This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct 2 Solar (Tactical) "Washed Out" Display: Anyone else having this problem w/their display?

T

The GI2 (on right) is much more "washed out" and closer to purple when compared to the original's vibrant blue (on left); both are backlit to 100%. Moreover, the viewing angle on the GI2 is simply terrible... clearly, the new "domed" PowerGlass does not add one of the primary advantages of having a domed crystal which is improving the visibility at acute angles (especially underwater) by mitigating light reflectiveness. I'm not impressed at all. As opposed to the original solar models, the new GI2s have a "full" solar panel behind the display, so this may be the cause of both the tint and viewing discrepancies; I've contacted Garmin support and am waiting for some explanation... hopefully it is just that I may have a defective watch (which can then be replaced by Garmin).  Also, much as I appreciate the improved display resolution of 176x176 (which does make the text look crisper), they've taken advantage of that to make the overall text smaller in order to fit more data displayed on the screen size; that's all well and good, but it does make it more of a strain for legibility... not all of us have a 25 y/o sight. As usual, Garmin did incorporate a font size setting; I've provided them with that feedback and feature suggestion, so hopefully they will add that in a future update.  Has anyone else noticed this issue? 

• You're not stating an opinion.  You're bullying and trying to somehow assemble a movement behind you. Maybe you can't get a return and you're hoping for Garmin to do it, I don't know, but rhey said their side, they're being transparent and responding to you, but it's not enough for you and you want to continue fighting this out.  The pictures are suspect as well.  Garmin has been great in my contacts with them about another issue, in stark contrast to Coros and the performance of the Instinct Solar has been noticeably better and more reliable than the Vertix, so I will continue to laugh about threatening to go to Coros.  It's beyond obvious the marketers are obsessed with social networking and virality and have no clue about technical details, functionality, or accuracy while out in the elements.  You will learn that if you make good on your threat to Garmin.

To be honest, this thread made me hesitate on my returning my Instinct Solar Tactical due to a minor issue and then trading ip to an Instinct 2 Solar Tactical, but it went from concern to feeling bad for what Garmin is dealing with in trying to satisfy you.  In my case, they connected with my via PM and were completely awesome and offered suggestions in a transparent way.  It's just me hesitating, but I really think we have a Karen here that wants to speak to a manager.

• leading to me accidentally upvoting myself while trying to upvote someone else's post. 

Joy

• I think you mistake me with someone else. I never "threatened" Garmin, never talked about Coros or whatever.

Owning both IG1S and not IG2S, I simply agree with the complaints other customers expressed concerning the display issues. And I questioned and now ridicule the aggressiveness and toxicity  some customers/shills bring with them when they jump to Garmins defense.

There are several customers complaining in forums and on Reddit about display issues with the new Instinct series (and apparently also the new Descent G1) and they are not satisfied with Garmin's responses and wildly differing explanations for the issue so far. 

• I'm actually someone who would call out "toxicity" and to use that where it's not applicable is abhorrent.

If there are customers elsewhere, assemble them in a central place to make a movement out of it.  I've asked around and I tested an IS2 in-store and the "issue" you have is nowhere even close to what is being complained about.  And to claim "shill" is a rich one, considering I have a post history here AND I also asked for verification information earlier in the thread AND gave my own input with the IS1 to clarify the issue with the 2.

I think the toxicity is coming from you claiming "bootlicker" like a sovereign citizen.  It's inappropriate and is not helping matters.

I just have regrets hesitating too much while reading this thread and missing a temporary low in the IS2T to swap my IS1T for.

• Believe it or not - that happened. To be fair, I kinda multitask with child, homeoffice, lunch preparing and type/read/interact on-the-fly. Sweat smile

• Fair enough. Honest question then; why do you ridicule and negate the complaints about the display and Garmin's lacklustre explanations? Why do you claim this to be a non-issue, based solely on asking around (where?) and checking out an I2S at a store?

"If there are customers elsewhere, assemble them in a central place to make a movement out of it. " -> This is actually happening RIGHT HERE - a central place for a "movement" aka affected customers grouping together and voicing their complaints. A place where Garmin employees (at least in other threads) read and respond.

Why do you think that the official Garmin customer forum is not the THE place to jointly express customer complaints?

Me challenging Garmin fanbois and shills here (which just started today, because apparently we moved past constructive criticism) is just as helpful as them declaring the display issue and everyone experiencing it is a non-issue. If you don't have an issue or don't want to participate in the discussion of said issue constructively - why don't you just move elsewhere?

And again; Garmin employees that are very active and helpful in other threads have not yet responded to the display issue in any meaningful way (if they did indeed, please feel free to correct me and point me to their comments), which I can understand irritates customers here.

