This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct 2 Solar (Tactical) "Washed Out" Display: Anyone else having this problem w/their display?

T

The GI2 (on right) is much more "washed out" and closer to purple when compared to the original's vibrant blue (on left); both are backlit to 100%. Moreover, the viewing angle on the GI2 is simply terrible... clearly, the new "domed" PowerGlass does not add one of the primary advantages of having a domed crystal which is improving the visibility at acute angles (especially underwater) by mitigating light reflectiveness. I'm not impressed at all. As opposed to the original solar models, the new GI2s have a "full" solar panel behind the display, so this may be the cause of both the tint and viewing discrepancies; I've contacted Garmin support and am waiting for some explanation... hopefully it is just that I may have a defective watch (which can then be replaced by Garmin).  Also, much as I appreciate the improved display resolution of 176x176 (which does make the text look crisper), they've taken advantage of that to make the overall text smaller in order to fit more data displayed on the screen size; that's all well and good, but it does make it more of a strain for legibility... not all of us have a 25 y/o sight. As usual, Garmin did incorporate a font size setting; I've provided them with that feedback and feature suggestion, so hopefully they will add that in a future update.  Has anyone else noticed this issue? 

• Customers are irritated and don't feel Garmin is honest and transparent with their response

There seems to be a communication problem here. In this forum and in this thread there are several examples of the response that Garmin has already communicated. Why do you not understand this answer. Garmin's statement is clear. What is there not to understand about it ? If you think that Garmin will make another statement, you will have a long wait. Save your energy for meaningful things, instead of running after something that is pointless.

• What don't you understand about the complaint that the SEVERAL EXAMPLES you refer all provide DIFFERENT EXPLANATIONS? If Garmin provides varying explanations for the described issue imho it's completely understandable if customers don't feel like Garmin is providing a clear, transparent, uniform explanation that is understandable and satisfactory. 

PS: Why don't you just save your energy and move along, instead of investing lots of time to tell people they should stop their (valid) complaints about a product they purchased?

• What answer did you get from the support ?

• Just to reiterate what has been said in this thread, their are currently two replies coming from Garmin.

The first being the tactical watch was designed to be worn inside the wrist. Which of course doesn't explain why they would make that design for such a limited use case or why it is effecting non tactical users.

The second being the response I was given myself, "The Instinct 2 uses a different display than the instinct 1 so the backlight may have a different hue and the Instinct 2 won't have as steep of a viewing angle". 

However this reply does not explain why viewing the watch from the top side instead of the bottom results in a amazing viewing angle without any polarized washed out effect. In fact, when i replied to the support agent with that exact information he said

"I know exactly what you're describing, and can see it myself. I added a comment specifying what you mentioned, and that I can see myself. If looking at the 'top' if the watch, at an angle and rotating it to align the watchface, the screen does not 'wash out' like it does if doing the same thing from the 'bottom' of the screen. I don't disagree with anything you said, that's just what I have available to me regarding that issue. "

I agree with you at this point I think its a lost cause. Although the answer does not actually address the issue I find once a company makes a comment such as above it nearly never changes even when it actually avoids the actual problem. Thats why people are upset. They are not stupid and see this answer does not accurately address the issue. That's also why some are holding out hope Garmin does correctly address the issue with either a answer that makes sense (EG improved daytime performance with this screen polarization orientation and was designed this way on purpose) or a fix.

I'd also like to add as more users buy the Instinct 2 and more notice the problem, their will be more replies here. If you want this stopped it would be simple if Garmin should reply with a message marking this resolved and there explanation. Just as they did with the non-flush bezel issue brought up by some. But they haven't yet. I'm hoping myself because there is still a ongoing internal discussion about the topic. But again my hopes are not high at this point.

Garmin really needs to reply here and be active as they have in almost other thread.

• Sadly, you're not answering, you're just making fun. I don't know what it is, I thought it would highlight the answer. English is not my language, I write via translator.

• Thanks for chiming in and compiling the previously posted responses from Garmin. Interesting to mention the non-flush bezel, because despite having an GI2S affected by this, I was okay with Garmin's response and acknowledgement of the issue (IIRC along "it's within engineering tolerances, we assure you it does not affect performance or waterproofing"). So much for being Karens. ;)

• There are multiple photos here of the problem. If you don't see the problem or don't think it's a problem that's great for you. Go on your way. 

Again the only person talking about a conspiracy here is you. And you're right it is weird. You should probably stop seeing conspiracies everywhere you go. 

You always know you have a good point when you have to break down to correcting someone's Grammer. Here's a article you might find helpful on why you come off so unhelpful and unproductive.

www.google.com/.../people-who-correct-typos-may-be-jerks-study-finds-2016-3?amp

• The problem is the proportionality is not there - Garmin may not be doing a good job here, they may be, but I know from actually seeing an I2S locally that it's not bad like being presented in this thread.  I also know that the amount of crusading here is just plain weird.  Garmin gave answers, they even suggested a way out, but there are a couple people here trying to assemble a movement like it's giving them meaning or something to do.

As far as "grammer" [SIC} goes, it's not 1999 anymore.  We're connected by language and there are increasingly larger numbers of people that think it's cool to get bad grades and want to bring people down to their level, rather than bringing themselves up to the level of others.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with education and learning how to be expressive and properly so in your chosen language.  This applies especially to the internet where it's basically language linking us- be it spoken or written, mathematical, coding language, visual, etc. There's absolutely nothing wrong with correcting people, especially words people learn in the first grade.

Understand that when you can't tell the difference between "there", "their", and "they're" and you're just using them randomly for the same situation or object, then not taking you seriously will just come naturally.  You do see that you championing illiteracy is not you owning me, but it's a self-owning, right?

Whatever era you think you're in where you've convinced yourself that it's cool to not be able to speak or write your native language properly and thus express yourself clearly, it's not that world anymore.  It was for a few years, but don't be surprised when you continue to do it and get negative responses.  Linking nonsense that champions poorly educating yourself is not reflecting anything on it.  It just says your work ethic and educational ethics that you may or may not be passing down will likely perpetuate negative educational outcomes.

• Can you please link to anyone here trying to assemble a movement? I haven't seen that once. Maybe this is why you're coming off like some conspiracy theorist and I'm just missing the post asking for the army I'm not seeing.

I'm not saying education is wrong. I'm saying your acting like a jerk. It's one thing to say "Hey that should be their when its possessive". I would of gone cool I know,  it was just a spelling mistake but thanks. But you added "since it's completely random for you. Maybe Garmin doesn't understand you" your trying to be a jerk and it's working.Don't try and act like some educational saint when your demeanor was clearly to be a jerk about it.