tell others that their opinions don't matter and that Garmin should not be focused on solving them. We are all paying customers and we all deserve to have our voices heard. Please don't use your voice to try to drown out the others. Let Garmin decide.

• Isn't this the forum to discuss.....happy for you to shoot me down on my other suggestions as a vendetta - i am a programmer by career. So i am able to put my feet into Garmins shoes.

Funny how cycling brings together the smartest people.