After 26.00 'Follow a Course' does not work for elevation on a Smart Trainer

A per the title, since version 26, Elevation does not work when following a course on a Smart Trainer.

Before, I would create a course and then follow it on the the trainer and it all worked as expected - resistance changed to match the terrain, and elevation appeared in Garmin Connect.

Since 26.00 I have the following issues:

1) The Smart Trainer resistance does not change

2) If you 'View Profile' before riding the course looks normal, but as soon as you start riding, the profile is crazy. See the attached images of the same 29.65Km course on the watch on Preview (green) and once I started the activity (blue).

3) Connect records some ridiculous statistics for elevation, I only rode 1.5km of the course in the images because it clearly wasn't working, but when I uploaded it anyway out of curiosity, Conect shows I rode 1.5km at a constant elevation of 500 million metres. 

I'd really appreciate some acknowledgement that Garmin is aware of the problem. I emailed support on 18/6 days and have had no reply as of 23/6 other than the auto reply confirming receipt.

Is this an issue anyone else is having? This is one of the main functions I bought the watch for and previously it worked well.

EDIT to add image from Garmin Connect showing Elevation data of c.500 million metres for the bit of the course I rode.

• I can post images when I’m on my laptop but it’s different than it was but ultimately it’s still the same - the green route profile preview looks fine. Once you start riding it Has insane numbers for elevation. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member 5 months ago

as i already wrote, i went back to 25.10 and since then it works again. i gave up waiting for garmin months ago. the problem is that not many things from the connect store can be installed anymore, but i can live with that.

garmin has definitely lost me as a customer for the next watch or other hardware like indoor trainers.

• I just loaded 26.82 on my Fenix 6 Pro and still have the same issue. This beta did Not fix the issue. Has anyone reported that this works for them? This has been really frustrating since I worked for over an hour tonight trying to figure out why this stopped working...just to find out it was a software update that broke it.  

Has anyone backdated with success? I assume pre 26.00 will work like it used to?

• Has anyone backdated with success? I assume pre 26.00 will work like it used to?

As w01f  above reported and a contributor in another thread reported going back to v25.10 worked for them.

Unfortunately it would appear that very few use the trainer control feature on their watches so reports of success and failure are few and far between. I have used it in the past but find it much easier to use my Edge 1030 Plus,

• I don't know where you are getting the data to support very few people using this feature - but regardless of usage numbers, it is a feature it was advertised as having which Garmin broke seven months ago.

It is frankly unacceptable that they haven't fixed it yet. I have no desire to mess about rolling back software and losing settings to regain a feature that should have been restored a long time ago.

I guess we're still at the 'your concerns are important to us and we'll definitely fix them as soon as we can' stage, like we have been for seven months @garmin - Chris?

• The goal continues to be the issue will be resolved in the next official Fenix 6 series update after the current Beta phase is completed. However, there is not a guarantee of the timeline since unexpected issues can come up during the Beta phase.

• Same issue here... I'm using a Fenix 6x and a Wahoo Kickr Core. No Elevation adjustments when following a course.

• I have recently got an Elite Justo trainer and I am not able on garmin 26.00 to maintain the power of the ERG mode. If I set 260W on the trainer the garmin will set the power for 3 seconds after which the trainer goes back in free mode (no ERG control). I have tested the same with Zycle ZDrive smart trainer and also there the power control from the garmin stops working after 3 seconds

• It's been 7 months, and it's not like it's a new feature. It's a feature that was working perfectly well until version 26.00 broke it.

I fail to see how it can be so difficult to fix that after seven months there is no fix, and no guarantee of a timeline for a fix. With each "we're hopeful it will be fixed by [date] post" my confidence in there ever being a fix fades.

Can you guarantee that it will eventually be fixed at some point before the match is obsolete? At the moment it seems more probable that the watch will be no longer supported before a feature that was one of the key features I wanted in the watch is fixed.