This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can I turn off the 530 Power Menu? Just want 1-click power down

I don't want to use sleep.

I don't want to use bike alarm.

When I am done with my sync, I just want to hold the power button down for a few seconds and have the device completely power off, like my 510 used to do.

Why is this so hard? While many people hated the touch screen, the buttons are a horrible UI and I really refer the way I would stop a ride and click on the screen to save, it would auto sync and then shut down. This 530, with all of its great new features feels like a real step back.

• I agree. It should be quite easy to choose to enable or disable the Sleep and Alarm functions.

I never leave my Edge devices on my bike at a coffee shop so I have no need for an alarm and I just turn it off while stopped rather than using the sleep option. 

I find it very annoying after a hard indoor session to successfully select the Power Off option and quite often accidentally use sleep and then I have to wake and try again.

• Haha I like how the dev is telling the PM that the idea is too hard to implement. Sounds just like real life. Joy

Jokes aside, I agree that it is a strange UX. It annoys me also (might just be us?) but there are bigger worries in life, so I just ignore the GPS at the end of a ride until it eventually turns off or runs out of battery. To add insult to injury, you can't simply press up to cycle to the bottom (power off) option. You have to press down down.

• 530 has some issues by the Sleep. Sensor connection, battery drain.... If the Sleep has no problems I will use it during a ride.

Regardless of that, I do not want to operate a device as much as possible after a ride. It is a request that is not related to touch or button.

Older devices have auto power down function. It has been changed to auto sleep on 530. Isn't auto sleep selectable with auto power down?

• Yeah, that pretty much sums up real life ;)

The reality is that nobody here truly knows what is or is not easy. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone in the business say "this should be easy" I could pay for all of my development work. 

We shouldn't focus on telling Garmin how to run their business or how to prioritize their work, we should focus on making our voices heard and helping them understand the use cases. They can figure it out from there. Then we buy their products or we don't, so the incentive is on them to make the right calls.

• we need an auto shutdown option, once you save the activity and it uploads, it shuts down

• when you download the updated firmware zip there is a feedback form with this email [email protected] fill out the form with your suggestions maybe some of our ideas can be looked into improving the firmware, I am too a programmer and I have previous made suggestions and have seen changes in new firmware, I have just upgraded from edge510 to 530 after 140k/km

• I also spent 20+ years in the same field, and see enough from Garmin to know that they can't have very good project management, configuration management, release management, fault management or documentation.  It feels to me that if the person who wrote the off menu had left the company, no one would know how it was coded :-)

• I think that exits? Mine seems to shut down automatically 

• Long pressing the power button will power it down.  But if first prompts you if you are in an emergency will send out notification of that if you release during that prompt.  Hold it through that prompt and it will power down.  I'm not sure if that's more convenient or potentially problem-causing than just going through the prompts.

• Yes! Thanks for the tip. I had read this somewhere but never kept holding it down through the emergency prompt.