• "Ridiculing complaints" is something I didn't do.  You are framing now.  What I called out was how this whole thing is going deep into Karen territory and I called out the Coros threat because that absolutely is ridiculous (and proven so by the reply about the reviews).  I'm on Garmin now due to the frustration with the Vertix, the constant lying of the company, pretending they are fixing all the issues, the marketing company pretending it is the actual company, suggesting that the users implement workarounds for all the bugs and bad engineering, and the fear that the battery is going to ignite at any time because the monitoring circuitry and systems are buggy.  The list goes on and on, but at the very least, that should be seen as something helpful.

"Why do you think that the official Garmin customer forum is not the THE place to jointly express customer complaints?"

I don't.  You're framing again.  Reddit was discussed and not from me.  Assemble everyone together.  What it looks like here is a couple people are inciting one another and then wondering why more people aren't getting incited and in their incited state, don't know why they're not getting the answers they want from a company that is still responding to them.

Not only that, the issue you're speaking of is not really as bad as you're making it and others have called out the bad pics that make it look like the I2S was made to look worse.

I'm finding yet another problem: that you and the other are now reframing and gaslighting things that never happened.  The fact is Garmin seems to have tried to give you everything they could on the topic and they can't give anything more.  People aren't rallying around you because the complaint is a bit suspect with regard to the pics and that IRL it's absolutely not as bad as it's being made out.  Then no one knows what you ultimately want.  Are you guys looking for cash compensation from Garmin?  They said this is how it is, return the watch if it doesn't fit the needs.  You won't return the watches, nor will you stop fighting Garmin.  It really looks like you're looking to get paid out of this or something.

• The fact you can put "You're framing" and "What it looks like here" in the same sentence and not see the irony is hilarious to me. You've turned this thread with multiple customers complaints into a giant argument that it's not. Then claim people are gaslighting you as try and tell them what their "real" intentions are and what they must be looking for.

They only person here who is making this into conspiracies, is you. You really need to stop making up situations and implications about others intentions. At what point has the person you responded to asked for compensation from Garmin? At what point has any other user here? This is the longest thread in this forum and there's not one call for anything you posted about. People bought this watch because they liked it features and want to use it. They found a problem and are trying to work with Garmin to resolve it. If Garmin can't and it does not meed needs returning the product and trying another is a reasonable resolution That's all. The conspiracy theories you have built up in your head about someone trying to form a army is very strange. You might want to ask yourself why you're having these conspiracy thoughts and what can you do to look at things more rationally.

• 1) "I gotta be honest, while this thread is of major interest to me, it really sounds like a bunch of whiney Karens getting all uoset that Garmin isn't answering them [...]" How is it more helpful to call customers complaining here "whiny Karens" and how is this not ridiculing complaints and negating their complaints? I don't care about any other brands you and others users mentioned and cannot relate to this, but ofc this is helpful for others thinking about them as alternatives.

Now imagine someone comes along and says that your experience doesn't matter and you just sound like some butthurt customer that was just expecting way too much from Coros or Vertix or whatever and now has to vent his frustration in some Garmin thread. How would you feel?

2) Reddit was only mentioned by me and others because there are users there that (at least some of them, afai can tell) independently from this thread here posted about the display issue and uploaded their photos to showcase it.

Some more examples: 

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/instinct-2-series/286568/unreadable-at-night

https://www.reddit.com/r/Garmininstinct/comments/sw1cod/gi2_tactical_solar_display_comparison/

You come here and complain that customers act like Karens when most of the customers complaining here are simply not satisfied with the explanations Garmin provided.

Garmin providing explanations to the issue that customers have BTW means Garmin ACKNOWLEDGES that the IG2's display is different to the IG1's! 

Customers are irritated and don't feel Garmin is honest and transparent with their response, because the explanations provided wildly differ from each other - is it now just a different display used that has a different hue? Or is it intentional design, because users should wear the IG2 tacticool inside the wrist?

3) "People aren't rallying around you because the complaint is a bit suspect with regard to the pics and that IRL it's absolutely not as bad as it's being made out."

I never called for a rally, I never threatened with a return, etc. Again I think you mistake me with some other user(s). I just chimed in when people like you simply told the affected customers here that they should stop being Karens because there is no problem and Garmin did everything they could. As I said I have both the GI2 Solar Tactical and the new GI2 Solar Tactical (actually the I1 Solar Tactical is currently borrowed by my brother, but I can see that i get it back to take some more photos, if you wish) and I can tell you - while maybe for you and others there is not an issue, there is definitely an issue with my GI2. If you want me to, I will record a video to showcase the issue.

Ever thought that maybe the issue is not appearing at all (or as severe) for you and others? Which would further indicate that it's a manufacturing error and not intended design?