After 26.00 'Follow a Course' does not work for elevation on a Smart Trainer

A per the title, since version 26, Elevation does not work when following a course on a Smart Trainer.

Before, I would create a course and then follow it on the the trainer and it all worked as expected - resistance changed to match the terrain, and elevation appeared in Garmin Connect.

Since 26.00 I have the following issues:

1) The Smart Trainer resistance does not change

2) If you 'View Profile' before riding the course looks normal, but as soon as you start riding, the profile is crazy. See the attached images of the same 29.65Km course on the watch on Preview (green) and once I started the activity (blue).

3) Connect records some ridiculous statistics for elevation, I only rode 1.5km of the course in the images because it clearly wasn't working, but when I uploaded it anyway out of curiosity, Conect shows I rode 1.5km at a constant elevation of 500 million metres. 

I'd really appreciate some acknowledgement that Garmin is aware of the problem. I emailed support on 18/6 days and have had no reply as of 23/6 other than the auto reply confirming receipt.

Is this an issue anyone else is having? This is one of the main functions I bought the watch for and previously it worked well.

EDIT to add image from Garmin Connect showing Elevation data of c.500 million metres for the bit of the course I rode.

• Since you and I have already been speaking offline through private messaging, please refer to my last Private Message sent. Thank you.

• What is the update now? Will we get this Follow Course working with Trainer Grade (Elevation) like before?

• Having the same problem, have been for months. Frustrating to see such a poor response. This isn’t a new feature, but one that the watch was advertised as having when I purchased it. 

• Hi Chris - your last private message to me was in October last year, and in it you suggested that the Beta software would maybe fix it (it did not) or that I could restore older firmware which would mean I could not use Garmin Connect or update the maps.

I think it is more useful for the forum community if all this information is in the main forum so we all know where we are up to.

Can you confirm that Engineering guarantee that at some point they will fix the feature which - to reiterate - the watch was sold as having, and the software update released by Garmin broke 7 months ago?

• Will we get this Follow Course working with Trainer Grade (Elevation) like before?

Engineering has been updated the current Beta software has not resolved the issue and they continue to work on resolving the software issue.

• Can you ask them what they have changed? It worked. They broke it 7 months ago. The tone of the replies on here implies they have been trying to fix it ever since. Surely it can't be that difficult? And also, given it was confirmed as a repeatable fault 7 mionths ago, they knew it wasn't fixed in the Beta because presumably it doesn't work on any Fenix 6? Can you confirn, or does it work on some watches and not others? I can't imagine how it not working in the Beta is news to Engineering?

Also I'd still like confimation that updates will not stop until the feature that was one of the reasons I bought the watch, and which it was advertising as having, is fixed.

• I totally agree. 7 Months ago this feature war one of the best features of the watch. I really would appreciate a fix, since the Winter is almost gone Sob.

• I am now using Beta 26.86.

This feature still does not work.

Could someone from Garmin confirm:

What testing has been done on this feature - do you think it works?

Have there been any changes to the code for this function since the last Beta?

Is this feature not working on other Garmin products, or is it just the Fenix 6 that is broken?

Assuming it works on other products, and with the knowledge that it worked on the Fenix 6 prior to software v26, is there any reason why the sub routine for this can’t just be copied from a working source?

What reassurances can you offer me that you will not break other functions of your devices in future and then seem apparently unable to fix them?

Can we have a firm date for when this will be fixed, and / or can you offer an exchange for a watch on which it does work? I think waiting 8 months for a fix to a problem Garmin created is patient enough, frankly.

• Would be nice to get it fixed ASAP. I bought a smart trainer in October and I had to pay for another subscription app because the follow a course or direct ERG control of the trainer is broken. It lasts couple of second and then completely free, no ERG. Would be nice if you can send us a working fenix 7 if you can’t fix the code

• Does the direct control for a training plan not work either? I only really used it for 'Follow a Course' and like you I have been using an app since Garmin broke it in an upgrade (avoiding having to use an app was why I bought the watch in the first place) I only use the watch to record the rides now - al the control comes form there app - apart from occasionally testing 'Follow a Course'