Fenix 6 Series - 20.42 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

This update does bring in a modification to the software update process: If you load 20.42 to your device, disconnect, and choose to install later, it will delay the installation 2 hours and you will then get a prompt and a 30 second countdown. This process is only available if you are updating from 20.41 to 20.42.

20.42 Change Log Notes:

• Improved robustness to nightly altitude calibration.
  • Fixed altitude flatline bug.
  • Fixed potential issue on device boot.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models)6.15
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• It seems very clear that Garmin don't have any control over the software = useless programmers. The watch itself is very good looking but lacks the software stability, well Garmin watches in general is having the same issues. Garmin is having big issues with this topic and to be honest, I don't think they ever will manage to have a good balance between the hardware/software. So, we need to live with a nice looking watch with internal issues. I have seen this *** now for many years (12+) and have had a good amount of patience and no improvements,really. For every new update, we will get new problems that will never be resolved. In my watch, the altitude goes daily from hell to heaven even (that can be anything, just use your imagination). This is a sport watch, no Mars Landing Vehicle.So what to do, stay with Garmin or choose something else? What else is good?

• It seems very clear that Garmin don't have any control over the software = useless programmers.

I think it's a little unfair to blame the programmers.

With this altitude issue, the fundamental flaw is that they are trying to do calibration indoors, when this is an outdoor watch. That is a design flaw.

And there are obvious QA issues where software that isn't even at alpha level is released as beta software - there seems to be little quality control and little evidence of internal testing. 

That is a corporate mindset that can be hard to change at the programmer level.

• Ok, you might be right about the programmers, but it feels like they have no idea of what they are doing. Corporate mindset, that I can believe. Seems like a gap between CEO and programmer.

• Ok, you might be right about the programmers, but it feels like they have no idea of what they are doing.

Altitude seemed to work quite well before this change - and it's likely to be the same programmers.....

My opinion - and that's just my opinion, I have no insight here - is that this new altitude algorithm was actually crafted with the Epix / Fenix 7 and rolled into the Fenix 6 so they can maintain a common codebase as it's very late in the Fenix 6 product cycle to introduce this change otherwise. I doubt the programmers had much say in the matter.

• After reading all the posts in this thread I still don't understand if it's worth upgrading from 20.30 to 20.42? With the altimeter and barometer everything continues to work exactly as it did at 20.30 or there are improvements. Or has it gotten worse?

• Altitude seemed to work quite well before this change - and it's likely to be the same programmers.....

I always had problems with altimeter, even with v13...  not of this magnitude, but still.

I always return to my place after an activity with at least 10 m of elevation more. Never less, always more. Sometimes I go upstairs and it detects 3 m more correctly, and when I go downstairs it doesn't detect it and I'm still 3 m higher.

It seems that it has lots of troubles converting to elevation change when the pressure increases, and less troubles when it decreases.

• In that line, I must say that the previous stable build (19.30 if I´m not wrong) was by far the best in all regards. The altimeter was spot on after hours of cycling: When coming back to initial place there was no noticeable drift.

• At the beginning of the morning the altitude went down to 4m.
    I then recalibrated via DEM at 18m.
    After a couple of hours at home it raised to 26m. No floors climbed at all.

The pressure outside is quite stable, on a very sunny day. If 20.41 was trash during activities, 20.42 is "only" very bad all day long.

• The pressure outside is quite stable

Today everything is stable for me - even the morning altitude is correct! 192 feet matches the most authoriative source of UK elevation data, Ordnance Survey

Over the last 3 days the black watch with 18.77b has been perfect at 192 feet, and the titanium watch with 20.42b has moved up and down a bit, but not today. Even 1 point change on baro didn't change altitude.

Very strange - why is it working now!?